Road trip Poughkeepsie NY to Wilmington NC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to drive from NY to Wilmington NC and would like to avoid I95. I'm looking for suggestions for alternate routes - and maybe a good idea for a one night stop over on the way. I'll be going on a weekday and returning on a Sunday. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! I'd also like to know if anyone thinks I95 is the best way to go. Thanks!!! Barbara
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 06:05 PM

¥ou could take the Garden State Parkway to Cape May, then take the ferry to Lewes, DE, drive down the DELMARVA to the Bay Bridge Tunnel. Eventually hook up with 17 to Wilmington. It will take longer, and have more tolls, but is a more pleasant ride than 95.

95 (NJ Tpk not through Philly) to 40 is usually the fastest way to go but is basically soulless. There is always traffic in the DC area, usually some in NJ, once you get past Richmond it's usually smooth sailing.

When DS went to UNCW we did the trip from CT often usually on 95. DS must have flown low because he often took only 12 hours to do it with 1 stop for gas starting at 4 AM to get through NY city by 7 AM. DH and I never took less than 14 hours, we often made a trip of it and stopped at Civil War Battle fields, or did the Cape May ferry route with a stop at Chincoteague and a night or two along the way. In our dotage we don't do 14 hour marathons now.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 01:40 AM
J62

What part of 95 do you want to avoid.

Personally, I'd do this route:

I84 to NYS Thruway, south to exit 14/Garden State Parkway, then connect to NJ Turnpike (95) in central NJ.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 03:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Recently did the part of I-95 you would be using between Washington, DC and the I-40 junction with I-95 you would then use to Wilmington.

I have driven this route many MANY times both when I lived "around the Beltway" and now that I live in South Florida.

The key to light(er) traffic if THAT is what concerns you is traveling very early in the day (or very late) around Washington, DC.

The worst part of that might be the stretch of I-95 between the Beltway and Fredericksburg.

And I would use the I-295 bypass around Richmond, too.

Yes you can do the 301 south number or the 1-13-113 number to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and then perhaps 17 South but all of THAT just to avoid DC?

Sorry, not worth it IMO but to each their own.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 05:16 AM

We take the Bridge Tunnel twice a year to and from Florida from NYC. I find it more pleasant than I-95.

Some more experienced drivers helped me in planning my drives a few years ago; there is a lot of food info here but also some route details:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...n-va-nc-sc.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-northeast.cfm
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 03:49 AM

I live in Ulster County and have made the trip south many times. I find that the I95 route, especially through the area between Baltimore and Northern Virginia to be especially stressful.

For that reason, I suggest I84 to Scranton, then I81 south to I64 towards Richmond, then I95 south to I40 east to Wilmington. Google maps reports this route to take about two more hours than a direct I95 route, but you will feel much more relaxed after the trip.

You might consider staying at one of the numerous hotels in Harrisonburg, VA as about half way.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 06:56 AM

I haven't done it but looking at Google and the above suggestion, this looks good
This route is about an hour different from I95. It is also pretty scenic--I have done parts of it.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Poug...34.2257255!3e0
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great suggestions! I think we may do the I-84 to I-81 Route to avoid 1-95, although I'm also thinking about taking I-87 to 287 to 81...big decisions! We aren't exactly road warriors and would normally fly, but fares are just too high for this weekend so we are being brave!
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 01:54 AM

Don't know if you go that way often, but be sure to eat some BBQ down around Wilson.
In fact, if you got off I95 and took the road south to Goldsboro you could eat at one of the iconic restaurants in the south--Wilber's BBQ. OR in the same town, there is Scott's. The latter has its own fame as being owned by a black family but has had white patrons come to it since even the 20's.
This road takes you there without even going out of your way to get on to Wilmington.
Oh, and you also go through Mt Olive, of pickle fame!!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Poug...34.2257255!3e0
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 02:57 AM

The Stonewall Jackson Hotel in Staunton, Va would make a nice overnight stop. There are two excellent restaurants in that small city.