Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Getting to the Hamptons from Washington, DC-- suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello-
My family and I are going to the Hamptons for a few months this summer. We live in Washington, DC, but are new to the DC area. I'm not sure what the best way is to get to the Hamptons from this area. We'll need to bring a car at the beginning of the season. I heard there was a ferry from Delaware, but so far I've been unsuccessful in finding it.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get there? I'd be so grateful for any guidance.

Thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:24 AM

The ferry you're referring to runs across the mouth of Delaware Bay from Lewes, Delaware, to Cape May, New Jersey. Cape May, while a lovely place, is still a long, long way from eastern Long Island, and it is definitely not the most direct route.

Were you to choose to use it, you would drive almost due east (hardly the most direct route) about an hour-and-a-half across the DelMarVa peninsula from Washington to Lewes. You'll have to contend with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge at Annapolis, often traffic-choked. Then, once in NJ, you'd go up the Garden State Parkway about two to three hours to the New York City Metro area. From there, you'd have to make your way through or around Manhattan, and then drive two to three more traffic-laden hours to the Hamptons.

Even by the "fastest" route, I-95 north, through Baltimore, across the Delaware Memorial Bridge, then up the NJ Turnpike to the NY area, it's about a 7-hour trip, non-stop, in good traffic. However, you can count on traffic not being good unless you travel in the middle of the night.

Have you thought of making this a two-day trip via Cape May? If you did that, you could stop there overnight at a B&B and have a pretty good dinner at one of its better restaurants. You'd need to do this during the week, however, as virtually every B&B, and there are some very attractive ones, has a two- or three-night weekend minimum.

This two-day itinerary is unquestionably more scenic than the I-95 routing; it's a matter of choice. Just be aware that, whichever route you choose, traffic can be horrendous. And, once you reach the vicinity of the Hamptons, the express highways devolve into two-lane country roads, where traffic can be bumper-to-bumper for frustratingly long periods of time.

This is almost one of those "you can't get there from here" scenarios! Have you thought of chartering a helicopter? That would be very Hamptons-like. LOL! Oh, wait, you need a car. Well, nix the helicopter.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM

I would suggest you need to leave at least 8 hours for the trip - at least 2 more if you get into rush hour traffic.

The ferry route you're talking about may be pretty but will take much longer - and agree if you do that to spend a night on the way.

Whatever you do don;t go near NYC anytime after 2pm on Friday until at least 9 pm at night.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Gosh, this is not what I was hoping to hear!! Oh well. Guess we have a serious road trip on our hands (with our toddler!).
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM

I'm not going to be able to help you much with road directions from DC, but I can help you with bypassing most of NYC.

I would strongly suggest driving over the Goethels Bridge into Staten Island, over the Verrazano Narrows Bridge into Brooklyn, and then onto Eastern LI from there. That way you bypass Manhattan (unless you want to see it).
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:12 PM

That route is indeed best for avoiding Manhattan - but as soon as you're out into Queens you will hit traffic heading out to the Hamptons. You should plan on being in Queens before 2 in the afternoon on a Friday or late at night.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM

I agree that Staten Island is the best route from the south to avoid Manhattan. But, be aware that the Staten Island Expressway, which connects the Goethals and Verrazano Narrows Bridges, can slow to a crawl at almost any hour of the day. And, the Belt Parkway east from the Verrazano is no great bargain, either.

As nytraveler has suggested, consider carefully the day of the week and the time of day (or night) you want to attempt this journey.
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM

I have driven the route and while taking the Verrazano bridge bypasses Manhattan, it's not necessarily better or faster. The Belt Parkway is the major artery used by many beach-goers and by those coming and going to JFK airport. I definitely suggest making a stop overnight if you can.

One idea is for Mom and child to take the train to NYC while Dad drives and meets you there. Spend the night in NYC. From there all drive the following morning out to the Hamptons.