Search

5 days in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
rma
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days in NYC

Hi! My husband and I are taking our first trip to New York City in August. What area of New York would you recommend we stay in? We want to be close enough to some tourist attractions but also close to some nightlife (restaurants, pubs, shows...). Where would you recommend we stay?
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM

C'mon rma! You have to give us more info!!

Budget?
Age?
Interests?

I am sure you have checked the thousands of other posts on the same subject for ideas.....hmmmmmmmm?

This is ONE BIG CITY!!
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM

I would stay in midtown and I like midtown west a little more but midtown east would be fine, too. If you stay in midtown just don't stay too close to Times Square. Never exactly sure of the boundries of midtown west but it goes from around 29th street to 59th at the bottom of Central Park and from 6th Avenue (sometimes 5th) west to the Hudson River. I prefer to stay above 48th or 49th Street which gets you away from Times Square and usually closer to 6th Avenue. The location is good for sights like Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music and the Museums. This is right on the border of midtown west and midtown east. It's also convenient if you are going to be seeing some Broadway shows.

Really in NYC everything is convenient because of the subway. Recently I have stayed in the Upper West Side because my friend lives there but I also like the Downtown areas such as Soho, Tribeca or the Village. There are a lot more hotels in midtown Manhattan so finding something that fits your budget might be a deciding factor.

I found this website that shows the different neighborhoods. Very helpful. http://newyorkcity2005.web.infoseek...._west-map.html
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 01:26 PM

There is a box above titled "view by state," click on NY there have been extensive discussions on you all your questions. After reading them you can ask more specific questions.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Being near a subway is more important than which particular area. Sightseeing is spread out and certainly there are restaurants almost everywhere. The Broadway theaters are in the west 40's-50's (midtown west or Times Square area). Most first time visitors think that's where they HAVE to stay but it's not for everyone as it's very congested. I'd find hotels within your budget and then narrow options based on location and reviews. It's been busy in NYC this summer so August prices are higher than they've been in the past.

kayak.com, oyster.com and quikbook.com are good sites for shopping hotels.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 04:47 PM

Agree that NYC has been even more crowded than usual. It took me an extra 10 minutes to get to work this am due to all the sardines packing onto the top of the innumerable sightseeing buses double and even triple parked on 7th avenue.

Unless you want to do a LOT of theater I would stay in an area that is less frantic than Times Square - either upper west side ro central park south or perhaps downtown. Sights are spread out all over the city (central park and many museums uptown; theaters and traditional shopping midtown; trendy shopping, trendy/expensive nightlife, cutesy village and access to SoL, Ellis Island et al downtown). Agree that being near a subway is the most important factor.

Oh - and there are dozens and dozens of good restaurants almost everywhere (Times Square is one area that's a problem with a lot of overprices, awful chain places).
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 04:27 AM
rma
Original Poster

Sorry about that!
Budget: we don't want to go crazy but would consider $100 - $200 a night.
Age: We're both in our late 30's so an area that is fun but we don't want the hotel to be on a really noisy street where you can't get any sleep at night.
Interests: We want to see everything although I know that we won't have the time to. Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller, Twin towers memorial, Time Square, Central Park, Empire State Building, Wall Street, the Guggenheim. We also want to shop and try and get stand by tickets for Saturday Night Live or Jimmy Kimmel.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 08:39 AM

First of all, the lower end hotels, go for around $200 with taxes and fees, unless you want to stay in Queens or a room with a shared bath. Given your price range, your hotel choices will be limited, so you can consider the best location based on affordable hotels.

For starters, plug your dates in Kayak and see what's available in your price range. Then research specific hotels here and on tripadvisor.

You may want to consider bidding on Priceline to get the best bang for the buck. Check biddingfortravel.com for info on that.

As far as location, the Guggenheim to Wall Street is probably somewhere are 5-6 miles, so no 1 location puts you near everything.

As long as you are located near a subway (which almost all hotel locations are), you'll be in good shape
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:13 AM

I would check quikbook, travelzoo, as well as expedia for hotels. I hesitate to use Hotwire or Priceline unless you can figure out the hotel.

This May I stayed at Fitzpatrick Grand Central which has a convenient location two blocks from the east side of Grand Central station. This made it easy to get around by subway (and I also used the busses on Lexington and Madison). I found them on travelzoo.

http://www.fitzpatrickhotels.com/grand-central/
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:32 AM

I don't think first time visitors to NYC need to stay in Midtown but it is convenient to many of the tourist sights particularly those visisted by first timers. I agree that being close to a subway is the most important. You will notice that when I mentioned Midtown, I said to stay away from Times Square. I prefer the higher 50's which would also be considered Central Park South I guess. But hotels in that area are usually more expensive.

I have noticed that prices are much higher this August than last August when I was there. Was checking out them out myself as I had thought about coming in August but am now planning for Oct (which I know is expensive but I got a great deal at Radio City Apartments-not my favorite location but willing to deal with that for the price).

