curious creatures, Hawaii or other tropical spots

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy, sometimes when I read these boards I feel like I must be one of the poorest travelers on here Last year stayed at the modest but quaint Outrigger Napili Shores and got an oceanfront room with lanai steps from the beach for $110/nt and I thought we were going all out. Except for being surprised by a couple lil geckos, it was awesome! Guess that's the beauty of traveling, there's something for everyone.
Am curious, for those who have been to fancier 5* hotels on Hawaii, do geckos hang out there too?
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 11:29 AM
DB

Yes, but only the chic, well-to-do geckos. I believe we spotted the "Geico" gecko on Kauai last year.

:-"
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 12:27 PM

I don't think any hotel, no matter how fancy, can keep bugs/critters out in the tropics...those little guys don't discriminate, a building's a building, although maybe when they're at the Four Seasons they hold out one pinky when drinking. One of our favorite parts of staying at the Hana Hale Malamalama on Maui was the resident albino kitchen gecko, who I hoped was helping to keep us at least a little less buggy!

love
roxy
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 01:33 PM
gyppielou

Never met a gecko I didn't like!

Old Apr 13th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

funny!! well I'll admit, I guess I was quite naive and no one warned me bout them before my trip. I didn't see any the whole stay in Waikiki, but by first night in Maui, think I was greeted by that same albino gecko Roxy! I think he liked the smell of pizza in the oven. Anyway I was pretty wigged out at first, but by night 3 I started getting used to them. If I run into any on my Waikiki trip this time, I'll just make friends!
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 02:36 PM

We have stayed in condos and really nice hotels on Kaanapali Beach. We saw more gecko's in our room and on the grounds of the Sheraton than anywhere else we have stayed. They wont bother you and are supposed to be good luck. Plus, they eat the bugs! We stayed in ground floor Condos in December and March and have never had a critter problem. I think the many birds help too!. There are a lot of people on this board who are not wealthy! We just save every penny we have to go to paradise!
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 05:30 PM

Geckos hang out in single family homes too. I guess the ones you saw were taking a vacation like you.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 06:50 PM

We rented the cleanest, all-white interior house on Kauai which had a "Gekko" sign at the front door which read "Mahalo for removing your shoes". (The plaque was so cute, we actually bought one to put on our house at home.) Little did we know that at least one gekko would be sharing our living quarters. I think they slipped in as soon as we opened the door with our luggage. I am very phobic about bugs indoor, but the gekkos did not bother me. They have the funniest little laughing sound. I did notice dropping on the kitchen counter which were easily cleaned up each morning.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Well, we had a lizard stay with us (couldn't tell if he was was gecko or not since he only popped out his head until we tried to get closer) at the Princeville in Kauai! This was a delight to my husband who tried to stay up at night so he could take a picture of our roomie. This lizard was hanging out under the wooden trim along the edge of the ceiling and would stick out his head on occassion. I guess they are everywhere!
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 11:14 AM

During my vacation in Waikiki last summer (I stayed at the Hawaiiana Hotel) I had the cutest little green gecko who would look in the window at me every morning. I woke up while it was still dark nearly every day and he was on the ledge outside my window every morning. I nearly killed myself climbing up on a chair to get a close-up picture of him to take home to my 4 year old grandson!

When my ex used to live in Maui and me & the kids would go visit every summer, he had resident geckos in his place. It was fun once we got used to them scurrying across the wall or ceiling. The one that fell off the top of the door onto my head scared me a bit though, but I probably scared him more when I yelled! My daughter (6 at the time) captured one and wanted it as a pet. She put it in a cup of water. Of course he drowned. She was so upset - we poured him (and the water) out onto the grass in front of the house and when she returned after her nap he was gone. She thought he woke up from his "nap" and ran off, she never knew dad got rid of the body!