Jackson/Yellowstone/Grand Teton Areas

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 06:38 PM
em
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jackson/Yellowstone/Grand Teton Areas

Off to Jackson with 11 yr. old granddaughter soon. We have three days for the Jackson/Yellowstone/Grand Teton Areas. We will leave the Idaho Falls area at noon on Thursday and will need to be back Sunday evening. Any suggestions for must see and do stuff and nice places to stay greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 07:59 PM

It sounds like you're leaving soon? If you haven't already made reservations, you may just have to stay wherever you can find a vacancy. The town of West Yellowstone, just outside the western park boundary, is your best chance. You can also call to see if there are cancellations at one of the in-park locations.

Three days isn't much time for Yellowstone, let alone YNP plus the Tetons and Jackson. Unless you plan to just drive past the Tetons and snap a couple of photos, I'd say pick one or the other.

My choice for a first visit would be Yellowstone. There is much more diversity in both scenery and wildlife to be seen in a short time. You won't get to see it all, but you could hit the major sights (Old Faithful, Canyon, Lake, and one or two of the major geyser basins) in three days. You would certainly see bison and elk, and there's a good chance of also seeing coyote and mule deer. You might see a bear, wolf or moose, but these are not as common and in three days it's just a matter of luck.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Syv

I agree w/ previous poster that all lodging will be fully booked. Most reservations were made last December. But other than a drive-through Grand Teton (on the main road, closest to the mountains) - spend the time in Yellowstone. Your 11-yr-old granddaughter will think Yellowstone is "pretty cool".

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 08:46 AM

There is one number that you can call to make reservations for inside Yellowstone. That number is 307-344-7311.
If there aren't any available, I would recommend staying just about anywhere outside the park.
You can probably plan on about 2 days in Yellowstone alone. One loop is 140 miles and the speed is about 35 mph.
But have lots of fun!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 08:51 AM
em
Original Poster

Thanks for your recommendations re our trip. We were fortunate to get into the Old Faithful Inn/East Side for two nights. We are thinking of taking the Circle of Fire tour..8:30-5 hoping the "educational benefits" will be worth it long term...any opinion on this idea appreciated. We will do the photo ops as we drive by the Tetons and stay one night in Jackson. Is the Cowboy Village too juvenile for an 11 year old? Thanks so very much for your help.