Hello Siesta Key locals -- Info and updates please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! I need the help of you local folks. In only one week my family will be arriving for our first trip to the west coast of Florida (Siesta Key). First I'm looking for updates on the red-tide from people who actually live there and see how the ocean and beaches are currently, and then I'd also like recomendations on restaurants and things to do in the area. We are a family of six with kids ages 9 to 20 years old. Thank You.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 05:57 PM

I don't know about the red tide, but my family really liked the Lobster Pot restaurant when we were there last April. Very good seafood, not inexpensive but worth it, in a casual setting.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 06:09 AM

There's a Lobster Pot in Siesta Key? There is one in Redington Beach.

Didijo, I think the tide is gone. Have you checked out the Mote Marine web site? That's the official site.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Tandoori Girl, The Mote aquarium site says medium to high in sarasota beaches and sarasota bay, but diminished amounts in southern sarasota county. So it is hard to follow being that from that I still don't really know whaT THe situation is on the crescent beach at Siesta Key. I'm hoping that someone like you might have a firsthand idea by checking it out in person. Thanks again!
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Since we leave on Wednesday, I was still hopeful that someone would respond who lives locally. How is the red tide?
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:03 AM

didijo, I'm in Tampa and the tide is so isolated that whatever I find over here won't be of any help to you. I prefer the link below because of the map that it provides and because the Fl. Marine Fisheries take the samples statewide. I see from their data that they sample Mon-Fri. If they don't post ASAP (maybe they wait until the end of the week) then I'd call them and ask for an update. The scientists are usually very helpful. I've not heard anything in the newspapers (did you check the Sarasota paper yesterday?) so I'm thinking things are dying down. It is very rare for the tide to linger this long.

Good luck. I hope your trip is a good one. I'll be wishing for the best for you and the family.

http://research.myfwc.com/features/v...e.asp?id=12373
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Tandoori Girl, Thanks for the kind thoughts! We actually plan to come up to Tampa area a few days so if you have any advice for us there we would appreciate it too.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 10:01 AM

welllllllllllllllll....what kind of advice? Places to stay? Things to do? I have all sorts of advice but figure you might want something specific so let me know what it is you'd like to know. In fact, I suggest you run a whole new Tampa post so others can pitch in. You'll get lots more help that way.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Great things to do in Tampa. Go to Lowry Park Zoo off I-275. It is becoming one of the best zoos in Florida. Go to the University of Tampa, and walk around Plant Hall..and go inside to the museum. Take a Duck tour of the port.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 12:31 PM

Cafe Baci.. YUMMY Best Italian food