Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you like to bring back home from Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going on my first trip to London and Paris and am so excited! I'd like to do some shopping while I'm there along with all the sightseeing and was wondering what items/gifts people like to bring back from Europe? Something you can only get in Europe and will make a nice gift to friends and family? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:55 PM

I buy things for people that I know they would like, whether or not it was from Europe. The gifts that will mean the most are ones that speak to their particular interests.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:02 PM

There's been lots of previous discussion on this.

Souvenir tea towels and local quirky food items are popular choices. One of the best things I ever brought back was the basil-scented dish washing soap from Monoprix in Paris. Not the easiest thing to transport, but it was cheap, different and went over well.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:54 PM

When my neighbor would watch my house during my trips, I would bring her a gift, which would range from a 1 euro cigarette lighter to a quite expensive music box. But otherwise I seldom bring back anything, having been born without the shopping gene.

Occasionally I window shop and then regret not buying something--the "cave canem" tile at Pompeii, the enameled Mucha thingamajig in Prague--but mostly I don't shop.

The one thing I have trouble with is books. When I pay full price for a book, I hate to just toss it. I often end up sending the books home to myself, paying postage almost as expensive as the books themselves. It's a bit dumb to do that.
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:24 PM

I truly love shopping at European grocery stores. I enjoy purchasing all sorts of cookies, biscuits, candies, chocolates, mustards, jams etc.
Everyone loves getting tasty treats. if you get a chance, visit a grocery store. I treat it as one of my sightseeings spots in every city I visit.
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:28 PM

I bring back what I cannot get at home especially the perishables that can only be brought back in person. The Laduree Macaroons are always on the list.