Help planning Yellowstone/Teton trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are starting to plan our Yellowstone/Teton trip for this coming summer. Our set dates are July 11-19. We have developed an itinerary so far, but any suggestions as far as alternate hikes, activities, companies offering activities, or anything else would be greatly appreciated. Our itinerary is as follows.

Day 1
Leave in AM for flight
Flight coming in around 12:30 into Jackson Hole
Check in at Jackson Lake Lodge
Settle in
Dinner

Day 2
Breakfast
Fishing (through Jackson Lake Lodge)
Lunch
Fishing or shopping
Dinner

Day 3
Breakfast
Check out of Jackson Lake Lodge
Head into Yellowstone
Short hike (Beaver Ponds Trail or Lone Star
Geyser)
Lunch
Paints Pots
Check in at Canyon Lake Cabins
Dinner

Day 4
Breakfast
Hiking in Yellowstone (Bechler Meadows or Mt. Washburn)
Lunch
Hiking
Drive back
Dinner

Day 5
Breakfast
Hiking in Tetons (Lake Solitude, Hermitage Point, or Leigh Lake-Bearpaw Lake)
Lunch
Hiking
Check out
Leave for Alpenhof Lodge
Dinner

Day 6
Breakfast
Explore Teton Village
Lunch
Shopping, stay in town
Dinner

Day 7
Breakfast
Whitewater Rafting on the Snake River
Lunch
Dinner in Teton Village

Day 8
Breakfast
Hiking in Grand Tetons
Lunch
Hiking
Drive back to Alpenhof

Day 9
Breakfast
Check out of the Alpenhof
Stay in town for a short time
Flight out

THANKS!
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Sounds like a nice trip for hiking and boating and such, but are you not interested in some of the "usual" sights and such? Or have you already been throughout Yellowstone?

We flew out to Montana and drove around on a planned trip for 2 weeks, and that included 3 days in and around Yellowstone. We also loved the majesty of the Tetons, of course, and spent a night in Jackson, too, for "color.

We're older, so not much into hiking, really. For us, this was our first trip, and we loved it all. The animals everywhere in Yellowstone were amazing, of course.

Old Mar 10th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

This is our first time as well. Would you recommend going anywhere we have not listed? Thanks.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 08:17 AM
AlJ

I guess I think you're short changing Yellowstone. We spent 3 full days there and am going back for more. With the amount of hiking your doing, you won't see much that day. Big park and takes a while to get around.

Our website has pictures of the park and some of the Tetons. There's one album devoted to the Beaver Pond Loop. Its nice until the last mile which is a flat return without too much to see.

www.AlandSueJOhnson.com
Click on the bison picture.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 08:53 AM
maj

I agree with the above poster. You don't have any of the usual attractions (like Old Faithful) on your list. Also, it appears you only have one full day in Yellowstone. I'd allow more time there than in Tetons for a first visit. The best part of Yellowstone to me are the animals. You will see animal sightings as you travel through the park with cars pulled off the road. Each area of Yellowstone is unique in itself,very different and worth while seeing. There are attractions along the way where you will want to stop also (like West Thumb, Mudpots, etc.). While they aren't exactly hikes, it will take a while to walk around those areas. There are about 3 hikes to the Falls around the Grand Canyon and three large areas of thermal activity on the Old Faithful side to explore for example.

If you haven't yet, search through the trip reports on this forum for many ideas. I've just started going through them again in anticipation of another trip out there and can't believe how much good information is available. We've been twice and haven't touched the northeast entrance or done any hikes in the Tetons yet. Depends on what you want to do, but it doesn't sound like you are going to see much of Yellowstone.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 10:29 AM

I agree with AIJ and maj. I would add at least two more days for Yellowstone on your itinerary.

Lonestar Geyser is an easy hike, but I don't consider it to be a "short" hike. I think the main attraction is waiting for the eruption which occurs about every 3 hours. There are a couple of minor eruptions during that time period before the main event. Bring your lunch, maybe a book and bug spray. The mosquitos were terrible when we did the hike in early July.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 01:00 PM

I agree with the others. Spending one day in YNP then driving back to Jackson area is likely a mistake. There are great hikes in YNP too. Plus, do you want to see some of the wildlife and geothermal features?
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Here are some of my threads from this past fall that may be helpful. This forum helped me tremendously when planning our trip. Be sure you search out and read past threads that offer tons of great information.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34836620

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34821819

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34835216
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 01:43 PM

I urge you to get a copy of Frommer's Yellowstone & Grant Teton National Parks. It's a great resource and well worth the $11.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Alright I'll consider everything said. Anything specific you guys would recommend (i.e. places, sightseeing, hikes)?
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Frommer's guide to Yellowstone and the Tetons is on its way and I just added swimming in Firehole River and the viewing of Old Faithful. Anything I missed? Thanks for your time.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:32 PM
maj

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34608027

Hopefully you can get the above thread (not sure if I did it right). It is an old one you may have missed. The title is Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks with preteens and teens --recommended hikes, activities, hotels and restaurants.

