Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Upscale Family Accomodations/Siesta Key, Lido Key, Anna Marie Island

Old May 11th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a July visit and are interested in upscale condo recommendations on beach for family with 15 year old girl and 9 year old boy. Prefer low-rise condos with pool.
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:24 PM

I'm not sure what your definition of upscale is. This area is not what I'd call "exclusive" but it's very nice. I think that Siesta Key is more upscale than the other two. We have stayed at Sarasota Surf and Racquet Club (Sarasotasurf.com). It consists of several buildings including one tower and 2 other 5 story oceanfront buildings. There are 2 pools, one is oceanfront. In July, you probably have a good choice on condos, so I would request a recently redecorated unit and I think you'll be fine. Some are nicer than others. The beach there is very wide, with fine white cool sand and beautiful blue green water. There are also 4 tennis courts and a small gym.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kathy K, for your reply. I'll check it out. Are there any narrow beaches in this area with nice condos? We have vacationed in the Panhandle for 30 years and love the narrower beaches.
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:40 AM

The beach at Siesta Key is narrower at the south end and there are plenty of condos there, I just don't know anything about them. I think if you do a search here, there are previous posts that give a website for condo rentals on Siesta Key.
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:44 PM

I own a small condo on Siesta Key (not really what you are looking for so I am not trying to sell you on it) but it is managaged by a company that only deals in vacation type rental units, mostly on Siesta Key. The company is Siesta 4 rent. "www.siesta4rent.com".
You might check their web site and see what they have.
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:48 PM

An exclusive area that you may want to consider is Longboat Key. It's the island that between Lido Key, and Anna Marie Island. On Longboat Key, many exclusive and gated condominiums are visible on the gulf side with tennis courts, well-manicured lawns, etc. It has more the feel of a private country club. (Outside day-trip visitors are discouraged from using these beaches.)

Siesta Key is quite nice because of the fine-grained powdery sand. And it's a public beach. It seems to be a place with a mix of upscale and mid-scale family accomodations. There's more of a beach volleyball atmosphere with young people mixed in with families.
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:40 PM
LN

On Longboat Key I'd recommend Verandah Beach - a gorgeous upscale condo that can be rented by the week and it's directly on the gulf. Great beach, good food - what more can you ask for.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

As usual your posts have helped me so much in my research. We will check out Longboat Key as well. Merci!
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Down South---you need to check out the Longboat Key Club, or the Colony Beach and Tennis Club, both on Longboat Key.Both directly on the beach, you will love either place and you will be minutes from fine restaurants, St. Armands Circle, Mote Marine many things.
And both are great for kids.