Chicago girls weekend, activites and restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Chicago Sept 30 through Oct 2 with 4 college friends, all in our late 40's. We picked the location because it's central and have nothing planned besides seeing Wicked. Any ideas on how best to see the City? Any fun tours? Other ideas of what to do? Want to spend minimal time shopping, but where should we go? Anywhere with unique shops instead of stores we can all to at home? Also would like restaurant suggestions. Looking for good food in a casual or upscale/casual setting, something unique to Chicago if possible. We're staying at the Holiday Inn near Navy Pier. Anything to see around there? Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:27 PM

Go to Michigan Avenue for your fill of upscale shopping. If you want deals, head to the intersection of State Street and Washington Avenue to check out Nordstrom Rack. Or head up to Wells Street or Armitage Avenue for a lot of cafes and boutique-type stores.

You'll have a lot of sights within walking distance. The Art Museum is wonderful, and Millenium Park is right next to that. A cab ride away is the Peggy Notebaert nature museum where there's a fun room with butterflies fluttering about. Also, don't miss the architecture boat tour that leaves from Navy Pier.

For going out, try the Signature Room Lounge at the top of the Handcock Tower. I'd only go there for drinks. The food is quite overpriced, IMO. Or you could try Sugar, a dessert bar just north of the river. Sugar's interior design is said to be inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Sushi Samba on Wells is fun for dinner and/or drinks.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:32 PM

The art Institute is running a great Toulouse-Lautrec exhibit through Oct. 10 if that interests you. For a fun restaurant-check out Cafe Iberico for great tapas and sangria. For more unique shops, try Bucktown/Wicker Park neighborhoods or the Halstead/Armitage area in Lincoln Park.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 01:46 PM

I'll second swalter518's shopping recommendation and provide a couple links for more info:

http://www.urbanstyle.net/neighborho...rk/default.asp (click on other neighborhoods also)

http://tinyurl.com/c5cm7 (Chicago Tribune article on Wicker Park shopping)

I wouldn't bother with Michigan Ave. other than the bit you'll get walking around near your hotel as it's mostly stores you can get at home - Gap, Eddie Bauer, etc. There is a nice Crate & Barrel store there, though, if that appeals to you. The Marshall Fields on State Street is nice - very large, and check out the Tiffany ceiling. Go to the 5th floor for great close-up views. While there, you might like to check out H&M also on State, though it is geared to the younger crowd.

Your hotel is pretty centrally located, so that will be fine. Check out the Destinations area at the top of this page for more on Chicago, and maybe get a guidebook or two from your library. Chicago has lots to offer, and it pays to familiarize yourself with the city before you arrive.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 10:16 PM

I agree with swalter's rec of Cafe Iberico. It's excellent. I also agree that Michigan Avenue can be a yawn. But it is very close to you and it is a classic Chicago tourist stop. That may be a very good reason *not* to go there though. Mich. Ave can be quite crowded on weekends during the day. It's always a nice place to walk around and people watch though.

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:55 AM

Michigan Ave is like 5th ave in terms of those types of major shops that you see in all major cities. The unique, funkier shops are in Bucktown, Lincoln Park (Armitage as someone suggested). Its almost impossible to visit Chicago without walking up and down Michigan ave so even if you dont shop, you will be on it at some point for drinks or dinner. Its fun.

I HIGHLY Highly recommend the architectural boat tours of chicago. They take you along the Chicago river and lakefront and give you great history of Chicago. They are only about an hour.
Chicagotours.com or Chicagoline.com

Sushi Samba is a one and only for drinks or dinner. I recommend that for sure.

Dont eat at Navy Pier - touristy junk and best only if you have kids with you.

Sounds corny but the Lincoln Park Zoo is fantastic, free, and in the middle of downtown.

The Art Institute is amazing and you could walk there through Millenium Park which is our new modern park.

You could go to the Chocolate Bar at the Penisula Hotel on N. Michigan for unique experience.

Restaurants
North Pond Cafe in Lincoln Park
Bistro 110 off Michigan Ave
Topo Gigio in Old Town
Mon Ami Gabi Lincoln Park
West Loop - Marche, Vivo = take a cab. This is the area where Oprah's studio is.

Good Website
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com

Thats all for now. It should be beautiful here at that time too.

