hawaii oahu beaches valuables

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI I am getting ready to leave with a pile of great ideas I recd from this website. Thanks to all of you!

I am wondering what do you do if you are walking to the beach and decide the family wants to swim...will our valuables be ok on the beach? do they have lockers? sorry to sound so naive, but I am!
we are from the midwest, the nearest ocean beach is 800 miles minimum any direction!
We are jsut wondering what the rest of you have experience with! THANKS
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:03 AM
bonniebroad

atjaden, I don't leave anything valuable on a beach in Hawaii (or anywhere else)! No lockers at any of the beaches I've been to ...... anything you leave could be gone in minutes, depending on the beach. Guys can get swimsuits with inner, waterproof pockets for keys, I.D., money, etc. (L.L. Bean is a good source.) Leave everything in your room that you don't HAVE to have when you go out *adventuring* unless you have enough people in your party that one person can always stay with your stuff.

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:03 AM

One of the best snorkeling and swimming experiences for us on Oahu was at Hanauma Bay where you can rent lockers. Link
http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/facility/hanaumabay/information.htm

For other beaches without lockers we leave valuables in hotel safe and carry small $) in waterproof wallets etc, as discussed previously in last year's link:http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1&tid=34510138

Another option is for someone to swim while another waits on the beach with valuables.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The best way is to swim in pairs and leave someone sitting on the beach. This is good from a water safety perspective as well.

Since I travel solo, I never take valuable to the beach. Pack a beach bag with a coin purse, towel, lotion, food, water, disposable camera, like that. Leave everything else at the hotel.

As mentioned there are various waterproof methods (plastic tube on a string that goes around your neck, swim trunks with pockets) if you need to have hotel key, drivers license, etc. with you.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:42 AM

And of course, when you leave your valuables in the hotel, lock them in your room safe, just don't put them in your suitcase.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:27 AM

I know it's kind of "dorky" these days, but it worked for me when I was in Waikiki alone for 2 weeks last summer - I wore a fanny pack whenever I went out adventuring. My hotel key, some cash or debit card, ID, etc. fit just fine, I kept it on and everything was fine. Of course when I went out on the town, I left the "dorky" thing in the room and carried a small handbag.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I bought a little waterproof soft clear plastic case here: http://www.outdoorworldmall.com/stor...exact_match=on

You can also go to a sports store that has diving gear and get either something like that, or, more likely, a hard shell waterproof case to hang around your neck. I've used both and they work great.

Don't leave anything of value on the beach, or in your car, even if it's locked, even in the trunk! Thieves can get in before you can with a key! Get some waterproof disposable cameras, they're great! Be honest with yourself and admit no one's gonna want to watch vacation videos, so don't burden yourself with a video camera. The only thing I would bring to the beach are towels, mats, food, and the like. Keys and cash can go in the case around your neck. You'll feel better traveling light in Hawaii anyway! Lugging tons of crap to the beach is no fun.

Have a great trip!

love
roxy
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to all!
There have been so many great suggestions about walking to activities that you can stop by a beach as part of a daytrip! THnaks!