If your budget is $100-200 that is going to limit you. I would book something right away that you can cancel and then try Priceline a little closer to the time.

The Lucerne on the Upper West Side has prices close to $200 and it is a popular hotel. I also just got by TravelZoo for the week and the Wyndham Times Square South is on there with a great discount. It's not my favorite location but the hotel is relatively new and gets great reviews. It's close to Penn Station.
http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/new-...um=email_top20

Maybe check out a few hotels in your price range and then come back and ask some questions.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:14 AM

Also, when checking prices, if you have AAA, check the hotels directly for possible special rates. Most booking sites, don't show AAA or similar discounts.

I agree with Paula, book something that can be canceled, and look into Priceline bidding. With Priceline, you may be able to get a 4* for less $200, and a 3* for close to $100 (based on biidingfortravel posts).
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Fitzpatrick Grand Central is listed on Travelzoo at the moment, although the discount is blacked out Aug. 2-5, & 9-12. Otherwise it's $169 F-Sun night and $40 more during the week. Quite a good price for a decent-sized (for NYC) updated room in a central location, and it is cancellable with short notice.

Here is the offer link.

http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/new-york/846470/
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:58 AM

Agree if you can find a decnet place for $200 per night (and don;t forget that taxes are about 15% on top of the listed rate) you should grab it. August rates are usually fairly low but there don't seem to be too many deals this year.

Forget $100 - that won;t get you anything unless you're willing to bid blind - and even then it may not be a very nice place.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Look up Gerswhin and Park Savoy to see if either is in your price range. The latter has better location a block or 2 south of Central Park. Both are priced well. Gershwin down near Flatbush Building but not far from subway and Madison Park. Both are basic hotels but prices used to be very reasonable.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM
rma
Original Poster

Okay, forget the budget for the hotel. Clearly, I need to spend more. What's the best area to stay in so that we're in a hotel that's safe and not too far from some night life.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Many areas qualify. First see what's available in your budget, and people can advise on pros/cons.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Ok,,,,,first stop now and go take 2 advil,,,,,,I'll wait................

Ok you're back? I asked you to take the advil because you are about to get a bad headache from sticker shock when you see the prices being charged for hotel rooms this summer. I was teasing someone recently that it feels like you are actually buying the room not renting it,,,,but that's New York.

As you start your search, check ALL the discount websites because "deals" come and go quickly, so try all of them
hotels.com, hotwire.com, so you get some ideas of the prices the hotels are charging this summer.

I have to say that I was downtown yesterday and even in this HEAT, it seemed that there were alot more tourists visiting this summer than I have ever noticed before, the crowds on 34th St were nose to nose, and don't get me started on the subwayssssssssssss. I'm back to taking the bus for the rest of the summer.

Ok there litterally HUNDREDS of hotels in the city, I even saw one yesterday I have never heard of before on Madison
Ave The Hotel Wales.

The hotels in the city range from inexpsive (nothing is cheap here) and go to $thousands a night, but most are inbetween.

If you want a newer hotel that is cute, well priced and in a good location, try The Ace, (www.acehotel.com), the area is quiet at night and you are very close to shopping, restaurants and within walking distance to Times Square.

Do NOT stay at a hotel on 32nd between 5th and 6th, that is Little Korea and is busy 24/7 and loud at night even on the upper floors.

In that immediate area are the Gershwin, (inexpensive), Roger Williams, (a bit nicer but still well priced) The Carlton (in the same league as the RW), The Giraffe (on Park Ave, close to subways and a bit more expsensive), or knock yourself out and stay at The Palace (one of the most expensive in the city and I have to say my favorite hotel, for location and amenities).

Soooooooooo, look around and let us know if you have any other questions.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:17 PM

When people visit us they often stay at the Prk South on East 28th Street.

Even though NYC is the safest large city in America and the tourist areas are all in safe areas, of course, no one can guarantee another's safety.

Night life exists throughout New York with the exception of the finnacial district. It is 24 hour city with bars, restaurants, night clubs, open all hours in different areas.

I think you need to purchase a guide book and Become familiar with what is and what is not New Yotk.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Park Savoy is in great area.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:53 PM

rma - I agree with travelbuff's tip on taking an advil before looking at hotel prices. I asked a similar question not long ago. A friend had told me that rates were around $250 per night for nothing special. I thought to myself that with some tips and sleuthing, I'd find something much better. After posting up here and then searching for hotels, I had serious sticker shock. My friend was right. After looking at enough rates, $250 starts to sound cheap and that's a problem.

If you click on my user id, you can see some of the tips that were given to me. So far, the best deal we've found is at Club Quarters with an alumni association rate. Other things we considered but didn't choose (at least yet) were staying at a VRBO or outside the city.

A couple of years ago, I went with a group and stayed in NJ near Meadowlands. A charter bus took us into the city. However, we did take the bus one day. I looked at their rates after the sticker shock incident. Their rate is closer to $100. It's not as handy - but certainly cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -