Notices

Grand Canyon Lodging

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon Lodging

My plans for a June trip are progressing (and expanding).

I've added a day and now would like to stay on the South Rim for a night.

The only availability for that night are Maswik Lodge and Yavapai Lodge.

Should I just flip a coin and take one. Is one more preferable than the other, or should I pester them every day waiting for cancellation at El Tovar, Blue Angel or Kachina?

Thanks.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:03 PM

I can't picture where these are or how they look. Hopefully, someone has some advice. But you should go ahead and secure the reservation you can, and then keep checking for cancellations at one of the other places. If that doesn't come through, you'll still have a place only 1/2 mile from the rim. Make sure you pack a flashight if you plan to walk around after dark---we found it to be VERY dark there---no street or path lighting. A good thing for seeing the stars, but hard to find your way around!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Apparently Bright Angel has some rooms with bathroom (toilet) but common shower.

Since it's only for one night I booked that and I'll keep pestering them looking for a cancellation.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM

We had a room like that last April. I didn't mind it at all---the shower was clean and available when I wanted to use it. And you can't beat the price.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:37 PM

We've been to the Grand Canyon several times. We've stayed at both Yavapi and Bright Angel. By far, we preferred Bright Angel, even with the common shower. The room was more than adequate and it's located right on the rim. Location, location, location. Yavapi is in the woods, rather like a Motel 6. Not terrible, but Bright Angel is much more interesting.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

I'll keep my Bright Angel room and see if a cancellation comes up.

Thanks for the help.

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:51 PM

We stayed at the Yavapai Lodge this past week. In the morning we walked about 2 block, hopped on a shuttle to the information plaza, walked across the plaza and hoped on a different shuttle and were at Yaki Point for sunrise. That evening, we did it again and were at Yaki Point for sunset. We had flashlights along but never used them. Had we stayed right on the rim, I'm sure we'd have enjoyed that as well, but we wouldn't have been as likely to have been out on a point for either sunrise or sunset and Bright Angel lodge is a long way back from a point.