Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Girls' Weekend in Chicago - need suggestions please!

Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Hello All, I'm new here and I'm helping plan a girls' weekend for me and my college friends (all of us are in our early 30s). We've chosen Chicago this year in August. We'll be there for 3 nights over a weekend. All of us enjoy good food, wine and cocktails, some sightseeing, maybe a show.

I need help with basically ALL of the trip. Any suggestions for the following:

Moderately priced hotel in a nice neighborhood for 4-6 women

Restaurant and lounge suggestions

Shopping areas

And if you've got some time on your hands, maybe a suggested itinerary for the 2 full days that we'll be there.

Thanks so much, I've heard great things about the people here.

marathonmama
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:17 PM

Hi Marathonmama,

I did a girl's trip to Chicago to see Oprah for my birthday and we had so much fun! We stayed at one of the smaller hotels there - The Knickerbocker. It's just off the Miracle Mile and across the street from the legendary Drake Hotel. We have a beautiful afternoon tea at the Drake one afternoon. The hotel is something to see in itself! All the shopping you could possibly want just a block away. I think Wicked is still in town - just saw it in New York and loved it! Hope this helps!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:17 PM

Welcome! For Chicago, lots of people recommend using Priceline or Hotwire for hotels (and I would start now). It sounds like you haven't been to Chicago before, so you'll probably want something in the River North/Loop area. For example, I thought the Hyatt was a perfect location for my trip in March, because it was within walking distance of both the Loop and Magnificent Mile areas, as well as Millennium Park and the Art Institute. It's on East Wacker, just east of Michigan - if you look at a map you'll probably see what I mean. (The hotel was fine, not amazing - just an idea of location to get you started.)

For sightseeing, it depends on what you like. I definitely recommend the Architecture Foundation's river cruise - great way to see the city, although it'll be hot in August. The Art Institute is great, and I loved the Field Museum (and natural history is not usually my thing). Then there's Wrigley Field, the Lincoln Park Zoo, Hancock Center...

There's tons of shopping downtown. The Magnificent Mile has a lot of higher end stores - Neiman Marcus, Tiffany, I'm drawing a blank but there are more - as well as flagship versions of stores like Ann Taylor and Crate & Barrel. State Street in the Loop has more gigantic versions of Old Navy, New York & Co., Filene's Basement, TJ Maxx, Urban Outfitters. There's an H&M on both. The flagship Marshall Field's/Macy's is also on State Street, with the famous Tiffany glass ceiling. The Lincoln Park area has smaller shops and, I've heard, is a great neighborhood to walk around in (I haven't spent too much time there yet).

Wicked is still there; we saw it in London and it was GREAT. I've never heard anyone say they didn't like it. But there are other shows as well - I think the Color Purple just opened or is about to, 25th Annual Putnam Co. Spelling Bee, Tony & Tina's Wedding, I'm sure there's more. Second City (improv comedy) is really fun.

Hope that helps some!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:08 PM

I lived in Chicago for 20 years and can recommend some great restaurants. If you like Mexican, definitely go to Adobo Grill or Frontera grill. They are both upscale Mexican and DELICIOUS. (great margaritas too). Adobo is right down the street from the 2nd City theatre -- which I would suggest if you want the feel of a real Chicago theatre. Quartino is a great italian restaurant downtown and that is across the street from Embassy Suites on State which usually has pretty good rates.

For shopping, you can just walk down Michigan and find just about anything. Watertower is a little north of Embassy Suites. If you keep going farther north you will find some more boutiquey stores as well as Anthropology & Urban Outfitters (Just north of Chicago on State)

There's also Navy Pier with lots of restaurants and bars. Very touristy, but fun if it's a nice night.

You may also want to have a cocktail on the 95th floor of the John Hancock. Drinks are pricey, but you avoid paying the admission of the rooftop museum -- and the view is just as good! It's a nice place to relax after a long day of shopping!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:17 PM

Here is my standard list of things to do in Chicago:

1. The Impressionist galley at The Art Institute. Some of their paintaings include "Sunday on La Grande Jette" by George Seurat, "Paris Street; Rainy Day" by Gustave Caillebotte, numerous Monets, Kandinski, Picasso, Casset, Edward Hooper's "Night Hawks" and Grant Wood's "American Gothic" just to name a few of the more famous pieces. Also, Don't miss the Thorne Room Miniatures.

2. The Courtyard restaurant inside the Art Institute. That is a very unique experience, a sheltered outdoor restaurant with tables arranged around the fountain.

3. If the weather is nice take a walking tour of the Loop. See some of the public art. Start at the Sear's Tower. See the Calder Mobile in the lobby, The Calder Stabile in the Federal Center Plaza, the Picasso in the Daley Center, the Miro across the street from the Picasso, the Chagall at First National Plaza, and the Dubuffet at the James R. Thompson Center (formerly the State of Illinois Center). Walk down the "Canyon" of LaSalle street. Note the statue of Ceres on top of the CBOT.

4. Go to Millenium Park at night to hear a concert then walk to Buckingham Fountain (or the Married w/Children Fountain to the rest of the world!)and watch the light show.

5. Carefully cross Lake Shore Drive and go to the Queen's Landing and go on a boat ride. See the Chicago skyline at night (beautiful! But take a jacket b/c it can be cold out on the water)

6. Go out to the Planetarium at any time to see a beautiful view of the Chicago sky line.

7. Shopping on North Michigan Ave. Especially Water Tower Place.

8. Drinks at the Signature Lounge at the top of the John Hancock building. (I am going to stop recommending this activity b/c the last time I went there it was FULL and I could not go up!!!)
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much, that's a huge help. I'll start looking for hotels now that I know where the "hot spots" are. I appreciate your time!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:33 AM

You're probably not going to go to Hot Doug's (big mistake) but you should try the Underground Wonder Bar at 10 E. Walton.