Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Have you ever shared too much information on the travel forum?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever got so excited about your upcoming travel plans and later decided that perhaps you'd shared too much personal information Or too detalied an itineraray? Does anyone have any stories?

Have you ever had a problem as a result of 'too much information' given out? on travel forums?

Would love to hear any stories.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Yes, but it would be too much information if I told you

I actually had a problem with a poster who emailed with me privately, turns out-she gave out my emails and email addresses to other people and generally was/is a problem.
So beware of what you post and who you trust.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Scarlett. SO you had a problem with trusting someone and they let you down by giving out your email? That can be the pits especially if it turns into harrassment.
Hopefully the safetly of your trips was not affected ( or the worry of safety).

I hope you got rid of unwanted emailers.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Who knows who the emails were sent to, that is the creepy part. But thank you, I contacted some people and hopefully they are watching out for me too.
Yes, sadly, that is the way I learned my lesson, trusting someone on the internet can be rewarding or a lesson in bad judgement..thankfully, she was my one case of reeeally bad judgement.

I have never had a problem on a trip but now that you mention it LOL I will have to be more vague when talking about where and when!

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:08 AM
GoTravel

Yes, about five or six years ago I got cyber stalked and then got real life stalked. It was quite scary.

Sometimes, even if you don't list any information people can figure out where you live, etc.

I've decided to stop living my life in fear.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Jed

No, haven't had a problem. Yet. I suspect that problems from others as a result of posting here are rare.

Did I just give myself a hex?

Kodi, what happened to you?

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:39 AM
cd

Go Travel
You got stalked? How scary! I want to hear about it! You mean they came to your house? What happened?
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No I haven't ever shared too much personal information but then again I never get online after drinking wine!

p.s. sorry to hear the scary stories above from Scarlett and GoTravel.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:26 AM
GoTravel

Let's just say that this person had a lot of time on their hands and through various websites like www.classmates.com was able to track me down physically.

Cyberstalking is bad enough but when they start following you it's pretty bad.

Fortunately between our local police, the state police, and my husband (he's a really big guy 6'5" and a body builder), this person went away.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:37 AM

Yes, I saw firsthand what sharing too much on Fodor's can do. Nothing terrible, but I don't participate on FFR&R's for that reason. But I do enjoy reading them, and my heart goes out to many of you for all the trials and tribulations you've shared.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:49 AM

I post my e-mail on this site fairly often. Yes, I get spam, but who knows where it comes from! I get the same spam on other addresses which I don't post.

Several Fodorites know my address. Yes, I post where I will be on my trips. Sometimes I give too much personal information.

It's all up to you - how much you want to share. Internet is not a safe place, but so is the real life, if you watch the news.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:04 AM

I think both Faina and GT make good points. Yes, it's wise to be somewhat cautious. But not to the point that it keeps you from enjoying things. After all, these days you never know what perfectly innocuous activity will wind up causing a problem.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:20 PM
cd

Scarlett
Sorry you had/have a problem and Go Travel, glad your problem went away.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Scary stuff! Glad it hasn't kept those of you who've had bad experiences from contining to share useful information.

Have any of you ever googled yourself and been surprised to find you're "out there?" I was surprised and more than a little annoyed to discover my h.s. alumni information was online, complete with name and address. Hope there's no one out there thinking they've an old score to settle with me....
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:24 PM

YES, YES, YES, I have Googled! There are so many Faina's in Russia offering fun time, I promise none of those are mine

And also there is a hotel Faina in Italy. Do you think they will toss in one free night if I stay there?
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Scarlett and GoTravel, how scary. No, I have not had a problem. I was just discussing it with a friend who is not a regular forum user and the subject came up. I agree we should all be cautious but not to the point of being paranoid. I have met a few Fodorites and they have all been wonderful people.
But I don't like to participate in FFR&R's. I prefer to stick to travel talk. FOr the most part I think travel people are a unique and wonderful breed.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM

What the heck is FFR&R's?
Sometimes I say a little too much about work related stuff but other than that nope, no problems at all.
As long as no one really knows you, you can freely state your dates of travel, hotels, etc... no one will ever know who you are.
It is irritating to me when people say "How much is air fare to Hawaii"
People who 'know' need dates to provide accurate information... ditto with hotels and cars.
Right this moment I am staying at Paris in Las Vegas. Shoot, I will even tell you I am a 42 year old, 5'5, caucasian woman with short brown hair.
Too much information? Are you crazy? No one could find me here... even if I told them the floor I was on.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:39 PM

FFR&R = freaky friday rant and raves, our Friday thread!