ggrtist and bonniebroad

Jun 9th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

ggrtist and bonniebroad

Hey ggrtist, THANKS SO MUCH for your trip report. I so enjoyed reading it and got some great tips.

I addresses this to bonniebroad too because she's so helpful!

Okay, I have several questions for you after reading your trip report post. Hope you can help me.

Oh, before I forget, I'm SO GLAD to hear the stretch limo worked out! I've posted twice asking about Royal Pacific Limo Service, and no one responded, so it sounds like they're a decent company.

Okay, here starts the questions.

We plan to visit Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC). Plan to rent a car and travel around the entire island. Plan to leave early around 8am from Waikiki and head for the North Shore side. We will be limited to activities where we don't get sandy or wet because we will be going to PCC.

Got 3 great ideas from your TR. Dole Plantation, Waimea Valley Audubon Center, and Turtle Bay Resort.

The maze sounds fun! So that would be a great stop.

Waimea Valley would work because I really want to visit as many waterfalls as possible AND the kids could swim (not me, it would mess up my hair). Can you give me details regarding time and cost.

Turtle Bay Resort - sounds like some place to check out!

Anymore suggestions for trip along with windward side of island for our trip BACK from PCC to Waikiki. We're talking leaving PCC around 5pm to head back.

Now for a couple more questions:

Catamaran ride out of Diamond Head - cost and time involved? Where did you go on your ride and did they do a little narrating about Oahu? ALso, name of company.

First let me say that I have a VERY NEGATIVE attitude regarding luaus. When we went to Hawaii (yrs ago), went on a luau that was SUPPOSE to be one of the bests. Well, I was SO DISAPPOINTED because it was basically a bunch of large picnic tables, 200 people there with us, and a stage for the Hawaiian show. The show was good, but I expected more of what a "traditional" luau would be. Small number of people sitting around a fire, dancing to Hawaiian music and a Hawaiian show and fire dance. Your experience sounds very different. Do you remember the approx costs per person?

Also, one last question, we're staying at the HHV, do you think we could snorkel on the HHV beach?

Jun 9th, 2004, 11:04 AM

mlarson,

Would you mind sharing which luau you attended? I'm on the fence about going to one and I sure don't want to go the one you went to!
Jun 9th, 2004, 11:18 AM

>>>(not me, it would mess up my hair). <<<

MLarson, you've just made me cry. I understand. I understand. LOL.

If it will help, my family has decided to skip doing a luau. While my husband and I "did" enjoy it during our earlier visit to Maui and Kauai, this time around we simply didn't want to spend the money. I do await to hear your final decision on it though.

Cats Do (Need Nice Hair To) Dance
Jun 9th, 2004, 11:23 AM
bonniebroad

Mlarson, you are a peach! Here is a link for you that may give you some valuable info for your drive North:

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/drives/oahu/ci.htm

NOW, it sounds as though you are not planning to see the evening show at PCC, which, to my mind, is the best thing about the whole place! My sister and I did the whole she-bang. Bus sightseeing tour out of Waikiki... arriving at PCC in very early afternoon so we could explore the whole park, then the dinner buffet, then the FABULOUS, FABULOUS evening show! The best show I've even seen, in all my visits to Hawaii; shows at luaus do not compare.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to sightsee other things, until about 3 PM or so, then go to PCC, explore the villages, then do the luau or buffet dinner and see that evening show. It is magnificent, and your children are of an age to love it! JMHO............. Had to say it, because seeing that show is one of my very best Hawaiian memories.

I know you will have a terrific time, whatever you decide to do. I hope you will find the website interesting and helpful!

Jun 9th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Blacktie

Bonnie, I cooked your bar-b-que, and loved/lived to tell about it. So, I'll trust you about Maui ... which luau ... anything near Ka'anapali?

Thank you!

Jun 9th, 2004, 11:45 AM
bonniebroad

Blacktie, our Maui luau experience was not good. I went to the Marriott luau on Kaanapali Beach, and it was SO BAD!!!!!!!!! Now, my sister did the Old Lahaina Luau and loved it (and I trust her judgment completely!) At the Marriott, the MC was so cheesy, the dancing was not good, and if the drinks had seen ANY alcohol, it would surprise me. The food was just okay........ If I were going on Maui, I would make it the Old Lahaina......... (and I knew you'd love that bbq!;-) )

Jun 9th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

I hate to admit it, but it was 1983 when we went, so I don't remember the name of the luau. I do remember it was recommended to us as one of the "Better ones", NOT!

Bonniebroad, the reason why we've chose NOT to stay for the evening show is honestly because of $$$. In order to do the luau and night show with DECENT seats, it would have cost us $300 for the 4 of us, and I'm not willing to pay that. My budget is tight. Instead, we chose to spend the $$$'s for a one day trip to the Big Island. I booked directly with Aloha Airlines and Thrifty and for all 4 of us, it cost $500. We just felt that was what we wanted to do vs. PCC. Plus, for PCC I found we can buy General Admission tickets (which can only be purchased at the gate, not online) and using my Entertainment coupon ($27 savings)the total cost for all 4 of us is $80. Big difference!
Jun 9th, 2004, 11:59 AM
bonniebroad

I certainly can see your point, Mlarson. You have to choose what you think would suit your family/budget best. I know, when you're taking two children, you have to double everything (expense!) I think the Big Island trip is a great choice; you will have a blast!