Best beaches - Oahu?

Nov 10th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Best beaches - Oahu?

Hey everyone! What is the best beach for someone who mainly wants to lay on the beach and soak up some rays and do some leisurely swimming? Not really into water sports, maybe a little bit of snorkeling. I'll be staying in Honolulu, but any beach is fine as I will have a rental car. Thanks!
Nov 29th, 2008, 04:41 PM

The closest beach that I would recommend is Ala Moana Beach park, anytime except Sat and Sundays. The locals come out to the beach on those days and although most are very friendly, there is not a lot of room to park or be by yourself. Of course, this goes for most beaches on the weekends or holidays. For one of the best ones on the island, go to Kailua or Lanikai beaches. Some of the best soft sugar sand and clear, Caribbean type water you can imagine. Plenty of shade or beach area

Rex
Nov 29th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Lots of beach info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34811875
Nov 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM

I love Waikiki! Either end... in front of Kapiolani park or in front of Fort de Russey park it is less crowded than in the middle stretch. Also there are restrooms, showers, and a snack bar at either end.

Sorry don't know about other beaches since I never rent a car myself. You might want to get a copy of Oahu Revealed guidebook?

Nov 30th, 2008, 07:15 AM

I believe you said in another thread you will be there early Dec and if that is correct Ala Moana, Kailua, Waikiki and maybe Waimanalo beaches.
Waikiki from the hula mound on Kuhio Beach down towards Queens Beach have a sea wall that offers abit more protection then at the other beaches.
Nov 30th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Perfect beach for you: Sans Souci ... fronting the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki area. Like a big sloshy warm bathrub, perfect for swimming.
Dec 1st, 2008, 08:24 AM

I love Kailua Beach....and if you're going in the summer, Sunset Beach ont he North Shore. (In the winter, the waves would make the swimming anything but leisurely! )