Grand Canyon

Mar 15th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Grand Canyon

I am doing my research for a place to stay for a family of five on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. The Kachina and Thunderbird will not accomodate 5, therefore 2 rooms would be needed...getting pricey that way! I spoke with Xanterra and found out that there are 2 suites that sleep 5 at the Bright Angel cabins. Anyone stayed at the Historic or Powell Suite? I'd love to hear feedback on these!
Mar 15th, 2007, 08:46 AM

We haven't stayed in the cabins, but wished we did. If those are the ones I'm thinking of, they are right on the rim.* You might ask the reservations agent to make sure they are close to the rim (rather than back by the parking lot).

*I don't mean "on" the rim as in right on the edge or overhanging. But they are back only 20 to 30 feet, with a sidewalk and low stone wall between you and the edge.
Mar 15th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

She actually said that one was, and the other was just a short distance away. I'll be sure to ask when I call to reserve. Staying in a cabin that sleeps 5 is half the cost of 2 rooms at the Kachina or Thunderbird. I just want confirmation from other Fodorites that this was a good place to be! Imagine it is a bit rustic, but hey, we're at the Grand Canyon! Any other tidbits of information on these cabins?
Mar 16th, 2007, 04:23 AM

We stayed in connecting rms in the Bright Angel cabins a couple of yrs ago for the 4 of us. The rms are tiny w/ double beds, but I thought plenty big w/ private baths, mini-frig, tv (which I wished it didn't have). I know I had read they could bring a roll-away in for an extra person for a rm to sleep 3 if needed but it will be snug. Our cabin was rim-side - some are and some aren't. Rim-side was amazing! We were on the other side of the sidewalk which is next to the canyon, and I would wake up in the AM, take a walk and get coffee in the coffee shop, and write in my journal on the front stoop looking out at the canyon. Fabulous! My boys would tumble out of bed for sunrise, take a few steps to watch it over the canyon, then fall back into bed for a couple of more hrs of sleep while I wandered and did my thing. It was great!
Mar 16th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Momof3boys! I had read of some concern of people walking by right outside of your window by staying on the rim, and hearing everyone's conversation! I wonder if the 2 connecting cabins is different than what they were calling suites on the phone. I like the no t.v for sure! One less battle with the kids!
Mar 16th, 2007, 06:22 AM

A few years ago we stayed in a Bright Angel cabin that was 20' from the rim. I felt like we won the lottery of cabins!! What a location! What a view!

The cabin was old, simple and very rustic but clean. It was real gem.