Boston Shopping/Bakeries

Search

Boston Shopping/Bakeries

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston Shopping/Bakeries

I have about four hours in Boston to shop. I am staying on Newbury St. I am well past the cute jeans and tank top stage. Where should I go to make the best of my four hours?
After I leave Boston I will be on the Cape for a week. I would like to take a nice hostess gift basket of wine and baked goodies. Any suggestions of a convenient place near Newbury St?
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:30 AM

You're in Shopping Central, on Newbury Street. What sort of shopping are you looking for? You're just a few blocks or two subway stops from every possible alternative, ranging from bargains at the original Filene's Basement to fancy stores like Saks and Neiman-Marcus.

My own favorite quick shopping excursion is to go bargain-hunting at Downtown Crossing -- Filene's basement, upstairs at the regular Filene's because sometimes their sales are better prices than the basement (the Boston Globe always carries ads with a coupon for 15% off on weekends); across Washington Street and up a little way are Marshall's and the DSW Shoe Warehouse.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Anonymous. I am looking for things I can't find in the average mall, unique shops with women's clothing. I understand Dress is a new place on Newbury which is actually affordable. I love Louis and will probably go for a recon there, too. If I do Newbury in time, I will go over to Copley Place. Since I have such limited time to shop, I don't want to go to those stores I can find anywhere (GAP, Marshalls, SAKS, etc).
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:25 AM

Check out Best Wines and Trader Joes on Boyleston St for items for your gift basket.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bennie!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:42 AM

I imagine you'll find the perfect hostess gift at Louis. Their home accessories collection is amazing. Other must-stops along Newbury for shopping might be Calypso (Christiane Celle's boutique, near Dartmouth and Newbury I think), Kiehl's (next door to Calypso), Matsu (clothing, near Exeter), Bliss (home stuff), Fresh (bath stuff, originated here in Boston), and then there's Stel for clothing as well.

For a basket of wine and goodies, Winston Flowers can do that for you, but I'm not sure if it's done at their shop or you have to call ahead. They're both on Newbury and on Boylston (one block over, running parallel to Newbury). Fresh baked goods though, are hard to find on Newbury. You're better off getting a nice bottle of French Champagne and something unique from Bliss or Louis.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:47 AM

Addendum to my previous post: what about a box of Swiss Teuscher chocolates found on Newbury St. or Richart chocolates, the newest chocolatier in Copley? Alternatives to baked goods if none can be found.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:18 AM
machin

If you are there on a Tuesday or Friday, Copley Square has a farmers'market. We bought goat cheese, bread, picked up a bottle of wine and brought it to our hostess.

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Happily I will be there tomorrow about noon and following up on every single one of Kehsutton's suggestions. Boy, you are a great resource. I hate I will miss the Farmers Market. I worked for the Hancock years ago and lived on Newbury...wish they had had it then!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:32 PM

just wanted to add my two cents...

I have always loved the coffee at Torrefazzione. It is a cafe on Newbury between Berkeley and Clarendon streets. They sell very pretty Deruta pottery there as well.

I also second the chocolates from Teuscher.

Another option is to visit Waterworks. It is a high end bath store (I think in the same block on the same side of the street as the above mentioned coffee cafe). Their upstairs has beautiful towels, soaps, etc. I was on Newbury STreet on Sunday and noticed they had a SALE sign in their window (always a good thing in this particular store as it is pricey).

I like to shop at Portico as well. It is a home accessories and furniture store with a New York sort of feel. Very polished, sort of urban feel to it. This is also around the same location on Newbury.

There is a store called Lavender Home and Table which is in this months Boston magazine as winner for Home Accessory store. It is an eclectic mix of new and antique items imported from France. This store is between Dartmouth and Exeter (I think). Also on this same block is the Society of Arts and Crafts store which features high-end hand made artisan stuff. It is a very nice store and not as kitschy as some of these types of stores can be.

On Boylston Street is the wine store where every bottle is under ten dollars. Can't remember the name of the store, maybe it is Best Cellars? - they search the world for the best cheap wine.

Best of luck - have fun shopping.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

I am with you, love that "Sale" sign! Thanks for the suggestions.