Maswik, Kachina or Yavapai?

Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Maswik, Kachina or Yavapai?

Which is the nicest of these? We are looking for something clean. I know I can't expect 1st class accomodations at any of these but what has the best location and is the cleanest?
Thanks
Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:10 AM

If you google Grand Canyon village map, you can see the locations of these.

Of those, I would prefer Kachina because it is right on the rim--clustered in the village along with Bright Angel, El Tovar and Thunderbird. Maswik is just a short walk away from them. The Yavapai is out by the campground and would be my last choice.

They are all managed by Xanterra so they would have the same cleaning crew.

We stayed at the El Tovar and the rooms had been updated. We actually were pleasantly surprised with how nice our room was, and we had the least expensive room.

I don't know when you are visiting the Grand Canyon, but there are often cancellations, so make your reservation and then keep checking the Xanterra website if you are interested in changing your reservation and staying at the El Tovar, Thunderbird or Bright Angel Lodge/cabins.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Linda!

Also, among the three motels I have listed, how is the drive to get there? Are you driving near the Canyon's edge to get there?
I ask this because of my fear of heights.

Thanks once again.

Susan
Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM

Well, what a strange destination to pick for someone with a fear of heights LOL
Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:58 AM

Here's a link to a PDF file showing the Grand Canyon village.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisi...illage_map.pdf

Yavapai and Maswik are both off the rim, and while I've never driven on Center Road it appears you could take the road to get to both of them and completely avoid the rim.

However, I have to ask about your fear of heights: how much of a dropoff is scary? 10 feet? 100? Is it scary just looking out at something like a canyon even if you're standing at the edge of a 5 foot dropoff?

It seems to me you have this picture of a great gaping hole, and in reality there are many places along the rim where you have very little dropoff to the next level - Bright Angel trail for instance. You may be standing at the edge of the canyon but if you look down there's a trail not far below you with a gradual downward slope to that point. It's not a sheer dropoff in many locations.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:11 AM

Hi susan1---Maswik and Yavapai each have an older and a newer wing. The rooms in the newer wings are larger, nicer, and more expensive. These would be Yavapai East and Maswik North. Both of these lodges are well back from the rim and the road to reach them does not go along the rim.

Kachina is one of the lodges that is near the rim, although it is separated from it by a lawn and a wide sidewalk.

As for clean, they should all be clean. They are all run by the same management. If your room isn't clean, call the housekeeping staff and have them correct it.

The main roads around the hotel and village area of the South Rim do not go along the rim---that is saved for a path. You would only see the canyon from your car if youstopped at Mather Point on your way in to the park.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:49 AM

Susan, I was on a tour bus, but I think there is the same road for private cars - long and boring and flat.