Going to Orlando for business

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Orlando for business next month, and staying at Disney's Dolphin Resort. My question is do I have to buy park tickets to go to places like Downtown Disney, or Paradise Island? I am looking for something to do in the evenings, after my meetings are over. I hate to pay for a ticket, when I am just going to be able to use it for a couple of hours each day. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:09 AM

Downtown Disney does not require a ticket. It is mostly shops and restraunts, but if you want to see a show at Cirque do Solel for instance, obviously you should buy tickets ahead of time. Right next to Downtown Disney is Pleasure Island which you do need a ticket to get into. It is a bunch of nightclubs and outdoor stages. If you want something like that I would recommend City Walk at Universal studios. It is basically the same thing but cover charge is for each individual bar, so it can be much cheaper. And, if you really want to go low budget, you can get there before they start charging a cover and then stay for the night. We like going to Bob Marley's early, eating and staying to listen to music and dance. Can't remember prices, but their websites can probably help you there. Downtown Disney/Disney Marketplace/Pleasure Island have more to see. Oh, also all of the Disney hotels have a lot to see. Try Boardwalk, Animal Lodge, and Wilderness Lodge. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Just a random comment re the previous post:

Bob Marley must be doing 360s in his
grave knowing that his name has been Disney-ized.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are staying at the Dolphin, you are literally about a three minute stroll from Disney's Boardwalk. There are some shops, restaurants and bars there. There always seem to be some kind of "street entertainers" there too.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, for the information. You have been very helpful.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Keep in mind that I haven't been there in about 4 years, but if I remember correctly you can buy a ticket to Pleasure Island right where you enter. I think that it's $30.00 and that includes the cover charges to the bars. It may have changed, though.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:39 PM

J-999, etc., Bob Marley's estate was surely paid handsomely for the privilege of Universal using his name.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:08 PM
emd

Yes, and Jimmy BUffet is doing pretty well w/his name too. His Maragartiville Island shrimp sells well at my local grocery store, and I get emails from Margaritaville at City Walk.
I like the Dolphin/Swan property. We had a little balcony, nice to sit out on. If you decide to spring for a ticket, you could do an evening at Epcot easily, the boat from the Dolphin takes you there. Nice dinner in one of the countries, stroll the countries and see some shows, watch the Illuminations and fireworks show. Either way, there or Boardwalk, Pleasure Island and Disney Marketplace- you're going to have fun.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Just for the record, Bob Marley and Jimmy Buffett have nothing to do with Disney, their restaurants are located at Universal's City Walk.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:21 PM
emd

Yes, and Citygirl mentioned Marley in conjunction w/Citywalk as I did w/Jimmey B's.