Harlem Gospel Tour NYC

Search

Harlem Gospel Tour NYC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harlem Gospel Tour NYC

Has anyone ever experienced this tour or a tour like it? We are taking a Catholic 8th grade class from Indiana to NYC and stumbled across this tour. We thought it might be an interesting cultural experience for them. Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thnaks,
Donna
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:49 AM

I'm not sure this is a great idea for 8th graders. Exposing them to other religions is fine - but they need to be very sensitive that this is a religious service - not a show - and they need to be able to behave accordingly. (Some churches have started closing services to strangers due to the behavior of the "tourists" - snapping pictures and causing disturbances.)

Only you have a chance of predicting how the kids will do in this environment.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comment - I am not worried about the kids at all. 9 8th graders & 15 adults - lots of eyes on the kids are a good group of kids.

I was really just ring about the experience . It's $49 per person and it sounds great. Just seeing if anyone has done it.

Thanks,
Donna
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:59 PM

Instead of a tour, how about just contacting the Archdiocese to find a church where the kids may want to attend that has some of the elements you are looking for.

I think these tours are in incredibly bad taste and make me very uncomfortable.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:04 PM

I googled this and it does sound interesting but it seems pricey. I think the students would really enjoy it and the services would sure be different than what they are used to! Our school does an 8th grade US historical tour (my son and DH will go /07) and visit NY as part of the trip. You could just find services at a local gospel church and attend. Maybe you could call the church that the website refers to and ask how they feel about visitors. It is a church, after all, so I can't imagine them being opposed, and your group is small. When I googled "Harlem Gospel Tour" I got lots of info, so maybe explore the site some more and plan your own tour! Have a great time!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:06 AM

Churches are private places belonging to the congregants. And many churches are opposed to strangers coming in just to "watch" the services.

I don;t imagine they would object to people taking part in the services - but if this is a Catholic group they would not be taking part in services of another (perhaps some sort of baptist) religion.

You most certaianly do need to get permission for a group of nonworshipers to attend another church's services. Especially given the fact that some of these churches are fairly small (we're not talking St Pat;s Cathedral) and a whole group of strangers would be very obvious.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:03 AM

I agree that no one should simply show up at a church to "watch" its services without asking permission first. But why do you say a Catholic group would not be taking part in a Protestant service? Catholics are allowed to sing/pray in Protestant churches; as I understand it, finding common ground is encouraged.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:05 AM

Sorry - hit post too soon.

If the church involved is a willing participant in the tour, then couldn't this be just such an exercise in finding common ground?
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:02 AM

Well - this may differ parish by parish - and I know there are a lot of efforts towards ecumenical activities. But where I live Catholics are not encouraged to take an active part in the ceremonies of other religions.

(Attending a wedding, baptism or something "social" is different - but taking full part in the regular services of other religions is not encouraged.)