Gulf in September?

Jun 27th, 2002, 12:45 PM
sept06

Gulf in September?

My fiance and I are planning on honeymooning in Florida next September. I've always been to Florida in July/August and every December so I was wondering what the weather was like in September? We are looking at the Destin area and Sanibel/Captiva. Thanks!

Jun 27th, 2002, 03:53 PM
CF

September is great!

Jun 27th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Beachbum

September would be wonderful! Kids gone back to school, but the water still warm. Only footnote is hurricane season, but you're probably more at risk at home in the tub!

Jun 27th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Beachbum

oh, and one other comment. Pick Sanibel over Destin. Both are lovely in their own rights, Destin for the beautiful sandy beaches (beaches more shell-y in Sanibel); but IMHO, Sanibel is much more romantic. Lots of trails for biking or strolling, much, much less noise, very nice resturants. Happy honeymoon!

Jun 27th, 2002, 07:43 PM
sunbum

I live in Destin. Destin in September? Its awful. The water, the sky, the sunrise, the sunset, the beach, the activities, the food, the place just plain is not worth coming to. Ok, I'm just kidding! Ive been here 12 years, the place has become a mecca! What happened to the "old" Destin. Well I tell you sept6 we just could'nt keep it a secret, it is truly one of God's (whoops) great treasures!

Jun 27th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Polly

Destin is probably much less crowded in September for sure but Destin has gotten to be so HUGE--big traffic jams and high-rises by the dozens. Now, don't get me wrong, I'd still go there in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure it would be my choice for a honeymoon. I've been to Sanibel/Captiva, too and I think it might be a little more romantic, too. Have fun!

Jun 28th, 2002, 09:55 AM
sept06

thanks for the input - i've stayed near santa rosa beach in the south walton beaches and loved it because it wasn't as busy as destin. if we go to that area we probably wouldn't stay right in destin.

Jun 28th, 2002, 08:02 PM
joan

Hope you love storms (I do!). september in my experience is the stormiest time of year.

Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:18 PM
wylie

I like the Beaches of South Walton-Santa Rosa. Beautiful area!

Jul 6th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Anita

We had our honeymoon in Sanibel in July many years ago. I would think that Sept would be perfect. It really was a relaxed place to be. I have also vacationed in Destin in Oct (early) & it was nothing much. Their's is more a spring/ summer season & the weather can be iffy. But the beach is nice & wasn't crowded. Just depends on what you're looking for. Sanibel is more laid back & Destin is more commercial. Both have good things. Congrats on the wedding & I hope this is the most difficult thing you have to decide.

Search this Thread