Driving trip from Mass to Colonial Williamsburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning an August trip - driving from the Springfield MA area to Williamsburg, and then on the way back planning to hit DC for a couple of nights with the goal of seeing the Mall museums and monuments (Video Game exhibit at the Smithsonian for the 10yo boy!). Total trip time to be less than a full week, with the drive down starting in the middle of the night.

I hear about the ferry from New Jersey as a shortcut to VA, along with the Chesapeake Tunnel (?)- Can I get some input on that? I guess it's not so much a time shortcut we care about as much as a break for my husband from driving. Is it worth the cost of the ferry?

Also, looking for family friendly hotel suggestions in the Williamsburg area - and especially in the outskirts of D.C. near public transportation to get to the Mall area. We have a 14yo and a 10yo. There is just sooo much info I don't know where to start!

Also, are we crazy for doing this in August (weather-wise) ??
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Even though it is about 55 miles farther, the route through Scranton and Mechanicsburg PA and to the west of DC on I-270 is within 10 minutes of the same time (10.6 hours)
About 6 hours from Springfield to Mechanicsburg and 4.6 hours to Williamsburg. I avoid driving in New Jersey any time I can.
DC is known for being oppresively hot in August.
Look for a hotel near Arlington or Reagan National if you are using the western route. If you want to be on the NE side of DC look for a hotel near Greenbelt which is the end of the Metro Green Line. I parked at Greenbelt Station free about 2 weeks ago (not overnight) and rode into the city.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:38 AM

Okay, you have three choices of route:

1. I-91 from Springfield to New Haven, then I-95 to Richmond, I-64 from Richmond to Williamsburg. There are lots of tweaks and recommended practices on this route (Tappan Zee Bridge rather than GW, Wilbur Cross and Merritt Parkways rather than I-95) but it is the straightest shot, and it is fine on a Saturday.

2. The Western Route I-91 to I-84 to I-81 to I-83 to I-95 to I-64. You still have to get around Washington

3. The Eastern Route: I-91 to Wilbur Cross to Merritt to Tappan Zee to Garden State Parkway to Cape May ferry to Lewes Delaware to Chesapeake Bay Bridge to I-64 to Williamsburg. This is a nice trip, through very scenic country in Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Virginia. It is more of an adventure rather than a slog.

I would not do the same route both ways. This is supposed to be a pleasure trip. I would go down by (3) and come back by (1) or (2).

If you don't have an EZ Pass, it will be worth its weight in gold on this trip.

I would look for a hotel in Arlington or near Reagan, as tomfuller suggests. It is very easy to get to the Mall from there.

It will be hot.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:21 AM

We did a loop recently from CT and did a variation on Ackislander's 2 route on the way down and took his 3 route on the way back.

The variation involved taking 84 to 81 and then getting off to visit Gettysburg and Harper's Ferry then down to Skyline Drive for a bit and then taking VA 30 to Richmond (for the Wood Machinery Show - the reason for a trip) then down on 64 to Williamsburg. You could do 81 to 30 (which was a nice ride through the countryside) to 64 if you didn't want the side trip, and this avoids the DC traffic completely.

On the way back we did stop at Chincoteague to see the ponies and wonderful birds.

The Massachusetts transponder works fine for the Bay Bridge and Garden State Pkwy and saves lots of time at tolls.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:32 AM

We LOVE driving over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel. It's a lot of fun & I think your boys will enjoy the trip. There is a restaurant & gift shop part way down that you can stop at. We have never taken the ferry from Delaware, just never thought of it, I guess. So we would drive through Delaware, & it is a very pretty drive in Delaware & the Eastern Shore of Virginia, as Ackislander says.

Too bad you don't have time to spend a few days at Chincoteague. You will drive right by it on your way to or from Chesapeake Bridge. Can you extend your trip by several days?
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:36 AM

Forgot to add that it will be hot but you will do fine. It's a bearable heat. Everytime I have been to DC it's been during the summer months. And if you spend a lot of time in the Smithsonian musuems, those will be air-conditioned. You can see the monuments at night when it's cooler.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 12:01 PM

We have vacationed in Williamsburg several times. We always stay at the Kingsmill Resort. Its a bit expensive but we have found it to be a good value because we always use the facilities extensively. Our last stay was last summer and we hear tha tthey have jazzed up the pool area since then. There is a convenient shuttle to Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and Water Country.

We are from the North Shore (MA) and we take the 90 to 84, over Tappan Zee to Garden State Parkway to 95 to 64 route. I don't know that I recommend it. Last summer we got stuck in a massive jam south of DC because of construction.

Its a great vacation though - we enjoyed our trips there so much my oldest daughter now goes to college in Virginia!.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 12:04 PM

The Washington Beltway can be a parking lot at times. If you could hit it very early in the morning or very late at night, that might ease your travel stress.

Going down the Delmarva peninsula sounds good at first, aside from the hefty toll you will have to pay going over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel near Norfolk. The problem is that you will have to then navigate the Hampton Roads Area, including the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, to head back northwest toward Willamsburg. This area can be exceptionally busy during the summer because it is a major tourist destination (Virginia Beach). Again, if you hit the area early in the day or late in the day, it might be fun. The Chesapeake Bay and Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnels can offer great views of the water.

Going all the way down I81 to Staunton and turning east on I64 to Richmond takes you too far out of the way. It would be a little like going from Boston to New York City by way of southern Vermont.

One possible alternative would be to take US 301 south from US 50 east of DC and cross the Potomac River and join up with I95 south of Fredericksburg Virginia. There is a toll for the bridge over the Potomac River by the way. But let's face it, nothing beats the interstate at non-peak hours. Not to mention the fact that it is a lot cooler driving at night!

As far as the Washington visit, there are newer hotels in the Virginia suburbs near Dulles Airport. Approaching DC from the west, the first Metro station you hit is in Vienna, Virginia. I would check the Washington Metro Website for parking and fees information.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 04:16 PM

Well I've been twice and the weather was OK in May. But in early July it was 99 and humid - absolutely unbearable - running from one AC place to another - and cutting some things short just because of the heat. Watch the weather carefully and do the AC stuff when it's worst. As for DC - we usually do late April/early May or October to have better weather.

Just be sure you carry plenty of water and stay hydrated.

There are a ton of hotel near Metro stops in nearby VA - I would do a Kayak search for the bet rates. Just be sure you are really near a Metro - not a shuttle or cab away.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 06:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I think your kids would really enjoy Kingsmill. There are a lot of activities and space to wander. It's safe enough that they can go to the pool or game room themselves. They are building a lazy river/pool complex but I don't know what the target finish date is.

Every hotel chain is represented in Williamsburg if you don't care for Kingsmill.

Coming from the CBBT to Williamsburg across the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel isn't bad as long as you avoid it during rush hours or Sunday evenings during beach season.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Kingsmill update for those interested:

NEW POOL COMPLEX

Opening Mid-July

A new family swimming complex is currently being built on the location of the former Bray Links 9-hole course. The complex will include a lazy river, pool, snack bar and sandy beach, all situated on the banks of the James River.

I'm a bit bummed out that the Bray Links course is gone, though not surprised. My girls learned to golf there. But it wasn't being maintained last summer and the new pool complex will be a nice addition.