Nice beach place in September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (2 seniors, 2 small kids and 3 adults) plan to go Spain for 2 weeks: Seniors plan to stay 1 week on the beach and do one week of site seeing – either Barcelona or Andalucía. Kids and parents will stay on the beach for 2 weeks. Which beach town could you recommend? Is it good idea to go to Balearic Islands? We are looking for some quite charming place , good beach for kids, no nightlife. What is better weather wise: beginning of September or end of September: warm on the beach, but not too hot for site seeing?

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:10 PM

It will still be fairly warm on the Med coast in September.

As far as where to stay, do you have some idea of a budget?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 02:16 PM

I (Senior) am a great fan of Santander on Spain's north coast (Mar Cantabria). Their summer season ends 15 September, el dia de Cantabria (holiday). So for the beginning of September I recommend playa Sardinero, one of Santander's beaches west of downtown. We stayed at Hostal Paris our last visit there.

They also have a festival in early September to celebrate when the King & Queen of Spain vacationed there in the late 1800's. Everyone dresses like they did then and it's very colorful.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Robert,
I am looking at mid ( 4 star) price level. I read, that same places on Med coast could be quite windy and rainy in September. Is it true?

NEDSIRELAND,
Thanks - I will check Sardinero.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:36 AM

The Costa Brava is well know for its wind, but we spent three weeks there this past January and it was beautiful, hardly a breeze. Global warming?

Typically, September is still fairly warm, but a little wind shouldn't bother you. A lot of the coves around the village of Begur are sheltered from the wind, the beaches are smaller, but there is plenty to keep the children busy.

There are a number of house/villas for rent in the area, but you may want to check on the Parador de Aiguablava (just outside of Begur) to see what specials they are running in September. The Parador has some great suites and the views are stunning.

You may want to take a look at the March 07 newsletter from Iberian Traveler, which has a small item on the area around Begur (http://iberiantraveler.com/it_newsletters.html)

You should also take a look at Maribel's Guide to Barcelona which should help with your planning (http://maribelsguides.com/).
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 11:12 PM

Nerja is a nice beach for kids and this village is a good base to visit Granada or Sevilla. Beginning of September is warm but not too hot.
http://www.nerja.es/turismo_ing/index.php
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help