Chicago trip help!

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago trip help!

I'm surprising my husband with a weekend in Chicago for his 40th bday (we're from NYC). He loves the blues so I'd like to take him to some good blues clubs while we're there as well as nice dinners. Also looking for hotel recommendations? considering the Westin River North and the
Monaco. Also, what other can't miss things to see/do while we're there for the weekend? Thanks so much!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM
JJ5

It's been said before, and I normally don't post this, because it sounds like a "dis"- but do a search here. There's a function. Chicago blues clubs or Chicago hotel.

There was just in this last week or two a whole string of threads upon the Priceline or other methods AND there was one one on blues clubs. You'll get a bunch of current info the fastest this way.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:19 PM

For blues it has to be Koko Taylor's House of Blues.

http://www.hob.com/venues/clubvenues/chicago/

Here is my standard list of things to do in Chicago:

1. The Impressionist galley at The Art Institute. Some of their paintaings include "Sunday on La Grande Jette" by George Seurat, "Paris Street; Rainy Day" by Gustave Caillebotte, numerous Monets, Kandinski, Picasso, Casset, Edward Hooper's "Night Hawks" and Grant Wood's "American Gothic" just to name a few of the more famous pieces.

2. The Courtyard restaurant inside the Art Institute. That is a very unique experience, a sheltered outdoor restaurant with tables arranged around the fountain.

3. If the weather is nice take a walking tour of the Loop. See some of the public art. See the Calder Mobile in the Sear's Tower, The Calder Stabile in the Federal Center Plaza, the Picasso in the Daley Center, the Miro across the street from the Picasso, the Chagall at First National Plaza, and the Dubuffet at the James R. Thompson Center (formerly the State of Illinois Center). Walk down the "Canyon" of LaSalle street. Note the statue of Ceres on top of the CBOT.

4. Go to Millenium Park at night to hear a concert then walk to Buckingham Fountain (or the Married w/Children Fountain to the rest of the world!)and watch the light show.

5. Carefully cross Lake Shore Drive and go to the Queen's Landing and go on a boat ride. See the Chicago skyline at night (beautiful! But take a jacket b/c it can be cold out on the water)

6. Go out to the Planetarium at any time to see a beautiful view of the Chicago sky line.

7. Shopping on North Michigan Ave.

8. Drinks at the Signature Lounge at the top of the John Hancock building. (I am going to stop recommending this activity b/c the last time I went there it was FULL and I could not go up!!!)
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:19 AM

http://www.chicagoreader.com/listings/static/blues.html

and

http://www.houseofblueshotel.com/
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:46 AM

for Blues, there are 2 locations on Clark St., apltly called BLUES or Blues Chicago. Get there about 9 pm to secure a great booth and enjoy.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Have never stayed at the Monaco, but you cannot go wrong with the Westin. Great Location.