Glacier National Park-road trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reviewing more info over the weekend, I have come up with the following plan - does this look OK?
Sat: Billings to Helena (hotel to be determined)
Sun: Helena to Missoula (Goldsmith's B&B)
Mon: Missoula to Whitefish (Hidden Moose Lodge)
Tue: Whitefish to Essex (Izaak Walton Inn)
Wed: Essex to Waterton (Waterton Glacier Suites)
Thur: Waterton to Great Falls (lodging to be determined)
Fri: Great Falls to Billings (Josephine B&B).

Does this look do-able? Any suggestions on the lodging??
Thanks for your help
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:54 PM

What's the hurry Donna? There are great things to do and see in all of those places. Are you traveling with a gaggle of kids?
Dan
familyroadtrippers.blogspot.com
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

No kids - but we only have a week and we like to see new things every day. Had to fly into Billings because we got a great airfare. Is there something we should cut out? What would you cut. Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:25 AM

I would spend more time in Glacier. Are you a hiker? There are great hikes there, but some of them are a bit longer (meaning 4-10 miles, but you could go longer than that). There are a few short good ones, but in my opinion, the really great hikes are a bit longer than a mile or two.

And maybe stay closer to the park? Or eliminate Waterton and spend more time in Montana?

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

We like short hikes (under 5 miles) and like our creature comforts - that is why I am avoiding staying in the park if possible - TA has not been kind to the parks around GNP. I have never been to Canada and wanted to take advantage of being so close - I know that is silly Is Waterton not worth the extra drive time? If not, then we can scratch that and see something else - where would you stay 2 days?
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Have you researched the St. Mary Lodge & Resort? I learned about it on this board. I've been researching a trip to Glacier off and on & I have also read the horrible reviews about the park lodging. This place seems like it might be a good option.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

It appears from the map that Izaak Walton Inn is also in the park, or very close, and it got better reviews and the rooms just look better. For the difference in money, a nice, clean, breakfast included B&B is better than "old and plain" in the park any day. And that seems to be the consensus on TA. Going to Yellowstone was easy - Xanterra is doing a good job in the park. But Glacier Park, Inc. doesn't appear to be up to the job. Anyone have an comments or suggestions?
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Missoula, Whitefish and Helena are perfectly nice towns, but they aren't worth seeing over time in Glacier. If you just want to drive around and look at stuff out the car window, your trip is perfect. If you actually want to get out of the car and do something in Glacier, cut out some of those towns.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM

We stayed in St. Mary Resort and it was nice.

A nice 4 mile hike in Glacier is to Avalanche Lake. The lakeshore of St. Mary is also a pretty hike.

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

We don't just want to look at stuff through the window, but we do not like to fish, or camp, or take all day hikes into the woods - I am in shape for my late 40s, but not in that good of shape We like to wander around a town, check out historic areas, shops, etc. We very much enjoyed Yellowstone with the geysers, animals, and beautiful mountains, lakes, and falls. We loved picnicing and avoiding the crowds at the food stations. We loved the quiet evenings without TV or phones. So we are not tied to technology, only a comfortable bed (40 remember). The St. Mary Lodge rooms look dated and dark - and they don't give you a full picture which seems suspicious. I don't mind paying over $100 for a room, but not when the room is worth $50 and they have you because they are the only game in town.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:57 PM

Donna - we stayed in the "newer" section of the Lodge and the rooms were nice.

We also stayed one night near Lake McDonald, forget the place. Was nothin to write home about. We also stayed in the Lake McDonald Lodge on a prior visit. Would not recommend. The rooms were very small, old and noisy.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM

I go to Missoula frequently on business. The airfare is extremely high, so I usually take an alternate route: fly Southwest into Spokane and drive over to Missoula from there. It's a fantastic drive. If you want to bypass Missoula and just head on up to Glacier, you can cut over onto Rt 135 at Superior, pick up Rt 200 to Ravali (stop at the National Bison Range) and then 93 north through Saint Ignatius (go see the Mission) and on up to Whitefish. Go up the east side of Flathead lake less traffic, faster drive, great scenery and cherry orchards if you get there in season, and then you can drive down the west side on the way back if you want to.
(I guess that's a polite way of saying that I would skip Billings, Helena and Great Falls, save it for another trip).

Bigfork and Whitefish are worth a couple of days and a night out on the town. Glacier is worth a couple of days and nights as well. There are lots of hiking opportunities there, although most of my hiking in Glacier has been extended backbacking, not day hikes.

When in Glacier, please remember though that there are plenty of Grizzly bears in Glacier and they don't negotiate well. They pretty much take what they want.

Dan
familyroadtrippers.blogspot.com
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Karens, where would you recommend staying in or around Glacier. Is the Great Bear Lodge at St. Mary's Resort considered the newer lodge? The website pictures don't look dark and dated - at least to me.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the new routes to consider - I will get out my maps and see how taking out those cities will work. I thought Missoula was a not to miss, but I also liked the descriptions of Bigfork and Whitefish. Also, I came across Belton Chalets - how is this property and would it be a good base for the park?
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Yes - I'm pretty sure it was the Great Bear Lodge. I remember a picture of a bear, so that has to be it.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 01:44 PM

I like both Missoula and Whitefish, and I think you could find quite a bit to do in both towns if you wanted to spend some more time in each town.

