Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hawaii - Waikiki - Hilton Village or Halekulani

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

currently I have the Hilton Village 0 Ahli Tower concierge booked for our 4 nights in Waikiki.
I am thinking of changing our reservation to the Halekulani, although considerably more $$, I amthinking it might be worth it because of atmosphere, and service at the halekulani.

other resorts we are staying at are the Princeville in Kauai, Grand Wailea in Maui, and the Hana Maui Ranch.

we like really great resorts, and I wonder if the Hilton will be okay?

any thoughts, have you stayed at both or either????
is the halekulani fantastic???
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 02:13 PM

I have stayed in Ali'i Tower twice at HHV and really enjoyed it. The Hilton is a resort, while the Halekulani is a hotel (more or less). HHV is a very big property with pools, shops, several hotel towers, and lots of restaurants. You don't ever have to leave the property, if you don't want to. I've never stayed at Halekulani so cannot compare, but I'd return to HHV in a heartbeat!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 02:37 PM

Incredible service at the HHV in the Ali Tower- private pool, bar, breakfast, etc. Loved it!

It is a huge resort!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:04 PM

The Halekulani is a lovely, peacuful, gorgeous hotel with unbelievable food and a wonderful lounge on the beach (House Without a Key) which si the most glorious sunset setting Ive experienced. It is on a nice stretch of beach.

The HHV is massive, beautiful, on a slightly better stretch of beach, but somewhat impersonal compared to Halekulani. Both are great places to stay.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:25 PM

I've stayed at both, and much prefer Halekulani. But then, I'm not a fan of big resorts--I prefer peaceful inns with great service. Whichever type makes you happiest is best for you.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:35 PM

Have stayed at the Hilton 3 times. As previous posters indicate it is more a resort. Pool and area of beach is one of the best draws. Halekulani is very nice, much quieter, but my feel is that it attracts an older crowd. We are ages 40 & 50 and classify the Halekulani (and The Royal Hawaiian) as places we will stay when we are older and don't care so much about the pool and beach. To each their own. Either way you can't go wrong. It's Hawaii after all!!!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:27 PM

Halekulani has absolutely no beach. If that matters to you.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:19 PM

Halekulani is a wonderful hotel. you would never think you were in the middle of Waikiki. True -- no beach to speak of -- the atmosphere and service are wonderful. Late afternoon go for drinks and listen to the hawaiian music.And then you can have a very good meal at Halekulani. But in that regard -- you should try and have a dinner at Alan Wong's.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 03:58 AM

I loved the peace and calm of the Halekulani. They can't do enough for you. Pool service was top notch as was housekeeping and concierge. The Halekulani is the epitomy of elegance. If you like napkin in your lap lunches and formality then the Halekulani is the right place for you. The HHV, even though I haven't stayed there always seemed very hustle, bustle with tons of children. It felt to me like walking into a very cluttered room. I couldn't wait to go back to my, nice, quiet retreat at the Halekulani. Waikiki is crazy enough without having craziness at the hotel you're staying at. Just MHO.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone, fivestar, that was exactly what I was thinking..... exaactly the respnse I was expecting...
is there really no beach at all, it looks like there is on the travel channel, .. I cant imagine none at all...??
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:42 AM

There is a very small strip of beach near the pool area. Probably not the area where you would want to lay out, as people are walking through that area as the move along the walkway.

Do a google image search for 'halekulani beach' and you will get some pictures.

Here's one:

http://www.world-travel.net/hawaii/o...kula/front.jpg
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:45 AM

There is a very small semi circle of a beach. It's not much to speak of, but with a pool as beautiful as the Halekulani's you might reconsider the beach. You can actually go to any spot on waikiki if you are a beach person.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:23 AM

When I said it is on a nice stretch of beach, I meant you are right on the water (especially at high tide). You can walk along the beach less than five minutes and have plenty of room to lay out.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

well, I think it sounds like we'd enjoy the Halekulani more than the Hilton. we'll have to decide soon, atleast we have a reservation at both in the meantime!!

is the prime oceanview that much better than the oceanview at Halekulani... anyone know?9
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 02:15 PM

I have to say that the Prime Oceanview in my opinion would be a lot better, especially if you have a Diamond Head View. We had an Ocean view and overlooked the pool area. It was lovely, but I kept wishing that we had the Diamond Head view. We had a Diamond Head view when we stayed at the Royal Hawaiian a couple of years ago and it was worth every cent. It was also breathtaking.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:42 PM

We did a lot of research ourselves and ended up at the HHV Alii tower Jr suite., i think it was room 1006 or 1016 not sure. two huge lanai's that wraped around with an ocean front view, pool view and an awesome view of diamond head. no need to even leave the room with this kind of view. the coffee was free and also free water bottles 2 to 3 times a day in your room. the grounds and pool are the best in waikiki. the beach was truly the best stretch on waikiki. we are coming back next march. the halekulani has a plantation feeling with a cement walkway in front of it and the small beach sits over to the left, we prefer the HHV. good luck. we are also staying at the Grand Wailea, my husband does the telecom engineering over there and we are fortunate that we can stay free.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

RenDen, thanks, as a matter of fact, we have decided afterall to stay at the HHV in the Ahli Tower.
I am happy with our decision, I think it will be nice because after we leave Waikiki, we go to Kauai and Hana before the GW, and will have plenty of quiet time in those 2 destinations.

can you tell me what else they offer with the concierge in teh Ahli Tower?
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 09:19 PM

they have maid service 2 to 3 times a day, you have your own free night appitizers between 5 and 7 by the Alii pool bar, morning continental breakfast, with a charge though. a small free gym. great pool service. overall my favorite tower at the HHV, i dont know what room type you are staying in, but if you are in a partial ocean view try to get room 227, it has a hugh patio overlooking the superpool and the beach...have fun