Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Business trip alone to Disney. Any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to a conference at the Hilton Disney this month and unfortunately, Mr. Olivia can't join me. So what to do? I don't want to waste my time in a hotel room, which I believe is across the street from Downtown Disney. What can I do solo on a Friday evening and Saturday afternoon. That's my only free time. Thanks for any suggestions!

Olivia
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:15 AM

Do you want to stay on Disney? Will you have a car?
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Downtown Disney has alot of shopping and restaurants and is definately worth spending a few hours. You can also go to the Boardwalk where there are shops, restaurants and bars-they have a particularly good dueling piano bar there. Also, if you want to buy a one-day park pass, I'd pick Epcot where you can wander the World Showcase and have lots of eating and shopping options-it's also great for people watching.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

I won't have a car. I'm staying at the Hilton, so I think that's close to everything. I'll check and see about the cost of a one-day park pass for Saturday afternoon. Any other must-see's at Epcot?
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:22 AM

I also had a conference in Orlando several years ago - solo- and decided to spend my free day at Epcot. We've been to disney numerous times and for a single day by myself, Epcot was great. I wandered, sat and watched people, went to the shows, saw the parade, looked at every exhibit. It was not nearly as fun alone, I'll grant you as there is nobody to talk with about the stuff you're seeing but I think this is a best place alone rather than Magic Kingdom, Disney Studios or Animal Kingdom. You can go to Downtown Disney on Friday night and shop, see the various performers from high school groups ( this is Disney Magic Music time) and have dinner. Enjoy!
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Must see's at Epcot: the parade, laser light show at night, Films on Canada, France and China. Browse through UK with all the street performers - also in France and Italy. You'll see Chinese acrobats performing in (of course) China. See the American Exhibit and film - often they have a choral group performing before the show. Wonders of Life - Cranium Command, Body Wars, Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, GM Test Track. For 'downtime' see the two large pavillions as you enter or leave - i think they are called the imaginairums. Great food at the German biergarten or france (downstairs restaurant there) - try the Rose and Crown in UK if you can get a seat on the patio late enough to see the laser show from there. and, don't miss a beaver tail from Canada...our favorite: maple with chocolate drizzles
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody! Now I won't be wandering around aimlessly! I haven't been to Disney since I was 4, so I'm sure there have been many changes since my last visit!
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM
GoTravel

Agree with Epcot for one day visit. It caters to a more adult group in the World Showcase.

One day park pass is $55.

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 05:05 PM

If you like that type of show, you may try CIRQUE DU SOLEIL at Disneydowntown for Friday evening..
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 05:25 AM

I agree that you should see LaNouba (Cirque du Soleil). It is a fabulous show - we've seen it twice.

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:13 AM

There is a plethora of fine spas in the area, and if I were there alone, I'd be heading for some sort of treat/treatment! Also, if you can be at the Grand Floridian during tea time, it's a wonderful event!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:58 AM

As with the other posters, can highly recommend the Cirque de Soleil in Downtown Disney. I was unexpectedly solo due to a roommate fiasco, but the hotel recommended it and got me a great seat. It was awesome! Worth the price, which I think at the time was $79.

If you go to Epcot, having a margarita from Mexico while watching the laser show is also a fun time.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:11 AM
emd

Just FYI since I have been looking into spas for an upcoming trip myself, I have read some no so good things lately about the spa at Grand Floridian, which used to be pretty good (I think some of the reviews I read might have been on this forum.) However, they did get into the top 10 Spa's per votes by readers of the CitySearch (www.orlando.citysearch.com/best/results/8552), as did the Animal Kingdon Lodge spa. Canyon Ranch SpaClub at the Gaylord Palms got #1 both from the readers and the editorial staff.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:27 AM
emd

BTW, I went back and checked and it was tripadvisor.com that had the not so good recent reviews (actually they were awful)of Grand Floridian spa.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:55 AM

There is a new spa opening at Saratoga Springs, the new resort right next to downtown Disney (used to be the Disney Institute)which is supposed to be really nice and would be walking distance from your hotel.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:34 AM
emd

swalter, do you have info on when it is opening- I thought it wasn't opening til May.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:47 AM

I know the resort is opening in May but I heard the spa is opened (actually never closed from when it was Disney Institute). You may want to call the 407-wdisney number and check.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 12:38 PM

For Friday night:
How about seeing a movie? There's a huge 24 theater AMC in Downtown Disney. If that's not your thing, House of Blues has concerts some nights. Maybe they'll have a group you like. I'm sure there's a web site with concert listings. That is also in Downtown Disney. If you like playing arcade games DisneyQuest is there. It's a 5 story arcade. One price and play as much as you like. Cirque is great too. Oh, and don't forget Pleasure Island. You can do Comedy Warehouse, Adventurers Club and Jazz Club w/o feeling too alone. If you want low key, mosey around the shops at Downtown Disney making sure to stop at Ghiradelli for a free sample.

For your Saturday:
I would do Epcot too. It's great to do alone.

Have a great trip!
~Allison