Fav. Roman Hotels under 150 euro

Apr 11th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Sarah

Fav. Roman Hotels under 150 euro

On April 28 we will arrive in Rome for the first time. I am beginning to think it is a problem that we do not have a hotel reserved. What are your favorite hotels in rome for 150 euros and under. We are looking for something untouched by time- i.e. no plastic chairs. I think we are pretty limited in our choices. Thanks in advnce.

Apr 11th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Book Chick

Try Casa Howard, The Hotel San Gregoriana or the Hotel Parlamento.

Buon Viaggio,
BC

Apr 11th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Katherine

Hotel Lancelot, behind the Coliseum, easily walking distance to the taxi stand, or to the subway, or the Tram. Very clean, very pleasant staff, and lots of English and Scandinavian guests. some Americans. We were in Room 61 (or was it 62?) It had a terrace, but only our room led directly onto the roof terrace....other rooms on the top floor had to use hte hallway door to the terrace.

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:07 AM
elaine

The Lancelot was also recommended this month in the magazine National Geographic Traveler. They suggested avoiding ground-floor rooms near the bar. The article didn't mention air conditioning one way or the other.

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:10 AM
elaine

I meant to add that the same article also praised the Parlamento.
My Cheap Sleeps in Italy book, which is a few years old, said that to reach that hotel you have to walk up 77 steps from the street but that it's worth it.
No credit cards or a/c?? Still true?

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Betsy

The Due Torri may be just what you're looking for. It books out early, though. www.hotelduetorriroma.com

Apr 11th, 2002, 01:06 PM
geri

Residenza Zenardelli, only six rooms, also mentioned in NGT. Stayed there a month ago and felt it perfect. Within walking distance of Vatican, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi, Colosseum, Forum. Taxi stand just around the corner and maybe a block from Piazza Navona. 110 Euro a night, nice breakfast. Would highly recommend. A bit difficult to find, on Zanardelli, no outward hotel sign, only the number 7 and its spectacular doors tell you this is the place you want to be!

Apr 11th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Sue

The Venezia, not too far from Termini, is beautifully furnished with antiques; the staff is very friendly and helpful. We arrived warm and tired after train ride from Siena, and the concierge insisted that we sit down in lounge and have an iced tea while they carried our bags to room. It was a "welcome" welcome!

Apr 11th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Book Chick

Mmmm..the Hotel Parlamento got a "face-lift" last year, I think they have A/C, but unsure about the elevator, although I thought so...sorry, last trip to Rome involved visiting 2 different lodging establishments other than the one I stayed in. The Parlamento can be a stickler about deposits, though, I think they want one but won't reserve with just your credit card.

Apr 11th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Eva

Unlike Geri, we had a less than average experience at Rezidenza Zanardelli. The room itself was okay, but was on a very busy, noisy main road. The service was okay in general, but proved unsatisfactory on two occasions, which I won't go into in detail as it would be too lengthy. The breakfast was very meagre: bad coffee, which I thought was impossible in Italy, and pre-wrapped tiny croissants. We had breakfast there on the first morning then ate out the rest of the time. The breakfast room consisted of one table for everyone to squash around. We were there a year ago, and we paid more than Geri did, around 132 Euros for the room per night. We wouldn't return to the Zanardelli, though we'd return to Rome in a minute.

The Zanardelli IS in a good location, however. It's central for many places of interest.

The year before, we stayed in the Piccolo just off Campo de'Fiori. It offered no breakfast, and the rooms were simple, but it was clean, much cheaper, and much quieter. I'd stay there again, or try any hotel in that area.

Good luck with your hotel hunt, Sarah. It's late but it ain't never...!

Apr 12th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Kay

Sarah,
Try the Hotel Smeraldo, near the Campo de Fiori. Great location and in your price bracket. Rooms OK, a bit small and a bit worn but so what, you're in Rome! Don't pay for breakfast, you can easily go across the narrow street to the bar and get coffee there at half the price. Staff not particularly friendly or helpful. Loved the area though. Round the corner was Hotel Pomezia, looked fine from the outside.
www.hotelsmeraldoroma.com
Kay

Apr 12th, 2002, 04:15 AM
elaine

I checked the Nat'al Geog. article more carefully, and also recommendations found on igougo.com and frommers.com
The Parlamento does have an elevator, does take credit cards, and some rooms have a/c which costs extra. Frommers says it is a "4-star hotel with 2-star prices."

May 19th, 2002, 02:17 AM

topping for caz