Search

Cheap Souvenirs

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Jen

Cheap Souvenirs

What places in Europe have really neat souvenirs that are fairly inexpensive and really unique?

Old May 18th, 2002, 05:42 PM
xxx

most places do

Old May 18th, 2002, 06:17 PM
sandra

I have always found the best souvenirs in grocery stoers and markets. My friends enjoy gourmet goodies and what is run of the mill in Europe is a treat here. Anything in a tin or spices, mustards and mayonaise in tubes,tea towels, teas.Pub coasters work well in any family room , darts , etc.

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:22 PM
elvira

Like any shopping, you have to have an eye, imagination, and a good idea what interests your friends and family (if that's for whom you're buying).<BR> <BR>Museum stores have great selections - postcards and prints of the collection, journals, pencils, magnets, notecards, posters, etc.<BR><BR>Wal-Mart type chains (Monoprix in France comes to mind) for gift wrap, notecards, school supplies, housewares like milk pitchers or cheese graters.<BR><BR>Hardware stores for house numbers, cutlery, drawer pulls, utilitarian housewares.<BR><BR>Department stores and stationery stores for paper, stickers, rubber stamps, pencil sharpeners, pens, portfolios.<BR><BR>Postage stamps!<BR><BR>Flea markets for odd saucers, doilies, weird ashtrays (look for the tables "1 euro a piece" or "1 pound each" - be prepared to to paw through some real rubbish for a couple of gems), posters, old magazines and books (wouldn't your friend who's into retro love a 1950's decorating magazine?).<BR><BR>If you want the usual souvenirs (hey, I buy 'em), then keychains, magnets, pens, calendars, snowglobes, postcards at an tourist shop will be relatively inexpensive.<BR><BR>Don't get caught up in the "I have to buy for everybody in my family" cycle. For the special few (like Mom), make a SHORT list of things they like and buy for just them. For yourself, do a similar list - do you collect egg cups? Blue glassware? Buttons (my downfall)? Do you like to sew? knit? needlepoint? You can find great souvenirs if you just plan ahead, and are willing to take some time.<BR><BR>The best souvenirs of all? Photographs. Enlarge the photo of a street sign that's the same as your family's for Dad; the cat in the window that looks just like Tommy, your sister's favorite cat; the photo of you in front of Queen Victoria's statue, just like the one of your Mom on her honeymoon.... <BR>

Old May 18th, 2002, 11:41 PM
MG

Elvira, what clever suggestions! I wasn't the original poster, but thanks very much!

Old May 18th, 2002, 11:58 PM
souv

What a way to get souvenirs, just make a picture in you mind!!

Old May 19th, 2002, 01:58 AM
stewanrd

Do not go to rokin-Amstedam, they will have all standard souvenirs but nothing specil. The musea have nice souvenirs on their paintings, Posters ets