girls' weekend: spring in chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister, sis-in-law, and I are in much need of a girls-only weekend -- between the three of us we have six children under four -- and we decided to do a three-day weekend in Chicago. I'm looking for some advice on some fun things to do, preferably things that you can only do without kids in tow.

Because we all operate on single incomes, we are trying to do this trip with some frugality. I'll be using my husband's Marriott points for our hotel, and we are driving there. We've all been to Chicago several times, so we are not interested in the touristy stuff like Navy Pier. Our date is tentative for March.

We love the art museums, shopping, and girly things (I know that is vague, but we all have boys, so this is a huge opportunity to do some fun girly things without our testosterone-heavy families). I was also hoping to find a fun, not-so-meat-market-y club for 30-something married moms (like there is such a thing, but you get the gist). We also want to get our nails done, perhaps have tea somewhere, and look in used book stores.

Any suggestions???
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Hi Shevivor,

You may want to look in to high tea at the Drake Hotel - excellent. For dinner, you may want to try The Red Rooster (2100 N. Halsted)- this is a "hidden Chicago" secret for wonderful, affordable French food. The restaurant is tiny and great for a "girls night out." Also, Geja's (340 W. Armitage) is a fondue restaurant that is considered one of the more romantic restaurants in Chicago because of its booths and lighting, but I think it's a wonderful place for women who enjoy wine and conversation.

Aside from food, there's a new Richard Greenberg play (a comedy) at Steppenwolf theater called "The Well Appointed Room" which stars some of the best stage actors ANYWHERE and tickets can be purchased for $20 day-of the show. Or free if you and your friends volunteer to usher ahead of time. (This will be a hot ticket in Chicago if you're here in early March.)

I always recommend Improv Olympic (3541 N. Clark) instead of Second City for their Sat. nite 'Baby Wants Candy' (around $12) -- the improvisors are so smart and funny and always make me laugh, as opposed to the scripted sketch comedy of Second City, which I'm not a fan of. The club serves drinks and draws people of all ages. There's also a bar right next door (Bar Louie) which isn't sleazy.

As for shopping, Armitage Avenue is great (Lori's shoes, L'Occitane, Benetton, several other boutiques) and if you saunter north on Halsted (beginning at Armitage - 1800 North), there's lots of shops all the way up to Fullerton-2400 North).

There's lots of nail salons, but as I don't go to them often, I'll leave that for others to recommend. And the clubs, I'm not too useful there, either.

Used books: I like Bookworks at 3444 N. Clark which will put you in the thick of all those restaurants between 3200-4000 N. Clark).

Well, I hope some of my suggestions are of interest. Have fun planning!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Check out shopping in Lincoln Park as Chigal mentioned and in the Bucktown/Wicker Park area. There are some great, unique shops. Here's a good list of the shops (from the NY TImes of all places) http://travel2.nytimes.com/top/featu...cyqdsb/2K7nCSg

My favorites are Porte Rouge, Lille and Findables (Findables is on Armitage, the rest in Bucktown.)
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:21 PM

King Tut will be at the Field Museum depending on when you want to go. I agree with the Palmer House for tea. The Russian Tea time is nice. Check out www.metromix.com . They have great listings for everything you would want to do in the city and burbs. Geja's is nice, but very expensive. Mario Tricco's at 900 N. michigan in the Bloomingdale building is great for nails(among other things), and is a very short walk to the Palmer House if you wanted to tie it in with Tea.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:54 PM

When I've met my girlfriends in Chicago we'd go for tea at The Four Seasons (though the other tea suggestions are quite good). I also love the Russian Tea Room and lunch at Heaven on Seven. Its been a few years since I last made it back to Chicago though so I can't add much more. For entertainment, you might consider one of the city's jazz clubs - there are many to choose from and better sources than I.