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 01:42 PM

Hi KathyK,
All great suggestions here. And a fun Chgo experience that I drag all my friends and family to when they visit (and they end up loving) is getting tix for the Chicago improv troupe 'Baby Wants Candy' at the ImprovOlympic (now I.O.) theater. The warm-up set can be PAINFUL, but hang in there for the veteran improvisers. They improvise a musical from an audience suggestion. The tix sell out every weekend, so it's good to book in advance and get there a little early for a table. Tix are around $12, I recall. You'll be right on North Clark street (around 3550 N. Clark)- and right next to Wrigley Field -- which is really fun to see. On North Clark, there's too many great restaurants to list but here are two that I visit often: Chen's (Chinese/Japanese - try the steamed vegetable dumplings) and Heaven on Seven (cajun). Hop in a cab and get there for about $10-12 from your hotel (take clark street up to see the main drag through Lincoln Park, Lakeview and Wrigleyville) and Lake Shore Drive back to the hotel for a beautiful night view of our skyline. Certainly walking east on Addison over to Broadway and walking south for several blocks is a nice way to see more of the city. (Then, at Belmont, catch a cab back on to Lake Shore Drive for that scenic night view of our great skyline.) Should be a great weekend!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:48 PM

KathyK, for "upscale/casual" dining, you might want to consider the State and Rush area, where State St and Rush St meet. Carmine's has good Italian and a swanky vibe. Tavern on Rush is quite the hip spot. Hugo's Frog Bar and Gibson's are very popular, albeit very lively, but in superb locations. Plus, Rush/State is walking distance to Michigan Ave in the Gold Coast area, so you can't go wrong with location.

I also recommend visiting Marshall Field's flagship store on State St. Go to their Walnut Room for some Frango Mint pie. You've never had anything like it. Plus, it's right across the street from Wicked.

Oh, and I wouldn't bother hitting Navy Pier to do anything except get on an architecture tour boat. Navy Pier is a tourist trap, not a whole lot to offer, and no good restaurants.

And where you're staying, North Michigan Ave will be pretty much unavoidable. You won't be able to resist doing some window shopping.

Have fun!

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:17 PM

Ditto on avoiding Navy Pier! Don't even be tempted. I have to recommend Gino's East pizza - there's nothing like Chicago Pizza, it's the greatest!
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 04:49 AM

I was at Navy Pier last weekend with my 9 year old neice. I think it is mainly fun for Children (unless you are going to the admittedly excellent chicago Shakespeare Theater). I only had fun because she did, but I certainly wouldn't go there with friends. If you've ever been to faneuil hall in Boston then you sort of get the idea, trinkets, games, and touristy stuff. My little neice loves the Ferris Wheel though, so whenever she comes and visits I take her for a ride.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Can anyone recommend a restaurant for dinner on Friday night before we see Wicked at the Ford Center? Is Trattoria No. 10 nearby? It sounds like a good restaurant from what I've read other places, and I believe it is near the theatre. Also, is there more than one architectural boat tour? I'm reading about lake tours and river tours, do I have to choose or does it take you along both? Is it advisable to purchase tickets in advance, or are they generally available the same day. We'd be going on Saturday.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:57 AM

There are both river and lake cruises. Some do both, but you spend a considerable chunk of time sitting in the locks in both directions if you choose to combine them.

I have taken a Wendella river/lake cruise and wouldn't do it again. From everything I've read, the Chicago Architecture Foundation river cruises are the best, if you're interested in architecture. If you just want to see the buildings and be on the water, it may not matter so much.

It might be fun, if you have time, to do an architecture river cruise and maybe a sunset lake cruise with cocktails? I have no recommendations on that, but it sounds like fun.

As for when to purchase tickets - I'd guess they won't be as busy when you're there, so you may be OK purchasing when you get there. The advantage of this is that you don't get stuck sitting in a boat when it's bitterly cold or worse, rainy.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 11:45 AM

Is the Mashed Potato Club still around? I used to love that restaurant -- casual and very, very fun. Haven't been to Chicago in a few years, though, so maybe a local can comment on it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:31 PM

ttt & good example of a travel thread...
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:36 PM

Trattoria No. 10 is very close by-about a 10 minute walk tops. I would reserve the architectural boat tour ahead of time for the time you want as it tends to fill up quickly, even in the Fall.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 02:58 PM

Trattoria #10 is a great choice and close by. Wonderful italian food. Make reservations.

Mashed Potato Club is no more.

Petterinos is another choice and they cater to the theatre diners. Right on Randolph. Trattoria #10 is better though.

312 Restaurant in the hotel Allegro is another good one. Right in the theatre district.

Of the three, Trattoria has the most atmosphere but all have very good food and are close to your theatre.

I recommend making reservations and telling them that you have tickets.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:43 AM

KathyK, there are some excellent suggestions here. I'll mention my picks.

Best way to see the city of Chicago: From all angles--up, down, from in and out. For up, take a stroll north on Michigan Avenue (preferably in the evening) and look up at the buildings. For down, go to the Signature Lounge in the John Hancock building (on the 95th floor) for drinks and the spectacular view. From in: take the Chicago Architecture Foundation River cruise - best two hours you can spend viewing the city skylight from the river - AND by taking a ride on the El (our elevated train--although you probably will already, coming from the airport into the city). And from out: for more water adventures, try the Tall Ship Windy (our four-masted schooner, reminiscent of wind-powered 19th century vessels) and see the skyline from the lake.

