Search

Where to stay NYC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Beverly

Where to stay NYC

We are planning a first time trip to NYC. What is the best area to stay to experience the real NYC. Can anyone recommend a hotel and area, the best tour and any other tips? We would like to utilize subways and buses for getting around.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:58 AM
me

There have been many threads on this. Many areas are great to stay in. In general, I think the east side of Midtown (30s - 60s, east of 5th Av) is very convenient, near lots of transportation and walking distance to many sites, stores and restaurants. There are also some nice places to stay on central park west, which is a very nice neighborhood. The times sq area i think, is congested and noisy. A quieter, more residential neighborhood with shops and restaurants in the area I think would be most pleasant for any visitor, 1st time or not. Buses and subways area ccesible from almost anywhere. What price range are you interested in? You may want to consider priceline.com for a great deals on some very nice NYC hotels, see biddingfortravel.com for info on priceline bidding.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Pittsburgher

I made my first trip to NYC about 3 yrs ago, have since been back 3 other times. First, second and third trips we stayed on Upper West Side (Hotel Beacon @ 75th & Broadway, Milburn Hotel @ W. 76th, then at a privately-rented studio just off Central Park at about 62nd). When I took my daughter in May, we stayed at Hilton Towers near Rockefeller Center. I MUCH prefer the Upper West Side to midtown -- much more to do, more mid-price hotels & restaurants, convenient to wonderful groceries, interesting shops, and very convenient to the subway & Central Park. That said, I do want to try staying in lower Manhattan/Greenwich Village etc. on a future trip. Do take advantage of the buses & subways -- a day pass is a great bargain, esp. when you just want to sit for a few minutes and watch the city go by (on the bus, of course!) Have a fabulous time -- I guess my best tip would be to take the Circle Line tour at sunset if it's offered -- it's a beautiful way to see the city. As is walking across Brooklyn Bridge . . . wherever you go will be amazing!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:03 AM
me

Do a textsearch on "nyc hotels" or "nyc hotel", lots of info that may be useful, will come up.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Howard

BEverly, there are literally hundreds (thousands?) of places to stay in New York. If you give us a price range, you'll get more helpful feedback!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:38 AM
xxx

For your first visit, stay in Midtown East or West between 42nd and 59th. More of a - you are now in New York City- feel.