Search

Christmas night picnic help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas night picnic help

Morning all,

We will be on a day tour which include a luncheon on Christmas Day in London. Family is concerned that they might be hungry again come night. Rather than go out for another expensive meal, we've decided to pick up a few things for sandwiches to eat in room.(hotel sevices will be closed)

One of the threads had a post regarding grocery stores in London. I can't seems to find one close to hotel.(I may not be searching properly) We are staying in Bayswater, right on Bayswater Rd actually.Does anyone happen to know of a small market where we could pick up fruit, sandwich meat, breat etc, that is close? Once that dilema is solved, must find a way to keep it cold for about 24 hrs.

The scope of this question may be too narrow to get an answer, but thought I'd try.

Oh, if someone has a better suggestion, rather than a 'picnic', we're open to them!

Thanks,

Viv
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 07:26 AM

Hi VMS-
I do not know firsthand of any grocery stores in the Bayswater area, but maybe this lead will help you out. I having been looking into grocery stores by our hotel for our trip in January. I went to www.sainsbury.co.uk. Select store locator, and input the postal code of your hotel, and it will give you a listing of the closes stores to that code. I hope this helps!
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 08:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Viv, Have you asked the hotel where the nearest grocery or market is located? Otherwise Erin's suggestion is a good one. Try Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsbury, Safeway, Somerfield websites.

Also, I'd skip the perishables and stock up on snack foods, drinks and fruits that don't need refrigeration.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 08:48 AM

I can't give you a specific name, but have stayed in that area -- there seem to be enough shops of various kinds that I recall if you walk up Craven Terrace and take a right onto Praed. I agree that your hotel should help you.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the help. Yes, I'll ask the hotel when we arrive, or maybe email them in advance. I do have a habit of trying to get a lot of little details worked out in advance...there's a name for that, but not polite to write on a public forum.

A question: What part of a London address is the postal code?

I like the idea of skipping the perishables, hope the family will go along with it. This will be the first holiday away from home....it seemed like a good idea.LOL. Guess it's hard to skip tradition for some, but know that the trip will be a great memory. Trips they remember, but presents are quickly forgotten by the next year!

Thanks again,

Viv
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:19 AM
ira

Hi Viv,

The postal code is the part with the letters and numbers as in WC2R 0EW.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 11:41 AM

Will you be visiting Harrods? It would be fun to get your picnic items there.

Keith
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:50 PM
ron

Assuming that you are staying near the Queensway, I think you will Harts the Grocer, a chain of small grocers that tends to locate its shops near major tube stations, near the Bayswater station. These are 24/7 establishments.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Ira, thanks for the answer to the address question. Keith, good idea about shopping at Harrods. We arrive Christmas Eve. Ron, thanks for the name of the grocer nearby. All of you have been a big help!

Have been busy sewing surprises to take with me to give on Christmas. I can hardly wait, I feel like a kid again!

Keith, saw your post on the Scotish present post...am hoping over there to post about a suffed Nessie.

Viv
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Make that hopping or popping. Either works.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 02:54 AM

If you're arriving on Christmas Eve, get that food shopping done first. Even 24/7 shops might start to run out and/or begin staff festivities in the course of the afternoon.........