What I'd recommend if you are taking the CAF cruise: take the earliest one Saturday morning. Then when you are through, walk south on Michigan Avenue 3 blocks to Millennium Park, spend some time exploring it then continue south to the Art Institute. Get the audio tour if you are going to do the Toulouse Lautrec and Montmatre exhibit--it really is SO much better with it. Also, don't miss the Thorne minature rooms on the lower level - just lovely.

If you are going to Wicked that evening, I do recommend Trattoria No. 10 but also Golden Budha (on Randolph about 4 blocks west of the Oriental) - Chinese steakhouse with a wonderful waterfall ambiance.

I also agree that the shopping area on Armitage, especially between Halsted and Racine, is a good choice. If you are planning on doing that on Sunday, what I'd recommend is brunch at North Pond, on the north end of the lagoon in Lincoln Park. Way to get there: go to Michigan Avenue and pick up the #151 NB bus (which goes up into Lincoln Park). It's one of the most scenic bus routes in the city. You want to get off at the stop by the Lincoln Park Zoo. Then walk north, past the flower gardens (with fountains), maybe stopping in the Lincoln Park Conservatory. Then go north past Fullerton. You will see the Nature Museum to your right (fine for kids, a little too young for adults, IMHO). Take the path BETWEEN the lagoon and the Nature Museum and walk north. Just a lovely walk (of a couple of blocks) which will end at the North Pond.

Then head on over to the shopping area (cab would be best). Afterward, if you wanted to go to a jazz club in the evening, Pops for Champagne has no cover on Sundays or, if a blues club, the same cover gets you into both B.L.U.E.S. (on N. Halsted) and Kingston Mines (sister club kitty-corner across street).

Also, the Green Mill, one of our iconic venues - the gin mill where Al Capone used to frequent - has the Uptown Poetry Slam on Sunday nights.

Other recommended dining:

When you go to the John Hancock, Le Colonial (French Vietnamese) - 1.5 blocks NW from the John Hancock on N. Rush St.

Aria in the Fairmont (very close to Millennium Park)

Lincoln Park: Cafe Bernard/Red Rooster Cafe (French); Boka (south on Halsted, very close to the Steppenwolf and Royal George Theatres).

Have fun while you are here!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

I'm back from Chicago and just wanted to thank everyone for all of your suggestions on this and a few other threads I started seeking information for our trip. I can report that we had a wonderful time. Chicago is great! We saw Wicked, which was a wonderful story and beautifully performed, went on an architectural boat tour, saw Millenium Park, walked the Miracle Mile, spent some time in Lincoln Park, saw the city at night from the top of the John Hancock building and had some wonderful meals. I can't say enough about the food. We had lunch on Friday at the Billy Goat Tavern under the Wrigley building. We felt like we were with the Soup Nazi. We had dinner on Friday night at Trattoria #10 and on Saturday at the Atwood, both which I would highly recommend. We had breakfast on Saturday at Heaven on Seven across from Marshall Field's and on Sunday we had breakfast at 312 Chicago which was excellent. Also had pizza at Lou Malnati's. I'm from Buffalo where we had excellent pizza, so I wasn't particularly impressed with Chicago pizza, but it wasn't bad. We stayed at the Hotel Allegro (Hotel Burnham was our first choice but that didn't work out) which worked well for us. They gave us an early check in, late check out, and adjoining rooms. One dissapointment was that Sugar was closed when we tried to go there for dessert on Saturday night. It looked like it might be permanently closed. All in all it was a great weekend and I'm looking forward to returning someday. Thanks again for all the great advice.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:58 AM
JJ5

KathyK, we had luncheon at Atwood Cafe Saturday as well. And wasn't it the most perfect downtown day all around!

We were the group of 5 with the tall blonde 10 year old who wore the tie around hot pink net top over a fancy T.
I think I saw your group and am sorry I didn't saunter up to say hi. I did remember this thread and did know it was the same weekend but wasn't sure it was the same day. And I did not realize you were going to Atwood, or I would have. I think we might have made eye contact standing out in front as we were leaving. Maybe not- but I smiled and I had a feeling. It could have been someone else from your group just as easily. Well if my physic isn't working- hello again now. AND I'm glad you enjoyed all- because I sure did too.

And to all and KathyK- come back to our GTG on Dec. 10, 12:30 at Cafe Iberico downtown/River North area. Welcome, welcome! Please check the Chicago GTG thread the week before Thanksgiving for a final count.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

JJ5, maybe I didn't make it clear in my post, we had dinner, not lunch on Saturday at the Atwood, therefore, that wasn't me that you spotted. We were sorry that we didn't order dessert there, the menu looked great. We thought we'd be having dessert at Sugar, so we passed on the Atwood desserts. If the Atwood had been open after 11, we would have returned after finding Sugar closed. And yes, the weather couldn't have been any better! Another comment about Chicago, I found it a very city to get around in. Very easy to get from the airports to the hotels and then very easy to navigate. We mostly walked, but the few cab rides we took were very inexpensive. I think that even one without a good sense of direction would have no problems in Chicago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -