7 days in Glacier National Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to airline times, we're staying at the beginnin and end of the trip in Kalispell, then 3 days at Lake McDonald Lodge and 2 at St.Mary Lodge? What is better for a day trip- going to Many Glacier, going to Waterton or going to Two medicine Lake Area. We have a car and prefer easy hikes.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:12 AM

I can't answer your specific question, but I can tell you that I was pleased somebody at this forum directed me to stay at Many Glaciers and that it would be a mistake to pass up a chance to visit Waterton Lakes in Alberta.

HTTY
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM

We found that 3 days on the western side of the park was too many, so we did a day trip to the National Bison Range near Moises. It was great driving amongst the herds and there are a couple places where you can get out of the car for easy hikes. There's also a good visitor's center and a really nice picnic area.
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

That sounds wonderful. Is that a day trip? How many hours is the drive? I was thinking that I made a mistake and should have done it 2 days in Lake McDonald and 3 on the east side, now this should fill in the gap. Thanks.
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 05:02 AM

IMO, first priority is Many Glacier and 2nd is Waterton. From the east side, you should be able to do both. You wouldn't have time to hike at Many Glacier (one of the best starting points for hikes in the park) but you could visit the lodge.

Waterton is a small town and doesn't take long to visit but is well worth the drive. Just be sure to have your passports. Drive a few miles north of Waterton to the Crandall Mountain campground area. We nearly always see bears eating berries along the road.
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 06:59 AM

We were based in West Glacier and it took us just over 2 hours to drive to Moiese (excuse my typo on the first posting). The drive takes you by Flathead Lake which is quite scenic.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 12:31 PM

The lake Macdonald area is home to some nice easy trails like the Cedars a few hours is all you need. At Logan pass, the Hidden Lake trail is a must, very easy to the overlook, which is where 95% of the "hikers" go, however it is worth the extra effort to go all the way to the lake side the trail there terminates at the actual outlet of Hidden Lake ( pit toilet there as well) an hour an a half in and out, half a day if you go all the way to lake side. Also From Logan pass opposite the visitor center is the Highline Trail very easy to walk and will take you out to Granite Park Chalet there is a short but very steep side trail to overlook a glacier ( name of which escapes me at this moment) the hike to Granite Park Chalet is a day hike. On the eastern side the easiest trail is the Saint Mary's Falls trail very easy and short, allow an hour in and out and that's excessive. Many Glacier is a must on the eastern side, there are lots of options, my favorite is the Ptarmigan Tunnel trail absolutely breathtaking though the hike is a bit strenuous it is an all day affair for me as slow and out of shape as I am/was/will be.
West Glacier has more to do commercially, St Mary is ok but slightly less than a one horse town and the horse left. Lunch or dinner at Many Glacier is good as is at the inn in St Mary.
If you like great jerky hit the jerky factory in Columbia.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 02:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Pitgnarf- If you have questions about Glacier start a new thread and ask them. I think the OP's ship sailed to Glacier about nine months ago.