Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! Stuck in Newark airport for 51/2 hour layover!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:42 AM
David

We are traveling to Quebec City this September but have this long layover at Newark airport. Is there anyplace close by to go to during this time?

We are completely unfamiliar with the area and would welcome suggestions on activities, retaurants,, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Davidcs

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:53 AM
xxx

Why don't you post this on the Canada board?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:11 AM
xx

Because the layover is in Newark, xxx. I'm afraid that these long layovers are becoming the norm and when you thinking about getting out of the airport getting a cab, getting somewhere and getting back in time to get through security and check back in for your next flight it doesn't seem worth it to me for the stress it adds. At least not in Newark, IMO.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:11 AM
tweedy

David, with the mess of traveling these days, I think I would just stay put and bring a good book or find a spot to watch the planes take off.

Check in has LONG lines at Newark, as most airports these days, and if your flight is late, the gap gets much smaller.

Not sure whether you can check your luggage through, but if you can, there is a wonderful science museum a 20 minute ride from the airport. You can catch a cab there, and call to have one pick you up and take you back to the airport. It's the Liberty Science Center.

Figure you will need to be back in line at least 2 hours before your flight

Have a great time.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:25 AM
cindy

From Newark airport, I believe there is a [free?] shuttle bus to the Jersey Gardens mall about a 10 minute drive away. Its is a giant "value"/outlet mall that also has a multiplex movie theater, food court and a couple or 'regular' chain restaurants.
Also, nearby (but I think you'd have to take a cab or a regular City bus) is a complex with an Ikea store, huge Toys R Us and , I think, a place called Red Rover (which looked like a sports/game/batting cage complex)
Though 5 1/2 hours seems like along time for a layover, once you leave the airport , you'll have to go through security checks when you come back in so you need to leave at least an hour for that. YOu don't really have that much time to wander off the airport grounds.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:35 AM
al

Yeah, there's a few places you COULD go, but nothing even remotely considered a must see, especially if you don't know the area. Why risk getting lost or stuck in traffic? I like tweedy's idea -- bring a good book, something lighthearted or funny, like a "Don't Stop The Carnival" by Herman Wouk.

Of course there's always the bar. Figure 5 hours, 2 beers per hour and you'll be feeling FINE for the last leg of the journey.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Scarlette

From what I've heard about Newark from my DH, I probably wouldn't leave the airport unless necessary. Its not exactly a tourist town. Bring a book, eat at the airport.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 06:54 PM
David

David,

I would suggest that you take a cab into The City. You might want to consider stopping for a meal in Little Italy and then go back to the airport. La Mela and IL Cortile are both very good. You may want to make reservations ahead of time.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:15 PM
njgirl

That would have to be a pretty fast cab to get to NYC, go sightseeing and back to the airport in 51/2 hours!LOL!
There are such long security lines at Newark, that it would not be worth it to leave the airport.
There are plenty of restaurants and places to buy books,magazines, etc.That is what you should do, just have a leisurely meal, relax and read, take a walk around the area of the airport that you can walk. Probably you can shop at the Duty Free shop
It is a shame, but there really is nothing else you can do in that amount of time.
What time of day will you be laying over?

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Arbee

Newark actually is an up and coming city which has an interesting stuff,an off the beaten path art museum with a planetarium, a lot of great Spanish/Portugese restaurants, the historic home of the Rheingold family (famous brewers)and a wonderful performing arts center. However, a 5 and 1/2 hour layover is really not enough time with traffic to explore any of these. I agree with the above posters, play it safe at the airport with a meal and a book.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Gretchen

Newark airport also has some pretty nice shopping.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 04:07 AM
x

5 1/2 hour layover gives you about 4 hours to do something since you would want to back at the airport a minimum of 1 1/2 hours to check in for your flight. It was suggested you go into NYC. You would have to allot at least 1 1/2 hour travel time leaving 2 1/2 hours to visit. Hardly worth the cost of taxi fare which would be close to $100. Another suggestion was the Science Center. THat trip by cab could take 40 minutes easily - depends on traffic and time of day. With the uincertainties of traffic you would be better off remaining at the airport.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Seamus

If you don't mind a bit of hustling and the time of ay is right, you can jump on the new AirTrain that gets you into midtown Manhattan in 30 minutes - faster and cheaper than a cab or bus. Do some strolling, shopping (window or otherwise) grab some legendary NYC street food (falafel, bagel, hot dog...)and then get back to Penn Station for the return trip. Do rememebr to allow sufficient time for clearing security.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Julie

As mentioned, with the new link via the monorail from the Newark Airport terminals to the airport train station, there would be time to go into New York City. You can take any NJ Transit train heading to New York from the airport train station. You get off at Penn Station, and can walk around the 34th Street area (e.g., Macy's, etc.), or head for Times Square if you want. Just make sure that you understand the schedule of NJ Transit trains leaving the city (there are several each hour that make the stop at the Newark airport station) so that you know what time you have to be back at Penn Station.

Since David is only connecting in Newark, his luggage should be checked through and he should already have his boarding pass, so he only needs to clear security when he returns to the airport. It does not take 1 1/2 hours to clear security there these days.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:55 AM
thereuare

With the new air-train you could make it into NYC and back, but that's not something i (personally) would feel comfortable doing with the time constraint.

When i first read your post, i immediately thought about the Iron Bound section of Newark, which has a plethora of Spanish/Portuguese restaurants which are quite good! Have a relaxing lunch/dinner of Paella, Lobster, etc along with some Sangria. The timing is just right to make it there, have a leisurely, relaxing lunch, and then get back to the airport with lots of time to spare in case security lines are long.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Jersey John

Take a taxi and check out the "World's Tallest Watersphere" in nearby Union, Route 22 eastbound. Cruise (or crawl) Route 22, the only highway on the planet with stores on the inside divider (from Union to Mountainside).

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Tony

Visit Jimmy Hoffa at the Meadowlands. He's dying to see you!!

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:34 PM
KJS

Depending on the time of day/day of week, I would definitely agree with going into NYC. Your 2 choices for transportation would be taxi (figure $55 each way) or train ($12 each way). Check out: http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/monorailframe.htm for information about the Airtrain.
If you are arriving/departing around rush hours, then the taxi is not a wise decision, as you may spend most of the time in traffic - can be very unpredictable. If the Airtrain schedule works, then take it into the city, with time to get a bite to eat, walk to Empire State Building; Times Square; Macy's and catch train back to the airport.
Since you are on a layover(i.e. no need to re-check in), you do not need to arrive at the airport 2 hours before your flight. I fly in and out of Newark 4 times every week and 90% of the time I wait less than 10 minutes to go through security (tip: if you are flying out of Terminal C (Continental), there are 3 security screening areas for that terminal. Everyone always flocks to the one in the middle(closest to the checkin counters, I guess), leaving the other 2 screening areas with no line...)
With the AirTrain option, I would plan to arrive at the airport about 70-75 minutes before my flight. That gives you 10 minutes to get to the security screening area and then an easy padding of 30-40 minutes to clear security before boarding the flight.

Personally, I spend so much time in airports that I use every chance I can to get out and see the area, even if it is only for 2 hours. In 2 weeks I have a 4 hour layover in Amsterdam on my way to South Africa... you can bet I'll be taking the train into Amsterdam for 2 hours of walking around, before catching the connecting flight.