Things to see around Copley Place

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving on Monday for Boston and Maine -- our first trip with our 4 month old. We will be staying at the Marriott Copley Placewhile husband has meetings in Boston (Tue-Fri). I am trying to plan things I can do with 4 mo. old in tow. She is great in a sling and loves to look around but is going through a "no bottle" phase so I am going to be limited to two hour jaunts from the hotel so I can get her fed.

I love history and want to do the freedom trail but can I break it up into segments and go to and from hotel or will the travel time make it not worth it?

I figure I will spend a lot of time just wandering which I love to do. Any other ideas near our hotel? Again it needs to be short segments rather than my usual packing it all in dawn till dark.

Thanks for any ideas!
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 01:18 PM
yk

Hi als0107 - You can easily break up the Freedom Trail into as many segments as you want! The T from Copley to Park Street takes no longer than 10 minutes or so. And if you're tired, you can always hop into a cab, as Boston is pretty small and the distance between the Marriott Copley and Boston Common is quite short.

Around Copley Sq, you can easily spend lots of time shopping (or window shopping) at Copley, the Prudential, and along Newbury Street.

There's also the Boston Public Library which you should definitely go inside for a look at the grand staircase and the Sargeant Murals. There's a nice courtyard inside the Library - very pretty to sit if it's not too cold.

The Trinity Church at Copley is worth going, but I think they charge an admission these days, unless you go during Sunday mass.

You may also want to check out the Mapparium, at the corner of Mass Ave and Huntington Ave, not far from your hotel.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Copley is a little too far to do Freedom Trail and back in 2 hours. But don't rule it out. There are several coffee shops, small parks, etc along Freedom Trail. If you are comfortable feeding her in such places, I would go for it.

Closer to hotel is Newbury Street, a pleasant walk with many high-end shops. Boston Public Garden is also walking distance in your 2-hour window. Trinity Church is right at Copley - a beautiful old church.

If weather is bad, Copley Place is an indoor mall - you could stroll there. Same for shops at Prudential Center. And you could take your dtr up in the elevator to the top for a view.

You could also head towards the Charles River for a walk along the Esplanade - a narrow park that runs along the Charles River.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 11:44 AM

second what Gail says, plus the Copley and Prudential shopping areas are connected by an indoor catwalk over Huntington Ave.

The Pru has a huge food court with lots of tables where you could feed your child and also grab something for yourself. There is also a large Barnes & Noble bookstore with a very good children's section.

Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM

I am glad you mentioned the mapparium at the Christian Science Church. This is a relatively unknown attraction that my chidren have always loved. Of course, as I see she is 4 months old, you'll love it more than she will! Also, stroll up to the Playground at Clarendon and Comm Ave. It's a nice place for you to meet some parents and chat and it's a beautiful walk. Stroll through the public garden at the end of Comm. Ave as well and for a real workout, up through the Commons.

You might like to take a ride on a T line as well. She will likely sleep and you can look around a bit. Have fun.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
And don't forget the make Way for ducklings sculptures in the Public Garden. Every week when I pass there are alot of tourists taking pictures of their young ones sitting on the mother duck and the younger ones on the ducklings.