Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans Experts: Help me narrow down my restaurant list!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a former NO resident (childhood) returning w/dh for our anniversary in July (grandparents are watching our two young children so this is a big break for us!).

We are set for breakfast/brunch/lunch meals but I like to try places I haven't been before for dinner. We will definitely, however, being going to Commanders on our actual anniversay as it is our favorite. We are not interested in going to Galatoires (bad past experience). Though we loved Arnaud's and NOLA, we went on our last NO vaca and would rather try different spots. We will be staying in the French Quarter without a car and prefer place to which we can walk. Looking for places with a definite New Orleans (cajun/creole) influence. We have 3 dinners open. Considering high or low end - love great atmosphere. What do you suggest?

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:12 AM

We're from Baton Rouge and love Irene's in the Quarter and Dick and Jenny's on Tchoupatoulas. Irene's doesn't take reservations so go early around 6 p.m. or earlier if a weekend. You'll need a cab for Dick and Jenny's. It's worth it.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

I had been ruling out Irene's because it is italian, but recently I heard it has a cajun sort of influence so is unlike any other italian. I mentioned it to dh last night and he thinks it sounds great, so it is on the short list. I imagine the wait would be less on a weeknight than weekend.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Technically I don't suppose I'm narrowing down as I don't really have a list, but given my criteria, what would recommend?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:23 AM

I absolutely loved NOLA when I was there in February, but since you have already been (and are having a fancy/fabulous meal at Commander's Palace), I'll recommend a low-key place: The Gumbo Shop. Lots of cajun/creole basics, and in expensive. Cool atmosphere w/ a "courtyard" area as well as the main dining room. It's on St. Peter's, south of Pat O's, I believe.
Another suggestion that I thought was good several years ago (but didn't make it there this time): Mr. B's Bistro.
My friends who're from New Orleans love Emeril's and Delmonico.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:14 AM

I'll second the Gumbo Shop..and we loved our meal at Stella! the last time we were there. Try the jazz brunch at Arnaud's..it was one of our most memorable meals.
cheers,
CC
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:21 PM

Irene's is great and your friend is right, it's one of several local Italian restaurants w/ a strong Creole influence (think pasta w/ oysters and a garlicky bordelaise sauce).

My favorite dinner places these days are outside of the quarter--Dick & Jenny's (previously mentioned), Gabrielle, Brigtsen's, and Upperline are faves. D&J's also doesn't take reservations, but the others do. BTW, Brigtsen's has a fantasic early-evening menu special... 3 courses for less than $20.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Nobody hears much about Broussard's restaurant, but it's simply the best upper class restaurant in New Orleans. It's patronized mostly by locals who know a good thing. It has all the Cajun influence and is a lovely place to dine, including a romantic courtyard if you like to eat outside. It's pricey, but having been to essentially every restaurant in N.O., I can tell you that Broussard's is not only the best but is worth the money. You'll have to make a reservation, and I think they now even have a website that will allow you to reserve ahead of time. By the way, it's right in the French Quarter so you won't have a long walk. If you don't enjoy your meal there, post when you get back. I've never heard anyone complain. Good luck.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:59 PM

I should add that you only go to Broussard's for a nice dinner. And they like to see you dress reasonably well -- jackets for gentlemen, with or without ties, are preferred. It's a classy place, with food to match. Good luck.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

How about Jacquimos (sp?)? We saw a piece about it on the Food Network and one local recommended it us a couple of years ago, but I heard there is a new chef? Any thoughts? How far a cab ride is it from the quarter?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Here's my repetitous response, snow:

Emeril's Delmonico. Our evening there was absolutely wonderful.

When we return to NO it will be for longer than four nights, just so we can do the three Emeril restaurants, and the Rib Room, and Coops, and Broussard's, and...
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

We did REALLY enjoy NOLA so have been thinking about another one of Emeril's.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:21 PM

My favorites: Bayonas, Mr. B's Bistro, NOLA, Pelican Club
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:33 PM

I absolutely love the Pelican Club, and it hardly ever gets mentioned here. Irene's is also good. I have dreams about the softshell crab with linguine from Irene's!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

So here is my current list for our four nights:

Commander's Palace
Irene's
Mr B's
Jacque Imo's

I know there have been reports of JacqueImo's becoming touristy and not as good as it used to be (though really, aren't most good restaunts in NO frequented by tourists since it is such a popular city to visit?). However I looked at their menu online and I don't think I can resist trying it!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Snowrooster - looks like some good choices -

I have a question for anyone who has been to Brigsten's, does it have a dress code? What would be considered appropriate dress (for men) for this restaurant? I know can always call the restaurant, but would like some feedback from diners who've been there.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:48 AM

I will say that I haven't eaten there, but Mr. B's didn't look that unique on our last visit..restaurant or the menu. I think some other choices would be more interesting if your choices aren't set in stone.
cheers,
CC
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Mr. B's would have been one of my choices, I think they are great.

Irene's is good, but it would be the first to be cut from my list, in favor of some of the other restaurant's mentioned.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:39 AM

I had dinner at Galatoires on Sunday and really enjoyed it. Food and service were superb. It "is what it is" in terms of menu, etc. It's an old-line New Orleans restaurant where locals go to be seen. I can see where it's not everyone's idea of a great night out.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

We were treated VERY poorly at Galatoire's when we went during our younger years (right out of college) and won't return based on principle alone (it is one of my dad's favorites, so I realize others like it quite a bit).

We want restaurants that are cajun/creole or have a strong cajun/creole influence (versus just "contemporary") and prefer those we can walk to in the French Quarter (obviously we'll be cabbing it to Commander's and JacqImo's). Mr B's seems to get good reviews from a lot of sources, is in the Quarter, and I've never had a bad meal at a Brennan's family restaurant. I guess that's why it is on the list. I wasn't crazy about the Irene's idea but SO many people have good things to say about it and dh fell in love w/the idea of italian w/creole flair so now he really wants to go. We're not going until July, so I have lots of time to mull over additional suggestions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -