Any must-see Oahu beaches?

Mar 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Any must-see Oahu beaches?

Leaving to Oahu in a week. Need your advice on nice,safe and children/teen friendly beaches other than Waikiki where we are staying. Also easy ride from Waikiki, most likely by city bus. I've been going over Oahu Travel Planner, it has so many beaches listed that it's hard to choose with time and transportation limits.
Dusty,Melissa and other hawaiian experts,
can you recommend a couple of must-see beaches? Thank you
Mar 9th, 2007, 10:09 PM

I thought the beaches on the East Shore/SE side of Oahu were positively stunning. Makapu'u Beach Park was gorgeous. Looks like you could get there by the #22 bus from Waikiki (see thebus.org ). You could stop off the #22 before that to some other great beaches as well.

Here are some pics including one of Makapu'u Beach Park:

http://www.portlandbridges.com/00,5D...waii-oahu.html
Mar 9th, 2007, 10:09 PM

I mention several on this thread:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

You can probably walk to Ala Moana Beach Park. It is just across the bridge from Waikiki.

Kailua Beach is easy to get to by bus.

Sunset Beach & Waimea Bay Beach Park are the two most scenic North Shore Beaches. But it takes 4 hours on a bus plus the time you would spend on the beaches. So just stopping at a couple beaches on the North Shore is about an 8 hour trip. I suggest you rent a car for these.

This link is for popular attractions by bus:

http://www.thebus.org/pop/pop.asp
Mar 10th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Andrew and Dusty56438. I'll check your links.
Mar 11th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Not exactly an answer to your question but...

even along Waikiki there are different beach areas. i prefer either end (up by Fort de Russey park or down by Queen Kapiolani park) where it is less crowded.

I haven't been but the beach at Ala Moana gets good comments too.
Mar 15th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all.
Andrew,
Your pictures are great! So you live in Portland, ah? My friend is considering moving there with her family. You definitely have a lot of fun things there, except for fishing and permanent fund divident- Probably more taxes. Maybe I am wrong. Anyway, these are the things for a new thread...
Mar 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Thank you, needsun. I hope you have a great time in Oahu. When I was going back over my pics recently I couldn't believe how badly I wanted to back! I do want to explore the other islands, but I loved Oahu (except for Waikiki). Most likely I'll go back again in December, although I'd love to try swimming with the sea turtles off the turtle beach. The sea seemed too rough to swim out there in the winter on the North Shore - I think it is much more calm in summer.

Please send your Portland-bound friend to my website! I have info on moving to the area beyond just photos.
Mar 15th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Since you're leaving in a week, I wouldn't recommend the North Shore beaches for swimming right now. Nice for watching waves or experienced surfing only - just a few days ago it was 20-25 feet.

Lanikai and Kailua beaches are always beautiful, tends to get windy in the afternoon.

Ala Moana is very close to Waikiki and is always a good bet, except when the box jellies come in.

East shore beaches are still be pretty nice this time of year.
Mar 15th, 2007, 06:15 PM
TahitiTams

Always love going to Sunset Beach...
gorgeous and alot of fun..
heads up on the shore breakers..they can really slam you into the sand..

Mar 15th, 2007, 07:38 PM

I don't think Makapu`u is a good choice with kids. Can be very rough.

#1 choice would be in front of the statue of Duke Kahanumoku --just past teh Moana Hotel. You can rent surfboards, take surf lessons, and this is the real Waikiki Beach with Daimond Head in teh background!

I'd also go into the park at the end of Waikiki (my favorite beach is between the Natatorium and New Ohtani Hotel), plus Ala Moana, Hanauma Bay, and Kailua Beach. Both Hanauma and Kailua will take a long bus ride, but the routes are pretty scenic.

The North shore beaches will likely be too rough for safe swimming in early April.
Mar 15th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for great suggestions. Adding to my Oahu file.
Andrew, I am sending my friend to your site. Iam sure she will be very interested. Thank you