Good Restaurants near Newark Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 3 hour layover at Newark Airport and would love to go for paella if there is a Spanish/Cuban restaurant a close taxi ride from the airport. Any suggestions? If we can't get paella, our 2nd choice is a good Italian restaurant nearby. Thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Three hours isn't very long. I'm not sure I'd want to risk dinner going long or getting stuck in traffic, plus having to clear sercurity yet again.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 09:48 AM

I agree. With just 3 hours, getting to/from the airport to the restaurant, and going back thru the security lines would take about 3 hours. When are you going to have time to eat?
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

We actually have 3hr. 40 min. and won't have any luggage to recheck. I can't imagine it not allowing us enough time to go eat dinner and back (wouldn't want to wander to a restaurant too many miles away from the airport) and still be back in time to be at our gate 1/2 hour before the flight. ???? Then again, I've never flown in or out of Newark.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:52 AM

I haven't flown out of Newark since the latest security issues surfaced but 1/2 hour to go through security and get to your gate seems like you would be cutting it way too close.

The area around Newark airport is industrial so I doubt that there are many good restaurants.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:01 AM

There are a ton of good Spanish and Portuquese restaurants within 30 minute cab ride fromn the airport. The Ironbound District in Newark, especially Ferry Street, is as Iberian as any other outside of, well, Iberia.

If you must, then here are some of the better ones:

Casa Vasca (Elm Street)
Don Pepe's (McCarter Hwy)
Forno's of Spain (Ferry Street)
Tony da Caneca's (Elm Street)

Some of these have websites, if you care to google them. There are a lot more in and around Ferry Street area and most of these cater to the local Spanish and Portuguese populace.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:06 AM

BTW, if you don't want to cut it close for your flight, then you can go to one of the many Spanish or Portuguese delis and food stores along Ferry St. and grab some of the prepared foods to go. Just hang on to your cab.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:07 AM

I have seen security lines at Newart that took over an hour - so you should plan at being back at the airport no less than 1.5 hours before your flight time.

Assuming your flight lands on time and it takes you 30 minutes to get to a gate, through the terminal and out and get a cab - and 20 minutes to get to a restaurant and 20 minutes to get back you would have a grand total of one hour for dinner - if nothing goes wrong.

Really- why risk this?
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM

I agree with the others who say 3 hours (even 3:40 Hours) is simply not enough time to leave Newark Airport and return in time for your flight.

I travel through EWR often and it always seems to have the longest security lines I ever encounter. Also, depending on the time and day the traffic getting to/from the airport to anyplace can be horrendous. There's not many places close to the airport where you can find a decent meal. You really want to think this through carefully. I personally won't risk it.