Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon Lodges - Will you help me to choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been checking the availability for GC lodges and, for my dates, I have three options, Yapavai, Bright Angel and Maswik Lodge. Which one is more advisable? I want to decide it soon, because I am afraid that there might be no room available if I think it over too much.
Thanks.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I just went thru the same thing.

Bright Angel is right on the Rim.

The others aren't.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Myer. The only rooms available at Bright Angel are without bathroom, without shower (which I won't choose) or cabins.
But cabins are said not be located at the main building, but at "walking distance"... I am not sure about booking one of these, because if they are not really near the rim... there is no advantage over Yapavai or Maswik...
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Bright Angel is right on the rim but there are shuttles running to the other lodges that start early, quit late, and will have you to anywhere on their route in minutes. We stayed at Yavapai and didn't feel we missed anything.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM
TheWeasel

Maswik is perfectly acceptable. It's not really any different from any other run of the mill hotel room. I think it's maybe a 15-20 minute walk from the rim.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much of a point to being right on the rim. You'll almost certainly be outside for sunrise/sunset at one of the viewpoints, and spend most of the daylight hours walking around looking at stuff. Once it's dark and you can't see anything, it doesn't really matter if you're on the rim or not.

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:21 PM

I'd go for a cabin at Bright Angel. It really is more desirable on the rim, easier access to what you want to see and do, especially grabbing the AM coffee and strolling the rim for a good morning view.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM

We have stayed in Bright Angel cabins. They are steps from the Rim - about a 2 minute walk from lodge. Each has 2 back-to-back units, totally separate, but with door connecting if you book both (sort of like adjoining hotel rooms where there is a locked door on each side. Each room is small and basic but clean, functional and in keeping with the setting. Private bath, huge windows, TV, basic furniture. The bedding was even comfortable.

Closer to Rim than the other 2 options.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:13 PM

The cabins at Bright Angel are absolutely the way to go. The other lodges are like motels in the woods, but Bright Angel is really special. I could see the rim from my window, which meant at dawn, all I had to do was sit up and there it was in all its glory. I wouldn't forgo a bathroom, either, although for what its worth, the Lodge is quite nice, too, and there's a cafeteria style dining room there, too. The cabins are just a few steps from the lodge.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:21 AM

We are going to the Grand Canyon next week and we would have chosen the cabins but they are all being renovated. Even after renovations, they are still going to be basic cabins but you can't beat the location--they are not luxury. The others that you mention are motel rooms. The cabins would be my first choice.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:54 AM

I stayed at Maswik, and would stay there again. Very close to the rim, in a forest where you can see the wildlife, but not threatened or unsafe.

There are, if I remember correctly 6 2-story buildings, a cafeteria, and 2 shuttle stops. Large parking.

The rooms are like in any motel, comfortable, all basic needs covered.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 11:36 AM

Bright Angel is kind of spread out, but most of the cabins are very close to the rim. I would definitely choose on of those.

Get up early and walk outside along the rim, to enjoy the sunrise and the peace of having all that beauty pretty much to yourself.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 01:33 PM

We stayed at Yapavai and were quite happy there. It was fairly private and very quiet. It was an easy walk to the rim.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM

We stayed at the Bright Angel Lodge and every morning I woke up and went to the big lodge and had a cup of coffee and walked the rim. It was spectacular. My suggestion is the Bright Angel Lodge. We had a great time there.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Having read all the opinions, I think I will try Bright Angel, although I guess that if it appears a room at El Tovar, I might change the booking.
However, I have learnt from your opinions that Yapavai and Maswik would't be bad options if Bright Angel is not available.
Many thanks.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:12 PM

I worked at GC many years ago and we vacationed there last year. The cabins at BA are certainly close to the rim, but keep in mind that there are usually crowds of people always milling about. Yavapai is a bit off the beaten path. Maswick is very nice. It's a less than 5 minute walk to the canyon. The rooms are much, much nicer than anything on the rim outside of ET. They just renovated most of them. We had a lovely balcony overlooking a quiet wooded area. The room was HUGE compared to the BA cabins. We're seldom in our room at GC but when I go back there for the night I want a quiet, comfie room.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:39 PM

I've stayed at Bright Angel and Maswik. We lucked out and were mere feet from the rim - but as others have said, there were always people outside the window between us and the rim - and thus could not keep the curtains open a lot of the time. If you don't have the bathroom setup you want, I would rethink BA.

We enjoyed Maswick, especially the mule deer who grazed outside the huge window - and the one that came right up and touched his nose to the window. The little boy was thrilled beyond measure. It was probably his favorite memory of the whole trip.

So, just steps away from the rim and people right outside your window? A bit further away and more privacy? It's really your call. I'm not sure which I'd choose, BUT I DO KNOW I'd book something NOW or you won't have the luxury of a choice!
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 04:34 AM
OO

I've stayed at both Bright Angel cabin and Yavapai. We love Bright Angel...had our adult children with us so the adjoining rooms of the two cabins was a perfect set-up for us. It is not elegant, no where near, but who needs elegant in that setting. It is perfect, in my opinion, for the GC. Actually, from all I've heard from friends who stayed at El Tovar, those rooms aren't elegant either.

We booked Yavapai another visit when Bright Angel was already booked solid. It is a drive from the better restaurants (at El Tovar and Bright Angel) and trail heads, so not as convenient. It was nicely appointed, again rustic, but not as much so as Bright Angel, and if given only that choice or staying outside the park, I'd definitely chose Yavapai.

Don't let the rustic aspect of BA turn you off. It really FITS its surroundings perfectly.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Well, the decision is taken... by now. Having translated all the answers to my DH, he preferred Bright Angel, so we are staying there for two nights next July.
Many thanks to all the very kind Fodorites who have helped us.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:16 PM

I think you will like it. There is a lot of history attached to the Bright Angel. It was designed by a woman architect, Mary Colter, at a time when there weren't many jobs for female architects. The fireplace she designed has rocks from each of the strata inthe canyon, arranged in "geological order".