If you want to stay in Whitefish, check out the Garden Wall Inn and Cottonwood Hill Farm Bed and Breakfast. I've stayed at both, and I really liked them (great beds, sheets, three course breakfasts, afternoon wine, etc.).

I prefer the Garden Wall Inn for location (right in town). The Cottonwood Hill Farm Inn is about five miles out of Whitefish. Tupeloe Grill is a great place for dinner in Whitefish and so is Truby's. There is also fun shopping in Whitefish and Bigfork.

In Missoula, I haven't stayed at Goldsmith's, but it's in a great location. YOu can walk downtown, and you're very near the river and the University.

Favorite restuarants in Missoula: Hob Nob for lunch or breakfast. Chocolat for great hot chocolate and desserts. Big Dipper Ice Cream for homemade ice cream. Iron Horse for drinks and a hamburger. Pearl Restuarant for a somewhat French menu with Montana ingredients. Red Bird for the best, fancy meal in Missoula. There's also a wood fired pizza place downtown that recently changed names (can't remember the new name); it's BYOB so you can pick up a bottle of wine or a six pack of beer at Liquid Planet or Wardens and bring it to dinner.

All of these restuarants are within walking distance of your B&B. Missoula also has a great Smokejumper's Museum and it's home to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation which just recently opened up in their new new building.

I live in Great Falls, and it's a nice town, too. So is Helena; I have a good B&B recommendation for Helena, but again I have to look up the name.

But I have to admit that I might spend more time in Missoula and Whitefish and Glacier. Of course, you'd see a lot more of Montana if you spent some time in Great Falls on your way back to Billings. Great Falls and Billings have a much different feel to them than Whitefish, Missoula or Glacier.

Good luck with your planning!
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Kueriff - thanks for the recommendations - Any B&B suggestions for Great Falls will be appreciated. So it seems I should forget Waterton and concentrate my stay for one more day in GNP then stop in Great Falls to break up the return trip. The picture I saw for the St. Mary's room is on the Glacier, Inc. website, but if the newer section is nice then that may be OK. Is St. Mary's nicer than Izaak Walton Inn? And what about Belton Chalets - anyone stay there?
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

After reworking the trip with your helpful suggestions, here is the new trip:

Sat: Fly into Billings (cheap airfare), stay in Helena or some other suggested place within 4 hours of the Billings airport.
Sun: Drive to Missoula (Goldsmith's B&B)
Mon: Whitefish (Hidden Moose Lodge or Garden Wall Inn)
Tue: Essex (Izaak Walton Inn)
Wed: St. Mary (Great Bear Lodge - Looks the best)
Thur: Great Falls (Josephine B&B)
Fri: back to Billings flying out Sat.

Does this look like a good plan? I know it is important to researve the park locations as soon as possible.
Thanks again for the help.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:59 AM

For Helena, check out the Sanders Bed and Breakfast (www.sandersbb.com). Husband and I stayed there last September. We really liked the owners and the neighborhood and our room.

Food in Helena: On Broadway, Mediterranean Grill, and the bakery that is next door to the Mediterranean Grill. Bert and Ernies for beer and burgers. These are all close to the Sanders B&B.

Helena also has a nice downtown, and like Missoula, it has a hand carved carousel downtown.

I spent Saturday in Helena with husband and daughter. We rode the carousel, checked out the used bookstore and yarn shop downtown, picked up lunch and dessert at the bakery, and then we picked up more dessert -- chocolates -- from The Parrot. The Parrot is a candy store that has been in operation under the same family for decades.

Other things to do in Helena: Gates of the Mountain tour, check out the Archie Bray Museum.

I don't have a good suggestion for a b&b in Great Falls. We live here and haven't stayed at any of the places.

As for food: The Breaks (near downtown) for good food and nice atmosphere. MacKenzie River Pizza -- it's on the river and it's a Montana chain. They have great pizza and salads. And a very local suggestion: The 3-D in Black Eagle for italian. It's an old supper club in an old, run down neighborhood of Great Falls.

You haven't asked about beer, but MT has some great local brews you should try. My favorite is Moose Drool made by Big Sky Brewing Co. in Missoula. It's available all over the Pacific Northwest. Also check out Big Sky's Summer Honey. While in Great Falls try Belt Brewing Co.'s Pig's Ass Porter and their Beltian White. Helena has a brewing company, too and some people really like their Lewis and Clark Lager. I don't, but maybe you will.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Not a beer drinker myself, but my husband is quite an expert and will love these suggestions - thank you so much. Sanders B&B looks great and I will contact them for a room. We have only driven through southern Montana and can't wait to see more of the state, the pictures are beautiful-