Grand Tetons/Yellowstone

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Tetons/Yellowstone

We are planning a family vacation to the Grand Tetons & Yellowstone for June 2005. There will be 11 people in our group. We are thinking of renting a home in Teton Village north of Jackson. Will this location make it too difficult to visit Yellowstone on a couple of day trips? We have looked for a home closer to the south entrance but are not having any luck so far. Renting a vacation home is an annual thing for my family and my brother's family. We want to all be together since we only see each other once a year.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 10:34 AM

If it were me, I would rent a home at W. Yellowstone and go down to visit the Grand Tetons.

Yellowstone has so much to offer in diversity and natural wonders that you don't see anywhere else.

Utahtea
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 05:12 PM

I agree.

It will take you an hour just to get to the south entrance of the park and another 30-45 to get to areas of interest.

W. Yellowstone is literally right at the the west entrance.

It would be much easier to drive down for a day trip to the Tetons and spend more days in Yellowstone.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 06:20 PM

Hello Marcena! Ahhh, Jackson...love that place.

A couple years ago, my family and grandparents stayed at the Timber Ridge condo complex in Jackson Hole. It was a huge (over 2000 sq. ft) 4-bedroom with loft unit, and it had a GIGANTIC balcony overlooking the valley. You've probably come across this place in your searches. I highly recommend it. As a matter of fact, we'll be there again in late September, this time only with 4 of us. But we love it so much that it's worth the price.

I'm not sure all 11 of you would fit, but maybe if some slept in the living room, you could do it.

We enjoyed the solitude of that area and did not mind at all the drive into Jackson proper or over to Yellowstone. It was a great opportunity to view the wildlife and scenery on the way to and from. Of course, we did not do it everyday. So much to see in the immediate vicinity.

Happy travels!
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 07:47 AM

Having lived in Montana and Wyoming for over 15 years, I think I can help you out with some other suggestions, other than what has been posted. First of all, there is nothing south of Yellowstone except more Park (Teton), so Teton Village is about as close as you can get south of the park - another place to consider is Cody (cheaper than West Yellowstone usually) or north of the park in Montana (Bridger area). You would have to make your day trips to Teton then. Personally, I prefer Teton to Yellowstone - more immediately accessible "majestic" scenery, but both are fabulous - be ready for rain or snow if you go in early June.