Grand Canyon

Old Nov 29th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon

My husband and I are travelling from Vegas to Scottsdale. We have concerns about how much time we really need to spend in the Grand Canyon (we are not serious hikers or campers). We have 8 nights total. We are starting with 2 nights in Vegas (we've been there before), 1 or 2 nights in the Grand Canyon, 2 or 3 nights in Sedona and 2 in Scottdale. Basically we are wondering if we should spend more time in Sedona and less in the Grand Canyon. Any suggestions??? Thanks
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 01:11 PM

I would suggest 2 nights since it seems you will be getting there later in the day - that leaves you about 1 1/2 days to see Grand Canyon. It is nice to be able to see it at both sunrise and sunset. We are not serious hikers or campers either (although son and husband did a half day hike), but we found enough to easily occupy us with one half and one full day - arrived mid-afternoon one day, took in immediate sites, and spent next day walking, riding National Park Service shuttles to various look-outs. We left the next morning.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gail! Did you stay inside the park? Is it neccessary, or is staying outside in Tusyana fine? And, have you ever been to Sedona?
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 01:34 PM

I'd agree with two nights at the Canyon, especially if you won't arrive until late in the day. But then, I'm not a Sedona lover and three nights there would be much too much for me.
Stay in the park if you can. It makes for a totally different experience. Tusayan really isn't a town...just a collection of hotels and fast food places. Staying in Grand Canyon Village allows you to stroll along the rim in the evening, have dinner at El Tovar, stop in at the bar in Bright Angel, meet visitors from all over the world, and still be back at the rim in time to see sunrise the next morning.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 07:29 PM

I also vote for 2 nights at the Grand Canyon. It takes most of the day to just do the shuttle bus stops out to Hermits Rest. Even if you're not a serious hiker you might try walking along the rim and when you get tired you can pick up the shuttle buses. Also make sure you drive out to Desert View and make the scenic overlooks as you go. The canyon changes so much.

Utahtea