Help me help an overwhelmed friend figure out Christmas presents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. I have a wonderful friend who I spoke to tonight. He's getting overwhelmed with the intimidating prospect of having to buy Christmas gifts for a lot of people in his family and extended family, meaning his parents (80's), sisters (age range in the 50's), their husband(s), their kids (teeny boppers), his sons (19-20) and probably others in between.
He wants to spend, say $30.00, says they're token gifts. His bro-in-law's a hunter.. the others don't really have any special hobbies that I know of. I'm trying to help him out. It's rather late to order online. Suggestions for all around, creative gifts he can buy? Thanks!
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 09:59 PM

Here's one idea he can get for everyone. he will need to do it at Office Depot or Fedex Kinko's or other local print shop.
Find 12 great photos in his stuff of his family and have calendars made for each family member. Normally these are about $10 maybe $15 but he may be paying a rush charge. Donate the rest to charity in their names.

If you want to make an exception, go to the grocery store and buy the teeny boppers and 19 year olds gift cards of either iTunes or a popular teen/young adult store.

For his parents, I'd also add a certificate to take them to a movie or other outing in January or February when they're less apt to want to drive themselves places etc.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response, you're very nice to offer your suggestions. I asked if he had photos, but I don't think he has that many, unfortunately. I like your idea about the movies, and iTunes is a good thought as well. I suggested he go to a Natural Food or Drug store because they always have things you wouldn't ordinarily find. (Great hand soaps, face moisturizers and lots of things that you wouldn't expect to see but would be nice to give as gifts.) It's hard because he has to buy for so many people and they're all different age ranges. Thanks. Please keep the thoughts coming. He wants to finish this job over the weekend! I appreciate your help very much.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 11:10 PM

What did he do last year? Not to be judgmental but isn't he a little late getting started on the thought process? Everybody likes gift cards. They're not really personal but it's a little late to find something special for each one.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 11:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd re-post this in the Lounge (or click the triangle and ask the moderators to move this tread over there for you)
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 12:37 AM

Is he perhaps overwhelmed by either the financial impact or the fact that he is shopping for so many people and thinks it is time to stop? Likely too late to address that for this year, but good time to think of strategies for next year.

Think categories - too late for ultra-personal. Tweens/teens/young adults - iTunes gift card, Dunkin donuts gift card (because I see you are in New England/NY area).

Elderly people - they do not want stuff - I can guarantee that - unless it is consumable. Coffee, box of fruit shipped from Florida - that sort of thing.

Little kids - some sort of creative toy from non-chain toy store that has this sort of thing - we have one nearby that organizes stuff by age - thinking a make-a-something kit.

Adults not fitting into any of the above categories - probably the hardest - but I would also think in terms of consumables and gift cards. Really good chocolate, bottle of nice wine.

Another strategy - think family units. So for family with several kids and parents a group game for Wii, XBox - if they have one - or even a couple of interesting board games. I saw electronic Monopoly, for example, that might appeal to parents and techno-kids.

And it is not too late to do on-line shopping. My next on-line stop after Fodors is Amazon.com to pick up some last gifts - something he might also consider. Make a pot of coffee, browse away. Stick to items sold my Amazon themselves and not their "marketplace" as they have more control over shipping - and I think they may still be offering free shipping today.
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 02:45 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Go to the nearest grocery store.
Stand in front of the big display of gift cards.
Pick a gift card for $25 from one of about a hundred retailers.
If you want something "more" to have to wrap, go to the seasonal candy aisle. Pick out something that matches the person. When you get home, tape the gift card to the present.
The family member will have something to unwrap, but will have something they can really use.
Be sure to include the activation receipt too just in case there's a problem.

Ideas -
For the hunter - Cabela's, REI, Bass Pro Shops
For the parents and those who have all the STUFF they need - restaurant gift certificates including Red Lobster, PF Chang's, multiple card for 4 in a group including Chili's and Maggiano's, Longhorn, more restaurants than you can count
For the teens and and young adults - movie theaters (AMC, Regal), stores (Target, H&M, Macy's, Best Buy, etc)
For those with Kindles - Amazon kindle
For just about everyone - Amazon card or *
*Macy's, TJ MAxx, Marshalls, eBay, iTunes, Bed, Bath and Beyond, and so on and so on and so on...

Try to pick a card to match their interest, or
Give everyone the same card.

Gotta go. Gotta wrap said cards and candy boxes.
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 06:02 AM

ITunes cards for the teens and young adults, gift cards for the others for restaurants or star bucks. For years I've said, "If I can't eat it, drink it or smoke it, I don't want it.". Then I quit smoking, so I go with the first two. Most adults have the things they want and don't need more "things" but we all eat and drink!
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 09:21 AM

teadrinker:

We just received a gift box of cheese/sausage/cheese spread from http://www.figis.com - Both the cheese and the sausage is delicious. Haven't tried the spread as yet. Site is offering a free upgrade on shipping. Here is a code for 10% off 194/0310 that came on a slip in the box. Our local grocery store also offers gift type boxes this time of year.

I'd just give one gift to each of his sisters and their husbands. The same with his parents. I agree with those who said adults do not need more stuff but food, fruit, candy, nuts always welcome.

You are a good friend.

Sandy
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 07:51 AM

Is here in the North East - head to a Stop and Shop grocery store, they have an amazing selection of gift cards.... everything from itunes to Airlines..... He can buy a box of cards and shop the gift card rack - one stop and he is done!
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 10:41 AM

The best mail order food, imho, is Wine Country Gift Baskets. The ratio of quality/quantity vs price is much than most other mail order companies -- I think they are able to do it because most of the food is non perishable. (Many of the baskets do not contain wine, and would be good as a family gift.) He can still get delivery by xmas if he hurries.
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. My friend did just fine and it's because of this thread. The gift cards were a great suggestion. He bought movie tickets, and candy to go along with them. He felt that the best present was the kind where, instead of material things, you give of yourself, so, for instance, when he gave his mom the movie gift cards, he said he'd go with her.
I helped him out by giving him some things I'd bought for him for Christmas. He's the kind of guy that was more than happy to pass them on to his family rather than keep them for himself...a Kyocera Chef's knife was one thing. All in all, we made it though Christmas, and now we have at least 6 months of bliss before the advertising starts again! Thank you for your help. I'll probably have to return to this thread next Christmas, to remember everything everyone said.. and next year well start earlier! lol Happy New Year