Search

Boston Shopping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston Shopping

I'm planning to visit Boston in the Spring and I've heard that Boston is one of the best cities to shop, namely quality brands like Burberry, Ralph Lauren, etc? Can anyone give me hints? Is it outlets or regular shops?

Thanks, Portela
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 04:58 AM

Burberry, RL, etc. are available in every major city and most suburban shopping malls. For instance, Burberry is carried by several major department store chains, some of which have stores in Boston, and Burberry also has their own stores in a couple dozen US cities including Boston. Likewise, Boston like most American cities has a suburban outlet-store mall (in Wrentham).
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 07:41 AM

The best shopping in Boston is along Newbury Street and at the Copley Place Mall in the Back Bay.

Charles St in Beacon Hill has a lot of cute shops and many new shops have popped up along Hanover St in the North End.

The premium outlets in Wrentham are great, but they're about an hour from Boston and you'd need a car.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:02 AM

One of the reasons why Boston (and the rest of Massachusetts) is good for shopping is that clothes are generally exempt from state sales tax (exceptions being some luxury items). Granted, sales tax is *completely* nonexistent in New Hampshire.

Lots of people go to the Wrentham outlets when visiting, especially those from Europe.

In Boston itself, shopping is also enjoyable with the many shops along Newbury Street in the Back Bay. Also in the BB are two indoor shopping centers (the Prudential Shops and Copley Place) which are connected by an enclosed catwalk. These are basically typical shopping malls on the inside (but good ones), except they are in the city and don't have the sprawling parking lots and disgusting external appearance (IMO) as do the typical American malls.

Charles street in Beacon Hill also has a few nice antique and other shops. The South End and North End also have some nice boutiques on their larger streets.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:03 AM

**whoops... I see that I've inadvertently duplicated much of Wyatt92's post. Sorry about that!

Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:14 AM

The best clothing store in Boston is LOUIS at Berkely/Newbury Sts. You better have a trust fund to shop here, sweetie darling.

Just walk down Newbury Street and you should find all that you are looking for.

I went to school in Cambridge--Buckingham Browne Nichols.

Thingorjus
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Take a walk down Newbury Street... loads of designer stores, nice places to eat, etc.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Portela: I think it depends on what you are looking for and price ranges -
are you interested in boutique style/ different than standard department store? Then there are lots of great tiny shops - my favorites are in the south end, charles st, north end and scattered in Cambridge and Boston.

If you want great dept stores, you have the Copley/Pru areas mentioned, but also not far out of Boston now the new Natick Collection mall which has Nordstroms and other high end stores ; and along the same Rte 9 as Atrium and Chesnut Hill Mall.

Wrentham Outlet I have not been to in years, but I am not an outlet fan. Just be careful shopping outlets and realizing that many times you are buying different than in their stores - they often make a separate, less expensive line for their outlet stores -
and many consumers who do not know this think they are getting the same grade cashmere twin set, for example, as int he store for more and they are not - same with styles -

which is why it is good if you are oging to outlet shop to know the store, the line, etc or their process before thinking you are getting some enormous savings

Also in Boston is the "basement' and a decent Marshalls on Boylston if you are into Marshalls.

I like shopping Boston b/c since it is what I consider a great walking city and a small city, you can cover a lot of ground shopping in a short period of time
(Charles St, downt o Newbury, back along Boylston, stops at Copley/Pru and then the route of South End walk down tremont to Downtown Crossing, and over to Faneuil Hall and into North End....that type of thing.

there is a book on good boutiques/etc in boston - the name is escaping me.... look on amazon or in the travel section of a book store.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 03:59 AM

Wrentham Outlets: my wife went there with our daughter, who is a regular. My wife found several things she wanted to buy (maybe Liz Claiborne but also others) but not in her size. She subsequently found everything she wanted at lower prices in Boston department/specialty stores. Women I know find good sale bargains at Lord and Taylor on Boylston, if that is your style.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 08:42 AM

In terms of clothing prices, you generally can't beat a good end of season sale at Lord and Taylors (especially when they have the additional coupons) or Macys, but the Wrentham outlet center does have some good buys and a wide variety of stores (IMHO)....
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 08:57 AM

There was a wonderful article in Sundays Boston Globe, about shopping on Newbury St. Go to Boston.com, and see if you can access it!
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 09:47 AM

I am not sure I would consider Boston one of best cities to shop in. You have gotten good suggestions above. Filene's Basement in downtown is no more - so forget that one, though. Natick Mall (that is not name anymore, they just redid it and upscaled it) also has some quality shops - it is about 10 miles outside of Boston.

But if you are from US, I don't think you will find any unique bargains not available elsewhere here.
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 08:52 PM

The Natick Mall that Gail refers to is now the Natick Collection that I mentioned above - and the 'basement' is changed and now on Boylston Street, but not worth it compared to the other shops available -

if you give us an idea of what you are looking for, specific stores or areas might be better for you