Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Warning about Katrina Scam Operators and a Bit of News from Baton Rouge Lousiana

Warning about Katrina Scam Operators and a Bit of News from Baton Rouge Lousiana

Sep 4th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

I've just heard from a friend who recently moved from Washington DC to Baton Rouge, Lousiana.

She sent a warning about flim flam operators who are trying to get money via the internet. There is an article in the Washington Post on this subject, so give only to reputable charities.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp_dyn...083102574.html

"Scammers Hit Web in Katrina's Wake"

The article is especially valuable for a list of some of the websites run by these scammers.

My friend also said in her email: "The population of Baton Rouge has gone from 200,000 to 450,000 in 5 days. All services are overwhelmed. Shelters are full, all apartments and hotels are 100% occupied and families are often housing 10 to 15 of their relatives from New Orleans. 100,000 new children have to be placed in schools (but no teachers or buildings for this new group). So financial help is certainly needed and appreciated."

Remember, give only to reputable charities. Thanks for reading this!
Sep 4th, 2005, 09:18 PM

Thanks for posting easytraveler. Yes the slimy people always come out of the woodwork when there is a distaster.
Phoney charities, phoney companies offering to repair houses etc. It is good if everyone is aware to be very cautious. Take care.
Sep 5th, 2005, 06:11 AM

ttt
Sep 5th, 2005, 10:44 AM

I recieved a phishing spam only a few minutes ago. a very slick looking email with professioal graphics, statistics, and information. Its a complete fack and it is as convincing as the infamous fack Ebay spams. Don't click on the links or even reply with "go fly a kite" because they are trying not only to get money from you but also finding out which email addresses their computer sends to has a real live person attached to it for future scams.

Jorr
Sep 5th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Oh God my spelling is bad after reading my post. But hope you get the message!
Sep 5th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Your message is readable and understandable jorr and I agree. I personally just delete any email that I receive if I do not know who it is from. I never open an unknown sender email. Learned that years ago when I got my first computer thanks to my stepdaughter that works in computer security etc. But having a reminder is good for all of us. Best wishes.
Sep 5th, 2005, 10:58 AM

As easy as it is to see how many worms come crawling out of the woodwork in such a crisis, it is just as easy to let our guard down. Some people have complained that volunteers are being turned away from helping or caught up in red tape. Can you imagine the problems of releasing stranded children to the "nice" couple who show up to take in and care for these "orphaned" children only to find out later they were sick pedophiles? And that's only the beginning of potential problems. What about "volunteers" at shelters or clinics who are merely trying to get drugs for themselves?
Sep 5th, 2005, 11:21 AM

I posted, in the middle of another long donation thread, about follow-up emails that I received after donating on secured sites of reputable organizations.

The emails looked legitimate, and there was a link to connect and add "additional" information.

One email advised that their "security team" had detected "unusual activity" on the credit card # I had provided and that my card was "compromised". I was told to "click on the link and provide additional account information", so that my donation could be "released".

That's when I called my bank.

Those that we call *hackers* are more clever than I ever imagined.

Marion

Sep 5th, 2005, 12:56 PM

easytraveler (oh crap, here I'm typing and the Delta popup is lurking, despite using Firefox) -- thanks for the article but it's now blocked for people who haven't registered w/the WashPost... can you excerpt or...?
Sep 5th, 2005, 01:04 PM

MarionCK, be careful. When I signed up with PayPal, a very respected site, I immediately received an email from "PayPal" asking me for my bank routing number and my PIN. The scammers are very quick to scam people for "additional information".
Sep 5th, 2005, 01:15 PM

Thanks, jorr,

It was PayPal, or a scam operation claiming to be PayPal, who sent the first follow-up email.

When I called my local, small bank, I was told that many customers had provided the information and that their accounts showed significant withdrawals.

The second *scam* was not related to PayPal...just another group wanting information that should NEVER be given.

I'm going back to using the phone for all future donations.

Again, thanks for your concern....

Marion
Sep 5th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Good info easytraveler, thanks for sharing. I at this point think using the telephone to donate unless you are absolutely sure the website is legitimate is the best way to go. There are always the "hungry wolves" out there taking advantage of good hearted people.
Sep 5th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

loveitaly: thanks for your encouragement!

soccr: I took a chance posting the entire article, thinking it was very important for most people, but I guess Fodors was afraid of being sued for copyright infringement - so, if you want to know the highlights, please let me know and I'll synopsize the points for you.
Sep 5th, 2005, 10:27 PM

Folks, setting aside the screen name, this post is genuine. We care.

Ok, so after donating to my charity of choice, I couldn't sit still. I wanted to go and offer help directly, but that wasn't feasable.

Instead, I have done the only thing I know I can do quickly and effectively...build a website!

I have created a Hurricane Family Help portal located at http://www.hurricanefamilyhelp.org

1st things 1st - we DO NOT accept donations.

Here is the stated purpose:

1) To unite displaced individuals and families of hurricane Katrina with others willing to offer immediate SHORT TERM shelter.

2) To unite displaced individuals and families of hurricane Katrina with others willing to offer LONG TERM shelter.

3) To unite the survivors with family and friends.

4) To find full or part time employment opportunities for hurricane victims.

5) To provide contact information for charities, communities, and churches offering assistance.

Thank you,
Craig
Sep 5th, 2005, 10:41 PM

santa,

I'm worrried by the fact that this it the 5th post I've read from you - all the same.

I prepared to be wrong but there are website's I'd rather use that yours.

Sorry and all that!
Sep 6th, 2005, 01:32 AM

santa~You are a worry to me.

XO, Virginia
Sep 6th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Apologies to those offended. I posted this info separately and received little response on that thread, and it fell to the bottom of the list. Later, it occurred to me that it should be woven into the threads that were at the top of the list here. By no means did I intend to offend.