Yavapai or Maswik, at the Grand Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone compare these 2 Grand Canyon Lodges? if these were your choices which is better?
I'd be interested in pro's/con's regarding location, room comfort, dining.

Thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 08:08 AM

We stayed in Yavapai East last month and found it just fine -- good beds, tv, minifridge, coffeemaker, airconditioning (didn't need it), convenient to shuttle stops and the general store -- about like your average mid-range American motel room except set in a pine forest a half mile from the edge of the Grand Canyon. The cafeteria was ok, not inexpensive or very attractive but adequate for a quick bite. We had one brakfast at Bright Angel, which was much bettr and not much more expensive than the Yavapai breakfast.

Maswick is similar, I think, in that is among the newer facilities and not at the canyon rim. I'm not aware of anything noteworthy about the food there, as El Tovar is THE "dining room."

Perhaps other posters have some recent experience with Maswick. You'll probably be fine with either choice -- after all, it is at the Grand Canyon and that's what really matters.

Old Jul 6th, 2007, 08:51 AM

We stayed at the Maswick a few years ago and it was fine. Sounds like the previous poster's description of the other one, so I'd say you're good either way. Defintely eat a meal at El Tovar around sunset.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Stayed at both several times, they are equally acceptable/mediocre ... adequate for a night or two at the Canyon but definitely not destination lodges.

Seems like more of the Maswick rooms are in larger buildings so given equal availabilty and prices we usually chose Yavapai, but there's not a great deal of difference in quality. I think the dining area at Yavapai was larger and had more choices too, plus it was close to the general store (Maswick is close to the Backcountry Ranger Office, if you're getting hiking permits).

Bill
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

just from looking, the only obvious difference I came up with was that Maswik is a bit closer to the other lodges, so one could walk over to El Tovar for dinner, rather than driving or taking the shuttle. Is that the case, or are they really all closer together than I realized?

thanks so much for your help. I appreciate all the replies.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:42 AM

I thought our room at Yavapai was adequate. The cafeteria was worthy of about two peach pits rather than any stars! Our food was edible, but that was about its only attribute.

The experience reminded me of a cattle drive. We got to the cafeteria entrance just as a tours bus brigade pulled up. I actually rushed as fast as I could to get in line.

Soon the line was out the door and the wait time was more than I cared to measure.

If you can, bring your own lunch fixings and try to avoid the cafeteria -- its that bad.

Old Jul 6th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Bob, I'd forgotten about the tour bus aspect of the Yavapai caf because the place was not a bit crowded on the three times we ate there. But we did see lines out the door at one point, two buses I think. We went to general store and got fruit, rolls, cheese and salami for the road instead.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 11:29 AM

I agree with the last two posts about the cafeteria at the Yavapai except that I thought the food wasn't even edible. After one meal there we got groceries for breakfast and lunches. The general store has a deli section with decent sandwiches and the store also had rotisserie chickens.
the lodge rooms have small refrigerators

Old Jul 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

I'm guessing Maswik has similar crowds because the train packages go there?

hopefully, in mid-October it won't be so bad. Anybody have any experience with this? certainly it seems like accomodation availability is up after Columbus day.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 01:58 PM

I guess I need to speak for myself on the cafeteria at Yavapai. My wife said she had seen garbage that was preferable to the food at Yavapai. I admit, it was just about the bottom. If we assigned peach pits for awfulness, this one would rate 3 pits where 4 is the worst in the world.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM

I stayed at Maswik, don't remember anything bad about it, sure it's not on the rim, but very close, nice walk through the woods.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 02:24 PM

The three times I ate at Yavapai, I had cold cereal and a banana for breakfast, ice cream (delicious espresso with chocolate chips) for a snack, and a fastfood hamburger. I did not give it a chance to impress me with its true awfulness, as I did not try anything from the hot foods line. My husband had spaghetti with meat sauce, I think, and he was not too favorably impressed, but he did eat it all.

We loved our El Tovar sunset dinner. Lovely surroundings, excellent service, and good food.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

any idea how far in advance one needs to make dinner reservations for El Tovar? is it one of those things I need to do 3 months ahead of time?
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
china,
may I ask why you've limited yourself to Yavapai and Maswick?

If it's because other choices are full, try calling Xanterra everyday, as I did (and some days more often) until a cancellation comes up.

In the last month the tours cancel their unbooked rooms.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Myer, yes, its because those are the lodges available right now. I do plan on continuing to try calling regularly, but I wanted to book one of them, so I would have something. also, I have no interest in the Bright Angel rooms that have shared shower (which is available on ONE of the days I'll be there).

So I went ahead and booked Yavapai for now.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
china,
Ok, I understand. Bright Angel had that type of room for my night there. Within 2 days I had a cabin 30-40 yards from the rim.

It got to a point I was on a first-name basis with the Xanterra telephone clerks.

Don't check online as individual cancellations aren't re-entered into they online system.

Call, call, call. Eventually it'll open up.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM

I stayed at Yavapai at the end of March and at Maswik in May. Stay at Maswik. As mentioned it is much closer to the other lodges and is in the village. Yavapai in not, you need to take a shuttle to get anywhere from Yavapai. From Maswik you can easily walk to Bright Angel, Thunderbird, ElTovar, and the West Drive (Hermit's Rest) shuttle stop.
Also, as mentioned, if you want different accommodations after you reserve keep checking. There are many cancellations.
I found the food at Maswik (only ate breakfasts and lunches there) to be MUCH better than at Yavapai, and had no long lines. Over the past several years I have stayed at Maswik several times, and have found it quite adequate.Many of the rooms there are larger than the ones in El Tovar, but not as luxuoriously decorated.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 10:58 PM

Also, if you are not staying at El Tovar you can make dining room reservations one month before your visit. If you book a room there you can make the dining reservations when you book the room.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

thanks, this is all very helpful.

I will call, I would love to get an opening at El Tovar, but any of the rim lodges would be great.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 04:00 PM

Hi there, we just returned from an overnight stay at GCNP. Booked 2 days prior as this was a last minute detour(8 hours) from Los Angeles to Vegas, Xanterra website showed only Yavapai available, but on calling, Maswik was also available. Booked 2 rooms , 2 queen beds,Maswik North as we wanted A/C. We needed it. Temps 119 the day we were in Arizona. Rate$142 per room per night. Requested upper floor.

Personally , we felt Maswik was better located. Close enough to walk to the rim to see sunset, close to Red line stop for shuttle to Hermits Rest and the Green line stopped at the front door. I have written a review on Tripadvisor which may take a few days to show up. For me Maswik would be my choice. Off course I would keep calling to check if the other rim hotels become available as people obviously cancel. Have a great trip, wherever you stay.