Also, not sure what you will do for a half day in Teton Village. Jackson is a great little town with quite a few shops, but it is a small town.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 05:42 AM

I can't imagine spending only 2 days in YNP - we spent 7 days and still felt like we needed more time. You could spend half a day just walking the extensive boardwalks through the incredible geysers and other thermal features at Old Faithful. Norris Geyser Basin was absolutely amazing as was Black Sand & Biscuit Basins. The Lamar and Hayden Valleys are so serene and filled with wildlife - herds of bison and pronghorn antelope. The upper Mammoth Terraces were spectacular too - we took some gorgeous photos there. And our very first full day in YNP, we were checking out Lake Yellowstone and saw our first of three grizzly bear sitings! The Lake blew us away! When have you ever seen steam vents, geysers and other thermal features spurting out from beneath a lake or along its shore? Amazing place! The colors, sights, smells and sounds of this incredible park just delight your senses. And then there's the wildlife! We saw wolves, bears, bighorn sheep, coyotes, eagles and lots more. We couldn't believe how visible the wildlife was. Yellowstone is a special place. The Tetons are gorgeous and certainly deserve some time but don't shortchange Yellowstone - I think you'll be disappointed if you do. Here is a link to our photos - I hope they inspire you.
http://www.pbase.com/peterb/yellowstone_06
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:03 AM

A few musts in the Teton:

*Drive down Antelope Flats Road for two reasons: 1. To see, closeup, a herd of bison; 2. To view the Moulton Barn which affords a great photo op, with the mountains in the background.

*Have an outdoor lunch or dinner at Dornan's.

*Take the boat across Jenny Lake (or hike around the lake) to climb to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point.

*Stop at the Oxbow Bend overlook for an absolutely spectacular view of the Teton.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Here's my updated itinerary. I'm still unsure of what to do on day 2, so please don't be hesitant to tell me any ideas for activities even for all days. Thanks again!

Day 1
Leave in AM for flight
Flight coming in around 12:30 into Jackson Hole
Check in at Jackson Lake Lodge 4:00pm
Settle in
Dinner

Day 2
Breakfast
Touring
Options:
Bus tour (Xanterra or GTLC)
Ranger tour
Dinner

Day 3
Check out of Jackson Lake Lodge
Breakfast
Drive to Yellowstone
Short hike (Beaver Ponds Trail, Bechler Meadows, Mt. Washburn or Lone Star Geyser)
Lunch
Swimming in the Boiling River (Mammoth Country) or Firehole River (Geyser Country)
Black Sand and Biscuit Basins
Old Faithful
Paint Pots
Dinner
Check in at Canyon Lodge & Cabins

Day 4
Breakfast
Hiking in Yellowstone (Beaver Ponds Trail, Bechler Meadows, Lone Star Geyser or Mt. Washburn)
Lunch
Yellowstone Lake viewing/activites
Drive back
Dinner

Day 5
Check out of Canyon Lodge & Cabins
Breakfast
Hiking in Tetons (Lake Solitude, Hermitage Point, or Leigh Lake-Bearpaw Lake)
Lunch
Hiking
Leave for Alpenhof Lodge
Dinner

Day 6
Breakfast
Fishing (through Snake River Kayak) or horseback riding
Lunch
Fishing or horseback riding
Dinner

Day 7
Breakfast
Whitewater Rafting on the Snake River (combo trip through JHWW)
Lunch
Dinner in Teton Village

Day 8
Breakfast
Hiking in Grand Tetons (Lake Solitude, Hermitage Point, or Leigh Lake-Bearpaw Lake)
Lunch
Hiking
Drive down Antelope Flats Road (for wildlife)
Drive back to Alpenhof

Day 9
Breakfast
Check out of the Alpenhof
Stay in town for a short time
Flight out

THANKS