Quiet Waikiki hotel?

Mar 17th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Quiet Waikiki hotel?

My husband and i are going to Hawaii November 2007 and would like to spend about five nights in Waikiki to see the sights and also spend some time on the beach. We will be spending another 7 nights in Maui in a more quiet atmosphere.

I was looking into the waikiki outrigger on the beach but after reading some reports on trip advisor (noisy, paper walls, spring break feel) I'm thinking this is not the place for us. having said that, there were many more positive posts than negative but the negatives were so bad!

Now i realize that Waikiki is in the middle of everything - we like that- but we also like a quiet room at night.

We are looking for a room on the beach or across from the beach for up to $400 a night.

thanks!
Mar 17th, 2007, 09:12 AM

I would suggest being either at Hilton Hawaiian Village, or at the opposite end of Waikiki on the Diamond Head side. I stayed next to the HHV at the Hale Koa (military resort) 5 years ago and appreciated being in one of the quieter sections of Waikiki.
Mar 17th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Hilton Hawaiian Village is wonderful and the grounds are very beautiful. Don't miss the penguins!
Make sure to at least drive to the North Shore--it is very beautiful and quiet. There is a wonderful little popular coffee shop across the street from the Hilton Hawaiian Village that I would highly recommend for breakfast.
Mar 17th, 2007, 01:20 PM

We stayed at the Royal Hawaiian, and room was very quiet. We thought the gardens and public spaces at the Royal Hawaiian were quite lovely. You are next to Duke's. So, if you go on your balcony, the music can be quite loud.

The Halekulani is even more quiet. There is no beach in front of the hotel (the hotel is built up to the water), but their pool is absolutely beautiful with a huge mosaic of an orchid on the bottom.
Mar 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM

How about the New Otani down at the far end of the beach towards Diamondhead, by Queen Kapiolani park? I am assuming it would be much more quiet than the places right in the middle of Waikiki.

www.kaimana.com
Mar 18th, 2007, 04:23 AM

We stayed at the Hawaii Prince which was extremely quiet. It's at the end of Waikiki not directly in all the action. They have a free shuttle that will get you there in a couple of minutes. Very nice ocean views but not really close to a beach.
Mar 18th, 2007, 07:57 AM

The New Otani is a good choice. It is small by Waikiki standards at the quiet end of Waikiki, but a short walk to all the action. It also has a nice restaurant, the Hau Tree Lanai that is right on the beach. Just make sure that you request a king bed. It is a Japanese chain that caters to Japanese tourists. When we arrived, the room had two twin beds.

Mar 18th, 2007, 03:45 PM

My trips to O`ahu are usually business-related, so I need a good night's sleep. And good service.

I stay at Alana Doubletree -- on the fringe of the Waikiki madness:
http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hote...KADT&WT.srch=1

Or the already-recommended oceanfront New Otani:
http://www.kaimana.com

And last month tried -- and very much enjoyed -- the brand-new Embassy Suites Waikiki BeachWalk:
http://embassysuites.hilton.com/en/e...tyhocn=HNLESES

Mar 19th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Just want to make sure people realize that while it has floor-to-ceiling windows with views, the Hawaii Prince does not have lanais.
Mar 19th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Oh, and another thing, the Hilton Hawaiian Village is huge and can be quite noisy itself.
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I think the Otani sounds perfect....except no pool! I love the fact that its small and quiet and the restaurants sound great. Being on the beach is a must - not having a pool is not an issue for me but it is for the husband.

And the rates were really reasonable...

maybe I can convince him that since we have a pool in our backyard.... a pool in Waikiki is not essential

Mar 19th, 2007, 09:31 AM

<<a pool in Waikiki is not essential>>

hold the phone(!) for me it is, necessary to have a pool on vacation

i didn't realize that about New Otani, thanks so much for the heads-up on my own suggestion!
Mar 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM

auntie

Was the new Embassy noisy at all ? It's pretty close to the Beachwalk construction isn't it ?

Thanks
Mar 20th, 2007, 07:37 AM

I was there on a non-construction weekend, so can't comment on possible weekday noise...