Help Please - Which Hotel in Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming over to Boston for some Christmas Shopping from Scotland. We have narrowed our choice of hotels down to Copley Marriot or The Elliot. Would like to be situated near shopping, restaurants, bars etc and also trolley stops. Which hotel offers the best in terms of location for the above.

Any advice is appreciated - thanks
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:26 AM

I've stayed at both hotels - they are very different. If your main goal is to get in shopping they both fit the bill. The Copely Marriott is right in the downtown area and attached to a mall. If you want to shop, say at Faneuil Hall, which also has great shopping, you would have to take the "T". Maybe a Bostonian can fill you in on which one. I have stayed at the Eliot a few times as well, I have to say I like it very much and it is very close to Newberry Street, which has a variety of boutique shops that are unique as well as major U.S. stores. However, transportation in the city makes it easy to get around from either location and dining options are abundant in both locations.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The shopping at the Copley/Prudential/Newbury Street area is a lot different than Faneuil Hall. Fan. Hall is mostly overpriced tourist shops with a small number of chain retail stores (Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Bath & Body). The malls at Copley and Prudential and the stores on Newbury Street are the opposite, mostly large chain stores with a handful of tourist junk thrown in. I think you'd be well served for what you're looking for in either the Marriott or the Eliot. I believe there are trolley stops out that way as well, but Fan. Hall is only a handful of stops away on either the Orange or Green line subways.

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Although Fan. Hall has one of the biggest A&F stores I've ever seen - so if you are into their clothes, it is an option (we always make a trip there just for that store). I would agree that there is more "junk" at Faneuil Hall but depending on how long you are in town, it might be something to see (or not). But I did say that the malls are attached at Copely which could come in handy if the weather is snowy, but I believe the Eliot is a nicer hotel and if you are looking for conventional as well as unique gifts, Newberry St. is the place (since "T" stops are all around, you could even stay at the Eliot and shop at Copely. You have many options!

BTW, amyb, is the haymarket open during the winter?

Anyway, Kers, enjoy your visit. I loved Scotland, particularly the drive over from Cambridge - stunning!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:26 AM

As Amy has indicated, in Boston the term "trolley" is generally used only to refer to those special tourist vehicles. Regular undeground/subway transport for everyone else is referred to as the subway or "The T".

Boston is a very compact city and either hotel will be convenient to plenty of shopping etc. I'd choose the Marriott for convenience in case of horrible weather.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
seetheworld - A&F and all the other stores (B&B, Express, etc.) that used to be in that one tall building are gone now at Faneuil Hall. The rents were too high and that entire building is empty now! Has been for all of this year, I think. That doesn't leave much in the way of good affordable shopping there now!

I think Haymarket is open all winter. I walk through there on the way to work daily, but I think I've stopped seeing (and smelling) it after 10 years!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
definately the Elliot you will be next to the subway, walking distance to fine shopping, eating and people watching.
That was the bar there where we locals would meet after the marathon til it went upscale. Should you stay there, stps away on the shopping stret is Newbury Street and Sonsies will be across the street from the hotel, almost
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:09 PM

Amyb, thanks for the info on A&F - I guess we won't make the trek in September and have to buy at home.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't enjoy the fragrance of "fresh" fish on your way to work in the morning
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:44 PM

My pick would be the Copley Marriott. It's connected to Copley Place (http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=784), which is connected to the Prudential Center (http://www.prudentialcenter.com/), both of which are chock full of shopping and dining, even movie theaters. In the wintertime in Boston it is nice to be able to shop and dine, even enjoy cocktails at Top of the Hub, without having to pile on the winter gear (and wear it in overheated stores) and endure the winter weather.

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:20 AM

I have only overnighted in the Copley Marriot before I moved to Boston years ago.

I would suggest the Elliot. It is fairly small (100 rooms) and the service is rumored to be excellent. In addition, it is in a nice building right on Commonwealth Ave., which looks like a large Parisian boulevard.

The Marriot, while a nice hotel, really does not have the same ambience that I would expect from the Elliot.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. I have booked a Premier Suite at the Elliot for the same price as a standard room at The Copley Marriot.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:33 AM

Kers, your gonna love it!!! Have a great trip!!!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:59 AM

Marriott Copley. The hotel is in a nice location. It is steps away from the green line and shopping is everywhere. During the winter, you can travel to both the Prudential or Copley Mall without walking outside. Boston's winters are so cold.