3+ hour layover in Cincinnati - what to do?

Sep 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

3+ hour layover in Cincinnati - what to do?

Someone posted this same question two years ago, but I thought I would see if anything new has sprung up around the Cincinnati airport since then.

My boyfriend and I are flying through Cincinnati in mid-October and are looking for the best way to spend a 3-4 hours in the area (from about 2 to 5ish).

Any ideas for fun restaurants, quick sights or events? All suggestions are appreciated!

Sep 17th, 2008, 08:20 PM

CVG airport is outside Cincinnati--in Kentucky. These days, even a 5 hour layover can shrink with flight delays, security lines, etc. There are plenty of nice restaurants in the airport. Great bookstores, plenty of ammenities. Bring some cards along for entertainment. As of our last trip, DH owes me about $12,000 from our running Gin Rummy game (only played during layovers in airports).
Sep 17th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

We'll actually be there from about 2 to 7:30, but I factored in about 2 1/2 hours for new security lines (our luggage will be taken care of since we're flying Delta the whole way).

I thought maybe we could stay in the airport, but the Delta rep who booked us said she lives in Cincinnati and wouldn't recommend spending any time there. Is she missing something?
Sep 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM

I've flown throug CVG for years and (to me) it's one of the nicest airports. There's a Wolfgang Puck restaurant, brew pubs, Brooks Brothers as well as Brookstone stores (who can't entertain themself for at least an hour in a Brookstone store?). I can kill an hour easily in a bookstore. Is there are chance you could get a day pass for the Crown Room? I've stopped outside the airport for a meal and wasn't impressed (should have known you can't get good Mexican food there--plus, the Raiders were beating the Bengals and we were outnumbered).
Sep 17th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

LOL... I hear you! I think maybe the problem is that I travel too much for work. I might be the only person who actually has spent too much time at Brookstone (tho my boyfriend would probably love it). I do love that Puck pizza, though.
Sep 18th, 2008, 04:55 AM
maj

Agree that the airport isn't really near enough to anything that would be worth seeing for that amount of time. Also, that time frame is ending during rush hour.

Agree with the Crown Room day pass idea.
Sep 18th, 2008, 05:28 AM

Depending on the timing of the trip, Turfway Park is right across the street (if you like the ponies).www.turfway.com & Newport on the Levee www.newportonthelevee.com is about a 15-20minute cab ride away. They have one of the 3 (or maybe more now) Hofbrauhaus' in the world (related to the one in Munich).
Sep 18th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I checked into the Crown Room (didn't know you could purchase day passes), so if we get in late, that's definitely what we'll do.

If we get in on time, I think we'll take SAnParis2 up on the suggestion of Newport. After our 5 hours to kill, we have another 7-8 hour plane ride, so we could use a bit of a stretch (and beer!).

Thank you!!
Sep 18th, 2008, 09:46 AM

I do love the Cincinnati Zoo. The aquarium on the levee (Newport Aquarium) is cool too. There's also Jungle Jim's supermarket- I don't know where it is exactly, but it's supposed to be huge, with all kinds of ethnic foods. We want to go, but never have the time (we live in Detroit, and my parents are about an hour from Cinci- one of these days we'll make the trip over).
Sep 18th, 2008, 10:51 AM

I'm not being nasty, but I don't understand why anyone with a layover just a few hours long would risk leaving the airport. What if you take a taxi or car somewhere and you get into an accident? You could really screw yourselves in a variety of ways. I see this kind of thread and it makes me nervous! Just stay at the airport and bring a good book. If you don't like long layovers then don't fly that route or to the destination you are going! If you want to see Cincinnati stay over a night, but dont' risk leaving the airport.
Sep 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Skgrl - Obviously you've never visited the Cincy airport...lol Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Enjoy the beer.
Sep 18th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Skiergirl - I do appreciate the warning, but don't worry - we're not looking to do any serious touristy stuff.

We mostly just want to take a break from planes & airports (24 hours of it!)... go outside, grab a quick bite and drink somewhere with a river view and get straight back. We actually have over 5 hours between flights, so we won't be gone for more than an hour or two.

(And I'm with you on booking non-stop flights. We actually had one, but it was on Alitalia which is on the verge of bankruptsy, so we traded non-stop for non-drama.)
Sep 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM

i would have no problems leaving the CVG airport with a looong layover.it is VERY close to the newport side of river.

you could go to the revolving restaurant atop the radisson.. ( i thought the name had changed.. clarion, maybe?)

http://www.radisson.com/covingtonky

another friend of mine used to do her shopping south a few minutes at florence mall during layovers.(opposite direction)

turfway park used to have evening races. maybe that has changed.

in the same situation elsewhere i usually catch the nicest airport shuttle and go there to enjoy their grounds.. restaurant and/or sports' bar with t.v.

Sep 18th, 2008, 01:45 PM

I have been to Cincinnati, and I still think it's ridiculous to leave the airport during a layover. Again, what if you get stuck somewhere? It's just not worth the risk. But hey, it's not my time or money so go for it if you really feel you have to go see a brewery in Kentucky (that's not directed toward you Slangevar!! Go to the Crown Room and rest!)
Sep 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

No offense taken, skiergirl. We're not big brewery hoppers... we'd just like to get a bit of fresh air in between marathon flights.

But like I said, if we're at all worried about it, we'll just hole up in the Crown Room and I'll embarrass my boyfriend with some floor yoga.
Sep 18th, 2008, 08:25 PM
maj

Ok, another suggestion if you really want to leave. CVG is on I-275. Go east about 4 exits to Crestview Hills Towne Center. Plenty of places to eat -- the Pub is great if you want a beer -- and shop.

http://www.shopcrestviewhillstowncen...ategories.aspx

I commute between Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky and would get really nervous trying to get back to the airport from Newport or Florence at that time of day.

This may help:

http://www.cvgairport.com/Ground_Tra...c_Transit.html

Sorry if you've already seen this:
http://www.cvgairport.com/index.html

Sep 19th, 2008, 08:26 AM

I like the suggestion that SAnParis gave. While the Hofbrauhaus isn't quite on par with its main Munich location, its still fun and the food is decent.

I personally can't blame you for wanting to leave. If we have 6-7 hours for a layover, no way am I hanging out in the airport, especially when I'll be getting back on a plane for an overseas flight.

Best wishes,
Tracy
Sep 19th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tracy.

I'm normally happy to stay inside airports (going through security is such a pain these days), but we need air!
Sep 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM

The airport has a Gold Star Chili place if you want to sample Cincinnati style chile. Its a regional treat.
Sep 19th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

I saw a mention of the chili online and started to get excited until I remembered what chili does to me. As much as I love great chili, I think I'm going to have to put the passengers of my connecting flight first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO