Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago trip 9/18-23 - LOCAL'S ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

Be forewarned... the misses and I are headed to your city in just a few days! (LOL)

But seriously, we've done all of our research that we could... but of course that tends to lend itself to all of the "touristy" things/places. Well, we're wondering what/where Chicago residents like to do/go!?!?!

Any advice on any "off the beaten path"/"items you'll never find in a tour guide" would be GREATLY appreciated!

Batten down the hatches... we'll be in town soon!!!

Thanks,

~Bob
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Get theatre tickets at the half-price booth (www.hottix.org)

Hang out at Jazz Showcase, Green Mill or Redhead Piano Bar. (metromix.com)

Try Thai, Korean, Middle Eastern, Ethiopian, South American or any other cuisine that you can't get at home.

Go for a morning walk at the Botanic Garden or along the lakefront.

"These are a few of my favorite things...."

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 09:25 AM

Bob -

Make sure to eat at Catch 35 off of Michigan Avenue for some great seafood. Go shopping on Michigan Avenue. Explore the Botanical Garden in Highland Park (about 30 minutes north of the city or easily accessible by Metra train). You can try riding a Segway 2000 down by the museum campus, and while your there visit the Field, Adler, and the other museums. But most of all have fun.

The City of Chicago also has a website that lists all of the local fairs/festivals, although I am not sure how many more will be going on now that school is back in (www.chicagoevents.com).
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Oh! I miss home now. I live outside London now, but no place is better than Chicago.

I used to eat out often. Favorite places: Big Bowl (Asian), Maggiano's (Italian), Giordano's (Pizza!), and though Cheesecake Factory is touristy I love it. A 24-hour joint with great cheap food is Tempo. Head to Chinatown for some really awesome food...try Penang.

As for things to do, have a cocktail on the 94th floor of the John Hancock building, stroll along Lake Michigan, visit the Chicago Historical Society, have smores at a Cosi Cafe and appreciate all the tall buildings. Being away from home I really appreciate Chicago's architecture now. If you can do, take the Chicago Architectural cruise or walk. Have a blast!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi all!

Thanks for the great tips already!!!

Chicgal... sorry for not posting the "dirt", but we're (*gulp*) in our early 30's!

Our interests are varied... we're pretty much open for anything!

As for budget... even though we accountants are known for being cheap (especially by our wives) the way I see it is that we get one (maybe two if we're lucky) vacation(s) a year... I'm not going to miss something good that I may never have a chance to see just to save a few dollars!!!

Thanks again,

~Bob
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 11:12 AM
JJ5

On the 18th at 6:05 pm Central Time there is a game between the White Sox and Detroit Tigers at the Cell, with fireworks afterwards. You could take a train from downtown and be within a block when you get off. (RED LINE)35th & Shields. Lots of people going back later also, so it should be find- just follow the crowd. Tickets will be available at the ticket windows. It's not touristy and over-crowded like many areas of downtown right now. Just make sure you take the train going North coming back. It's a nice mix. Met one of the NASCAR drivers (seat right next to me) last month in for an upcoming race- the next day.

Botanical Garden, I think, is in Glencoe. It is really worth the drive or transport. Brookfield Zoo is huge and off the beaten track too. It costs, but has a terrific Ape House and the Meerkats are worth it alone.

This is a big tourist season and lots of the places you will go to are way too packed. Saying that, you still might
visit the Art Institute, and give it at least 3 or 4 hours.

Chicgal's suggestions are always good, and besides these she'll have a lot of others archieved in the search mode.

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

WOW... YOU GUYS ARE QUICK!!!

And GOOD... thanks for the advice everyone! If you ever visit CT (or New York City) drop me a line and hopefully I can help you out as much as you've helped me!!!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Hi Bob, just wanted to add, if you're heading down to the Museum of Science & Industry or Hyde Park, you can take bus #10, 6, or 2, or Metra. All are safe options.

The Celtic festival is lots of fun!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 12:43 PM

As an out-of-towner, Bob, we had no problem taking the #10 bus to the Museum of Science and Industry - which, btw, is a great place to visit.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 06:35 PM

The suggestion regarding theater tickets was a good one. I especially recommend the current play "The Merry Wives of Windsor" at the Chicago Shakespearean Theater. You will split laughing and, I swear, you will understand everything! The theater is located at Navy Pier which is a fun destination in itself downtown. The view of the city is gorgeous. There are lots of restaurants and even a Ferris Wheel to ride which is fun when the weather allows.
Also, I second(third) the Chicago Architectural Boat Tour. It's entertaining and gives a view of the city you can only get from the Chicago River. You will love it here. Welcome!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 09:23 PM

For an up-close look at some terrific Chicago neighborhoods, consider a walk through Old Town or the Gold Coast.(Either, very residential and interesting, stroll could be easily combined with an amble from the Chicago Historical Society, a sometimes overlooked "gem" of a museum at the south edge of Lincoln Park)

Old Town: Just west of the museum, follow the streets of Orleans, Lincoln Park West, Menomonee and Eugenie for a look at wonderful early 1900s architecture (and updating). Fine refreshments/etc to be found along NOrth Avenue or at Sedgwich & Eugenie - Twin Anchors ("No dancing on the tables"; Sinatra's favorite ribs and a darned good burger).

or...the "Gold Coast" -- from the Historical Society at North Avenue..head south along State Pkwy, or Astor St...for a look at the lifestyles of the upper crust - amazing, isn't it, how they never draw their drapes?....an easy four-block walk (from North Avenue, which also has an array of choices) will have you at Division St., and the apex of the Rush St. area with a wealth of drinking/dining choices.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 06:30 AM
JJ5

Thanks, arjay. It was not my thread but I think I will try out those locations.

As a life-long (and a long life) South sider, I don't think I've ever been just there. So many different neighborhoods, and so much is Chicago. It's so BIG- in every way.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 06:45 AM

Trying this again.....

These are some of my favorite things outside the tourist zone:

Pullman-this is a well preserved section of Chicago that was George Pullman's planned industrial community, you can reach this area of Chicago by Metra train, the architecture is beautiful and the history quite interesting. Pullman is safe, the surrounding area a little rough
www.pullmanil.org

Prairie Avenue-at one time one of the most fashionable areas in Chicago, there are several of the old mansions remaining and you can also see the oldest house in Chicago (Clarke House) and visit the Glessner House

Lincoln Square-Lincoln Avenue from about Lawrence to Montrose is filled with good restaurants and shops including the Chicago Brauhaus for German and Simplon Orient Express fro Serbian

Hyde Park-in addition to the Museum of S&I, you can visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House, the Fountain of Time Statue (don't go any further west than that though), walk around the University of Chicago campus, check out some of the mansions on Woodlawn (near the Robie House). Hyde Park is safe as it's policed by the U of C police and the Chicago Police, some of the surrounding neighborhoods like Washington Park can be rough.

Garfield Park-the conservatory over in Garfield Park is very nice and is free. You can safely take the CTA there but don't wander too far from the conservatory as this is a rough neighborhood

Graceland Cemetery-Clark & Irving Park, designed as a garden cemetery where people could visit the dead in a park-like setting. Many famous Chicagoans are buried here-George Pullman, Marshall Field, Phillip Armour,Daniel Burnham, Louis Sullivan and Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe. http://www.graveyards.com/graceland/

Chinatown-go have a dim sum lunch and check out the stores on Wentworth

If you are reluctant to visit these places on your own, you could look into the Chicago Greeter program, a free service that takes folks out into the neighborhood www.chicagogreeter.com

Or yu can take a look and see what the Architecture Foundation offers while you are here www.architecture.org

Closer to downtown, the Terra Museum of American Art on Michigan Avenue (closing in October) is right in the heart of the shopping district.

And you must stop by the Cultural Center at Washington and Michigan Ave. It's a beautiful building, be sure to check out the Tiffany glass dome on the 3rd floor, it houses one of the tourist info centers and there are many free cultural performances there during the week.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:17 PM

I didn't really get to food in my previous post (I was having a heck of a time getting it to post) but Chicago has great food in a wide range of budgets. I tend to stay away from the higher priced places but today I tried Naha for lunch and it's much more affordable midday than at dinner, entrees run $10-20 for lunch, double that for dinner. So if you want to try some of the nicer joints in town, see if they are open for lunch.

A few more ideas for chow:

Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza, just as good as Uno's or Gino's and less of a wait. Or try the stuffed pizza at Edwardo's or Giordano's

Greektown-reasonably priced, try Greek Islands or if you like seafood, Santorini

Turkish food-two good places, one in Andersonville called Turkish Cuisine and Bakery and the other in Lakeview, Ala Turka, both are excellent.

Hungarian-Paprikash on Diversey

Armenian-Sayat Nova on Ohio (near Michigan Avenue)

Cajun-the locals go to the original Heaven on Seven on Wabash, only open for lunch most days (right across from the Marshall Field's on State)

Sandwiches-Perry's on Franklin in the loop serves up huge sandwiches, easily enough for 2 people

Italian-some folks swear by the Heart of Italy neighborhood but I still like the original Rosebud on Taylor St. (Little Italy) the best

Steaks-the heavy hitters such as Morton's or Gibson's can make a big dent in your wallet, I love the horseradish crusted filet at Wildfire and it's a bit more reasonable than the others.

Tapas-Cafe Iberico on LaSalle is my favorite, go for lunch and you won't have to wait, go on Friday or Saturday night and expect to be there for a few hours.

French bistro food-a coworker said she really enjoyed Kiki's Bistro on Franklin, I like Mon Ami Gabi up near the Lincoln Park zoo
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:30 PM

Kristi, I was just at Iberico last night and let me tell you... it was fun. Drank to all my friends everywhere. Many glasses of red sangria. Every now and then, I just have to get my tapas fix.

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 04:45 AM

I think Iberico is the best I've tried in Chicago, better than Cafe Ba Ba Reeba which is inconsistent or Emilio's. There's a new place on Weed St. called Sangria that I haven't tried, it seems to be hot and trendy at the moment. Actually small plates seem to be hot at the moment, a friend told me that he really enjoyed Avec on Randolph which features small plates.

One more place that I forgot yesterday, on Sunday morning there is a street market on Canal and Roosevelt (the new Maxwell Street market). The stuff they sell is mostly junk or household goods but you can pick up very cheap souvenirs (tshirts, baseball caps) and some of the best authentic Mexican food in the city. If you go, see if you can find the churro stand, delicious fresh vanilla and strawberry filled ones.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:03 AM

All of the above are great suggestions but to add more to the mix, there is the Wine Crush in Old Town this weekend-wine tasting, food, music. Haven't been before (this is only the 2nd year) but we're going to try it out. Also we ate at the Park Grille in Millenium Park the other night-great setting and the Park is phenomenal. Don't miss it or the families around the world photo exhibit there.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:06 AM

P.S. Wine Crush is Sat. only...I just noticed that.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 08:12 AM

Great thread with lots of info.

ttt
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:30 AM
JJ5

Thanks, swalter518 for the head's up on Sat. night. Maybe I can get some interest by me to go.

I think we might live very close to one another, although I'm sure you know downtown as it is now, a whole lot more than I do. And chicgal and Kristi are real experts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -